Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-11, 07:18 PM   #1
revriff
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Homemade fish attractant????????

Does anyone have a good recipe for a garlic bass attractant

Thanks for any help
revriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 07:47 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hey rev I pour my own plastics and cook the garlic in. When I was using store bought I got excellent results by simmering several cloves of minced garlic in extra virgin olive oil for a long time and then straining the juice into a spray bottle or dipping jar. The real key to making this work though is to poke hundreds of tiny holes in the bait. I started by using a needle and doing them one at time and quickly graduated to pushing on them with a stiff wire brush ( you can do dozens in the time it used to take to do 10 with the needle) Also try simmering the bones and heads of a bunch of bluegills (or shad etc) and doing the same thing. After many years of fishing I must admit that scents are more important as a confidence booster for the fisherman than the fish...but hey..why not!
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 08:48 AM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just about all scents and or attractants for bait regardless of species targeted when homemade are somewhat messy,cutup hotdogs,blood meal and sweet annis make great catfish bait something like salt is easiest to add to plastics without quite the mess.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-11, 10:01 AM   #4
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I take a small jar of vaseline and melt in down in a sauce pan and the add a few minced cloves of garlic and some salt let it simmer for a bit and then pour it back into the jar. the vaseline will set back up and now you have a nice sented cream you can spread on hardbaits. It stays on far longer than sprays and it isnt gonna spill on your carpet. with all this said im not much of a sent guy especially on hardbaits lol so.... yeah. good luck man
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 04:33 PM   #5
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

garlic and used coffee grounds tend to work decent for me... but I found that sight and sound seems to have a much bigger impact than smell.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 06:38 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmuskie5 View Post
I take a small jar of vaseline and melt in down in a sauce pan and the add a few minced cloves of garlic and some salt let it simmer for a bit and then pour it back into the jar. the vaseline will set back up and now you have a nice sented cream you can spread on hardbaits. It stays on far longer than sprays and it isnt gonna spill on your carpet. with all this said im not much of a sent guy especially on hardbaits lol so.... yeah. good luck man
Like the idea allot, next time I'm in town I'll have to get some. One for garlic, one for coffee, one for craw dad parts!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.