Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-06, 12:15 AM   #1
BassinSoldier
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BassinSoldier
Default Rock Quarry has me stumped...

Hey guys. I got to fish this quarry lake for the first time today and had no luck. It's very deep, I'd guess around 25-30 feet deep and seems to be like a big hole with no vegetation or no real structure. I was wondering what you guys would try here in this situation. Water temp. is around hi 40's and clear. I tried a spro lipless crank, Rapala DT16, LC pointer, texas rigged tube w/ 1/4 oz weight. I wanted to try a carolina rig but didn't have time. Any help would be appreciated. I'm stumped on this one!!!
BassinSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 12:53 AM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Are you on foot or fishing by boat ?Either way carolina rigs can cover water, feel whats going on with botttom contours and catch fish. Try a french fry bait or tube bait or a grubtail on the carolina rig.The subtle, or smaller baits will work when most won't. Also feel for a sharp incline on the bottom,or anything that feels different than the surrounding area. Thats most likely where the fish will be holding.I hope this helps. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 01-17-06 at 12:59 AM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 12:55 AM   #3
BassinSoldier
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BassinSoldier

On foot, there's only bout 40 yards of fishable area, no way to get a boat down there...all cliffs and skinny trails
BassinSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 01:26 AM   #4
pig n jig

It sounds like a great place.Someone will have a better answer than I can give you.When I find a place like that, I don't really care if I catch fish or not, its just nice to getaway from it all of everyday life crap once in a while. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 06:11 PM   #5
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Make sure to use light line, I would recommend 6 lb. fluorocarbon. I have fished a rock quarry and they are difficult to fish. My success came from Zoom ultra vibe speed craws on a 1/8 oz. jighead (watermelon or green pumpkin) and I used a red shad culprit with 1/2 oz. tungsten sinker texas rigged to catch a 7 1/2 lber out of the quarry with 12 lb. line. Fish on points in the quarry if there is any or places the ledge sticks out.
Good Luck
Basspro wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 06:36 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the thing about rock quarries are the hole cut in the ground is never a perfect90 degree drop. look for areas were the rock sticks out in the water. a small 6" conner would do it. also these areas are filled by the ground water -very few- have in flow such as a spring. the fish almost always swim in a big circle. look toward the over flow if you can find it.. just about any bait would work..

zooker
Old 01-17-06, 06:56 PM   #7
JB

the ledges are key, I also look for any spring waters that are trickling into the waters.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 06:56 PM   #8
rrw4258

just a tip... there are usually tons of other big fish in a rock quarry such as, catfish, carp, and up here in my town we have a huge quarry, that has HUGE Smallmouth!! Like between 7 and 8 lbers! Used to be able to fish it until someone fell in! That sucks man!!!
Old 01-17-06, 08:59 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Look for any laydowns or brushpiles that you can get to. zooker, and JB also hit good places. Also I'm with PNJ with the water temps a c-rig would probably be good. I would suggest an alternative to the traditional plastics though. Use a floating crankbait with about a 4-5 foot leader on it. Use pauses and drags, just like you do any c-rig. One other thing, many times on rock quarries depending on th size on them, they have kinda a road going down, along the edges. Not always, but I've found some that do.

Lizards
Old 01-18-06, 12:21 AM   #10
Rebbasser

Good advice. A c-rig would work. I's also try a small jig-n-pig as close to the bank as possible, parallel it along the vertical slope. As Zooker says, they aren't a perfect 90 degree drop, so like JB says, ledges are the key.
Old 01-19-06, 01:07 PM   #11
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Have to agree with Reb, Zooker and JB. Look for holes in the walls or under overhangs. I fish an old quarry quite often, have had good luck with soft plastics, ( i use cream black worm) I also use a slugo weighted to fall. Light line I use power pro with flurocarbon leader. I have what used to be a road with very shallow water and weeds I use a frog in that area.
Try a crawfish, or some type of insect. Grub or hopper. If there is no road or river into the quarry the fish might feed on fall ins from the rim. Maybe a duck patteren or small bird. Look for a runoff. Someplace where when it rans the water comes off the mountain and runs into the quarry. Fish will be at that spot to pickup any food that is washed into the quarry. That is why I suggest lures that look like land base food, the bass are used to it and know it as food.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 01:45 PM   #12
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a place just like that here that I fish some. We sunk some brush piles in it to give it some cover. Anyhow... this time of the year when the water temps are in the 40's I've killed them on a deep diving, suspending Husky Jerk. I work it rather slow. I just pull it a couple feet and let it sit for 3-6 seconds. I'll mix it up depending on what they want. I've also caught them on a c-rigged Yamamoto Hula Grub. Watermelon/Red Flake. A small jig-n-pig works too but I've had the most success with the jerkbaitl.

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-06, 02:29 PM   #13
basser087
BassFishin.Com Member

I'd try to throw a jig and pig I really like the new Vertical Lures. Ever since I've seen these products I have been pushing them, they are so awesome! But try tieing a drop shot rig on top of the jig about 3 feet and you can fish for bottom hugging bass and some that may be suspending in the cold. What clarity is the water and I'll suggest a color
basser087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-06, 12:29 PM   #14
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

To add to Huck's post (#11), throw terrestrial lures like aquatic birds, frogs, rats, and insects onto the shore where it appears they use as roads to the water and slide them in. I don't know that your quarry has such noticable places, but it's worked wonders for me in the past.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.