Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-12, 11:13 AM   #1
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default KVD 1.5 and 2.5 Do they really hunt?

Saw a youtube video of KVD promoting this bait and saying how it took two years to develop, and claimed that everyone of them will "hunt" out of the package. You guys who have been using these, can you tell me if that is true? Plastic baits in general don't hunt, and it looks like an all plastic bait. Anyone have one of these that doesn't hunt?
Old 03-06-12, 11:43 AM   #2
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have 15-20 of these baits. Do they hunt, I don't know but they catch fish.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 02:29 PM   #3
rrw4258

I have seen KVD promoting the hunting thing too, and I couldn't see any "hunting" in the bait at a normal retrieve speed. But one day while sitting on the front deck when idleing to the next spot, I decided to drop the KVD 1.5 in the water, and when going about 4 mph, and pulling the bait next to the boat. About every second or two it would kick out to the left just a hair and then to the right. It was not rolling over in the water but just jukeing to the left and right maybe a couple of inches and then coming back to the center point.

Ryan
Old 03-06-12, 08:37 PM   #4
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

I use these and I haven't noticed them "hunt", maybe I'm just not watching closely enough, but they do catch fish.
Old 03-07-12, 12:35 AM   #5
Tavery5

I used these baits in the fall of last year in about 2ft of water, they worked well but I did not notice them "Hunt" at least as I understand the term. They did deflect well off of rock and wood.

What is funny is that the only bait that I have ever used that really exhibited this trait was the old Pre-Rapala Wiggle Wart, and back then we thought that it was a defective bait because we could not tune them to run correct. Some of those old Warts can bring 10-15 dollars each now. Great smallie bait, and they use to be the stuff on Beaver and Tablerock.
Old 03-07-12, 02:22 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
I have 15-20 of these baits. Do they hunt, I don't know but they catch fish.
Same here....
Old 03-07-12, 05:06 AM   #7
Jrob78

KVD is an amazing fisherman. He is the best professional bass fisherman we have ever seen. That said, he gets terminology wrong pretty frequently. He uses a medium action rod to throw his cranks that hunt. My guess is, he doesn't know exactly what hunt means.
Old 03-07-12, 06:57 AM   #8
kennethdaysale

The only hunting plugs I ever owned were Mirro-Lure cranks if we're using Ryans "jukeing" habit as a standard.
Old 03-07-12, 10:45 AM   #9
nofearengineer

Conversation overheard between fishing tackle company marketing department and R&D department:

Marketing: how's the new crankbait coming?

R&D: It's a failure...we've tried everything, but we just can't get a stable wobble.

Marketing: hmmmm, we'll call that a "design feature", and call it "hunting".
Old 03-07-12, 11:58 AM   #10
WaffleJaw

How about a definition of ''hunt''
Old 03-07-12, 12:41 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
How about a definition of ''hunt''
Hunting is when a crankbait will suddenly kick out to the side during the retrieve, then go back to traking straight. A crankbait that hunts will do it several times during a retrieve but there isn't a rhyme or reason to when it does it or which side it will kick out to. It's a subtle difference between a crankbait that hunts and another crankbait that doesn't hunt. But a lot of pros swear that the difference it makes to the fish is huge. I have heard most pros say that you can buy 100 of the exact same crankbait and maybe get 4 or 5 that will hunt. The KVD squarebills are supposed to have the hunting action built into them.
Old 03-07-12, 01:32 PM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Conversation overheard between fishing tackle company marketing department and R&D department:

Marketing: how's the new crankbait coming?

R&D: It's a failure...we've tried everything, but we just can't get a stable wobble.

Marketing: hmmmm, we'll call that a "design feature", and call it "hunting"..

Should be worth an extra buck or two
Old 03-07-12, 01:46 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Hunting is when a crankbait will suddenly kick out to the side during the retrieve, then go back to traking straight. A crankbait that hunts will do it several times during a retrieve but there isn't a rhyme or reason to when it does it or which side it will kick out to. It's a subtle difference between a crankbait that hunts and another crankbait that doesn't hunt. But a lot of pros swear that the difference it makes to the fish is huge. I have heard most pros say that you can buy 100 of the exact same crankbait and maybe get 4 or 5 that will hunt. The KVD squarebills are supposed to have the hunting action built into them.
Very Nice Kory thanks!

Not at all what I read awhile back...But I never see a solid definition for crankbait hunting.
Old 03-07-12, 01:51 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I suppose that erratic action is similar to when a crankbait deflects off of a piece of structure and helps trigger the reaction instinct.

It's kinda funny because most of the high end baits profess how straight they run right out of the package.
Old 03-07-12, 04:25 PM   #15
3dkicker

Pay attention to KVD's hands as he works the crankbaits through the water. You'll notice that he suddenly stops and starts his retrieve (he does this with spinnerbaits too). This helps in the "hunting" aspect of the bait because it stops and starts the bait making it move irratically through the water.....to mimic a injured fleeing fish (or that's what I think he's trying to do...).
Old 03-08-12, 02:47 AM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I suppose that erratic action is similar to when a crankbait deflects off of a piece of structure and helps trigger the reaction instinct.

It's kinda funny because most of the high end baits profess how straight they run right out of the package.
Very good point. Have you noticed how pre Rapala Wiggle Warts are so valuable to guys? It's because Rapala has done such a good job of making them run straight, that they don't have the erratic action that the did in the old days.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.