Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-12, 03:59 PM   #1
coachpurdy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Need help mounting transducer

I just bought a huminbird 798 si combo. I am trying to mount it on a 2000 model 180 charger. It has a stepped hull and a set back transom. Looking for the safest and most efficient place. I've read about people having trouble with mounts breaking and kicking up when running at high speeds. My boat will run about 63 mph WOT. Any suggestions?
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 05:09 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Stepped pad is stepped on front and sides the back end is where one places it,involves drilling and placing screws in to hold it use caulking on the screws.
The back end is entirely flat ive had them on rear of pad to where this one is at,next to pad but not on it is about perfect for most boats,on the pad with a high speed boat can cause blowouts but 60 aint high speed mine has survived 90 mph and never kicked up,has an allen set screw in the pivot tighten some,it should protrude about 1/8 below boat.Speedo pitots do tip easily these when properly set do not.Again anywhere from where this one is to back of pad,this is an allison with a very small pad and high speed,wondered when I placed it if it would read at speed sure does.If your unsure take it to a mechanic.

If you have but a single hull back where bilge pump is at can normally epoxy one there,has to be single hull thickness however.
Your going to love that dual beam plus.And yes its a bass boat with a working livewell.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-03-12 at 05:31 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 05:42 PM   #3
bassboogieman

If you have a jackplate, I'm not sure by your post, check Trasnducer Shield & Saver. If you can drill & tap 3 holes it's a clean, secure way to mount a 'bird transducer. They are PRICEY, but if you consider the cost of replacing a transducer it's well worth the money. I'm not sure if they have brackets to mount on the transom, check their website for details. http://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/home/
The picture is NOT of my installation, this one is bolted on, I drilled & tapped mine. With this installation it would be extremely difficult to damage the transducer, it is very well protected mounted this way.

bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 06:08 PM   #4
lilmule

That appears to be a quad beam,can you read at speed with it?
On my stepped hull looks like be a about 4- 6 in short of the water,when on full pad.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 07:25 PM   #5
bassboogieman

As I noted this isn't my boat, but the 'ducer looks like mine which is from an 1197cSI. It's very likely this is a hydralic jackplate and may be raised for the pic. My J/p is a manual, and the 'ducer does stay below water level. Had to do a lot of measuring to get it set at correct height and level, but it will not move now that it's mounted.

Mine will read, and I mean hold bottom at moderate speeds. The SI won't work above about 10 MPH. I lose bottom at about 50 MPH or so. It's the reason, as mentioned in another post, I kept a Lowrance 510c sounder in the dash. I use it when I'm running on plane, and the 'bird is on full screen GPS mode, sorry I'm mean chartplotter mode. Don't want no more grief from NFE. I believe the company makes this product to fit many of the popular models of GPS/sounder units.

From what I've heard and read, the location of the transducer affects it's ability to hold bottom. Mine, on the j/p, is in a very turbulant area when up and running, but these 'ducers have to be mounted in the water. Mounting farther away from the motor/prop may increase the units ability to hold bottom at greater speed. My main reasong in selecting the j/p was to protect the 'ducer as much as possible and avoid putting any holes in my transom. They are pretty expensive to replace if lost or damaged. I also had the 510c to use when I'm on plane - that 'ducer is inside the hull - and it has no problem holding bottom at WOT.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-03-12 at 07:41 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.