Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-05, 05:17 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default HEY PNJ, I bought a Pinnacle instead of a Shimano!

OK I got tired of the Shimano digs so I bought a Pinnacle Carrera(CRTLP10) today instead of a Shimano, does this make you happy now It has the same centrifugal breaking system, which so far I like. It was on sale for $89.99 instead of the regular price of $139.99. I bought it to use for buzzbaits and Lipless cranks, which I love to really crank. Anyway you being the owner of so many reels, thought you might have some insight on this purchase

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 05:24 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: HEY PNJ, I bought a Pinnacle instead of a Shim

I thought the Carrera was a spinning reel?
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 05:42 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=WTL link=board=MessBoards;num=1110831451;start=0#1 date=03/14/05 at 15:24:01]I thought the Carrera was a spinning reel?[/quote]

Carrera Titanium, and it's definately a baitcaster, perhaps they also have a spinning reel with that designation. I must say I haven't used it yet, but I'm really liking it, has a roller bearing, plus the six other bearing, with the wiffled spool. I might just take my Curado Super Free back and exchange it for the Pinnacle, at the price I could just about get 2 Pinnales for the price of the Curado SF $149.99.

Lizards
Old 03-14-05, 05:47 PM   #4
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea I looked the Carrera up on ebay and all I could find were spinning reels. Oh well, I trust that it truly is a baitcaster if it comes with centrifugal brakes. I'm not PnJ nor do I share his wealth of knowledge when it comes to baitcasters, but all my experiences with Pinnacle baitcasters have all been resoundingly positive.
Old 03-14-05, 06:53 PM   #5
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Dang Lizards, I was only picking on you Shimano people. I cannot find anything on the carrera baitcaster.but I love the pinnacle tetra reels I have. WTL, I do not know all there is to know about reels, I just have the oppertunity to clean and oil reels for people in my area here and to help people on this board when I can. I buy alot of different brands to see how one compares to each other. It is never my intention to make you feel uncomfortable in answering a question even if it were addressed in a picking manner towards me, feel free to give your opinion.We can all learn something from one another. ;D Lizards, I just wish we could go fishing sometime.If you do not like the Abu 3600 I sold you I will buy it back. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-05, 07:10 PM   #6
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

PnJ, I was neither being sarcastic or self effacing in my remarks. Point of fact is that you were the guy the question was addressed to and you have a more intimate knowledge of the workings of different brands of reels than I do. I was giving credit where credit is certainly due.

Never worry about me feeling afraid to give my opinion on a matter. The good folks in the Poli-Sci department at UA know that I have never been afraid to be vocal, as one professor once remarked, I can be "a royal pain in the @ss". ;D
Old 03-14-05, 07:23 PM   #7
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

WTL, Thanks but I don't know if I deserve any credit . I can't find anything on the reel Its not even listed in the parts list of the site, but maybe the site hasn't been updated in a while. http://www.silstar.com/ Â*P N J
Old 03-14-05, 09:29 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I bought it at Dick's with a sticker saying as advertised? I went to the silstar sight also and couldn't find it. It is almost identical to the Matrix model, if that's any help. It does appear to be a very good reel for the money. I don't really care for the Abu that much but I won't let you buy it back. I'll give it away first ;D Plus the rod alone was worth the money, I'm in no way unhappy with it, I personally am finding I like the low profile models a lot more. Anyway perhaps we will go fishing some time, and you have an open invitation anytime you are in Indiana to go to the coal pit

Lizards
Old 03-15-05, 10:40 PM   #9
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King

Finally somebody else on the Pinnacle band wagon. ;D ;D Lizards I don't think you will be sorry you bought that reel. I have two Janis baitcasters. Not quite the reel the Carrera is but good for the money. I bought one at Gander Mt. and the other on E-bay for $40.00. After you use the reel and get a feel for it check out E-bay if your interested in another. There's a guy on there from S. Carolina that is selling Pinnacle reels all of the time. Most of them new in the box. The one I bought from him was slightly used but you couldn't tell except for a few tiny scratches.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 11:04 PM   #10
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Where were you guys last year when I was all alone in thinking the Pinnacle was a great buy for the money.I have the tetra HS reels.They are a good quality reel and worth every bit of the price I paid for them.P N J
Old 03-15-05, 11:06 PM   #11
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

What do ya mean where were we? Rebbasser and I have been giving pinnacle lots of credit for probably 2 years on here.
Old 03-15-05, 11:20 PM   #12
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

My mistake, I thought Rebbasser was a dyed in the wool Bass pro shop Extreme reel person ? Dang, I was too busy learning computer things from Rebbasser, I guess I really never took notice as to the tackle he used other than Watermelon /red flake was his favorite color, there was the purple worm with white tail which culprit was making again, but I guess I have got to pay attention while at class. ;D P N J
Old 03-15-05, 11:23 PM   #13
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Rebbs got the same model pinnacle as I do, the tara, which he uses for flipping. Yikes, that shows you how many times people have asked about what reels to use - I've memorized what other people like!
Old 03-22-05, 08:29 PM   #14
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, I went back to Dicks to clean out the yamamoto rack and their flyer had the Pinnacle Carrera listed for $79.99.They didn't have any so I bought another Quantum E650PT for $99.99.The thing is I think I would have been happier with the Pinnacle, I hate the cast control selector, it ain't no daiwa magnet system. P N J
Old 03-22-05, 08:58 PM   #15
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=pig_n_jig link=board=MessBoards;num=1110831451;start=0#13 date=03/22/05 at 18:29:35]Lizards, I went back to Dicks to clean out the yamamoto rack and their flyer had the Pinnacle Carrera listed for $79.99.They didn't have any so I bought another Quantum E650PT for $99.99.The thing is I think I would have been happier with the Pinnacle, I hate the cast control selector, it ain't no daiwa magnet system. P N J[/quote]

Well i still need to work on the settings. I had 2 backlashes this weekend, and both were on the Pinnacle. I thought I had it set the same as the Curado's but obviously not. I will say that on one of the backlashes, my PNJ kept going, but not the line > And this was using 30lb powerpro, and had just been tied on that morning ??? Oh well guess I don't know my own strength ;D

Lizards
Old 03-22-05, 11:34 PM   #16
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Lizards, as long as there braid, there will always be a market for new jigs. ;D Make sure you unbind the braid from the previous hookset also before your next pitch. The braid is so tough yet seems very weak for losing jigs on a cast. ;D P N J
Old 03-26-05, 09:55 PM   #17
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

dick's has reels made special for them to sell.they do it with their pflueger rods also.the model is usually very similar to a model that the manufacturer already sells.that's why it looks like the matrix.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-05, 10:11 PM   #18
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Dodgeguy, The matrix is a 10 bearing reel and the Carrera is a 7 bearing reel.I am thinking when you reach a certain point the rest are for just bragging rights, they don't change the reels function, Now they count the bearings in the handles as part of the reels bearings. P N J
Old 03-26-05, 10:35 PM   #19
Eddie
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eddie

it's probably a very good reel.i was going to get one but bought a trion instead.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.