Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-07, 11:01 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Spinnerbait Storage

I just got a new tackle bag and it has a section that seems okay for spinnerbaits, but I don't want to take any chances. The hooks seem like they could poke through the bag. I read an old thread titles "Spinnerbait Storage". I was wondering if anything new has been created? How would you suggest I store my spinnerbaits. I don't really want a binder.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-07, 11:35 PM   #2
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I keep them in a tackle binder, they dont poke through the bag at all. So if the tackle bag you have has an area for the spinnerbaits, I'd use it. The hooks wont poke through the bag unlss you manually do it. They lay flat, unlike trebles, so you dont have to worry about it.
Old 08-03-07, 12:16 AM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Joolz, you have a couple of options: The first is a binder, which I use. The second is a spinnerbait box. There are a couple different designs. One looks like a 4x6 card file that has a couple of racks to hold the baits. The one that would work best for you IMO is a Falcon spinnerbait box. Looks like a Plano 3700 but has individual holders for the baits. It holds around 40 I think.
Old 08-03-07, 10:27 AM   #4
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

The Falcom Spinnerbait Box is number 1!! But its like 10$...
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 10:51 AM   #5
links_man2

Have the Falcon spinner bait box, but recently switched them to the CD binders. Falcon box had them too bunched up and they sometimes came loose and tangled.

CD case (I have 2) fits easily in the end pockets of my tackle duffle and makes it easier to see the bait if you get a binder with clear pockets.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 03:07 PM   #6
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy View Post
The Falcom Spinnerbait Box is number 1!! But its like 10$...
i agree this is the best storage i have found for blades.. no matter how big they are they all will fit in it..

i average 50+ baits in my falcon box.. the 4 latches are nice ..

zooker
Old 08-03-07, 04:14 PM   #7
jooleyen

Yeah. The Falcon boxes are by far my favorite. They're $10 a pop though. I guess that's worth it if you're going to take care of your gear though.
Old 08-03-07, 06:40 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

Think about it... cost/benefit analysis (My economics instructor would be so proud). If you spend $10, and over the course of the box's life it saves you from ruining 2 spinnerbaits, it paid for itself.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-07, 09:11 PM   #9
bassfisher02

Considering it has actually saved 2 spinnerbaits... Also depending on how much you spend on a spinnerbait. You may need it to save you 5 spinnerbaits, and again consider whether or not 5 spinnerbaits will mess up if you didnt have the box. But technical mumbo jumbo aside you are right. I still think the Binders are the best way to go. I store all my tackle in them now. Divided up between what I would take on a shore trip, what I would take in the boat, and what I would take for saltwater fishing. Works great for me.
Old 08-04-07, 01:38 AM   #10
FlyRod

I DO like the special spinnerbait boxes but I want everything in one bag, such as my "800 pound gorilla", a Cabela's Super Magnum Bag. So, I use a Plano 3700 for my spinner baits, chatterers, and all but those long-wire Bill Dance Booyah Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbaits. This sounds impractical to some but there is a secret to it; here 'tis:
I bend the upper arm of the spinnerbait down until I can insert the point of the hook through the little hole in the rear blade or through the split ring that goes through said hole. I engage the barb and "Voila" the spinnerbait is more compact and less likely to hook other objects (including me!) This approach allows one to stow the baits in the relatively narrow compartments and not be pinched and bent when one closes the lid.
When I'm ready to fish I press down on the arm, disengage the hook from the blade or ring, make a quick check for arm alignment, and off I go.
Like my use of hook bonnets on treble hooks, this may seem too time-consuming...but it ain't, especially in light of the hassles it prevents.
Even in the "safe" position, the point will engage the rod's hook keeper. Just remember to "arm" the lure when ready to fish. Yes, I HAVE made a few casts with the arm locked down.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-07, 10:32 AM   #11
MississippiBoy

Hmmmm... Methinks I like that idea, FR.

MSBoy
Sitting at the feet of the great sage FlyRod
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-07, 11:10 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You guys got any ideas on storing Buzzbaits as well. I have a Plano 7771 Tackle box and the spinnerbait box is great but the bussbaits take up way too much room and some don't fit (double buzzbaits or anything with a big quad blade.) I'd like not to have to carry another tackle box or anything though.
Old 08-04-07, 12:29 PM   #13
bassfisher02

I've always done that with my spinnerbaits, Cheeseman. It really does make them more compact and easier to fumble through without getting hooked. Good to see I'm not the only one who does it.
Old 08-04-07, 01:33 PM   #14
jooleyen

Nice Flyrod. I do that on accident sometimes, but never thought of using it for storage. Thanks.
Old 08-04-07, 06:16 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
I DO like the special spinnerbait boxes but I want everything in one bag, such as my "800 pound gorilla", a Cabela's Super Magnum Bag. So, I use a Plano 3700 for my spinner baits, chatterers, and all but those long-wire Bill Dance Booyah Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbaits. This sounds impractical to some but there is a secret to it; here 'tis:
I bend the upper arm of the spinnerbait down until I can insert the point of the hook through the little hole in the rear blade or through the split ring that goes through said hole. I engage the barb and "Voila" the spinnerbait is more compact and less likely to hook other objects (including me!) This approach allows one to stow the baits in the relatively narrow compartments and not be pinched and bent when one closes the lid.
When I'm ready to fish I press down on the arm, disengage the hook from the blade or ring, make a quick check for arm alignment, and off I go.
Like my use of hook bonnets on treble hooks, this may seem too time-consuming...but it ain't, especially in light of the hassles it prevents.
Even in the "safe" position, the point will engage the rod's hook keeper. Just remember to "arm" the lure when ready to fish. Yes, I HAVE made a few casts with the arm locked down.

FR
So have I. This morning flyrod got a good hit on a Midnight Special but it busted off, so when he re-rigged he tossed me one and I tied it on. 4-5 casts and I couldn't feel the blade turning. I said that to FR and he busted out laughing, realizing it was not in, as he puts it, "combat mode".
Old 08-04-07, 06:35 PM   #16
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
"combat mode".
By which, of course, I meant that the arm was still "pinned" to the hook.
Still amazed that a bass actually broke me off on #30 Spectrex. Still, the lline has seen a lot of use.

FR
Old 08-04-07, 08:33 PM   #17
BPACA

zip lock bags work good...just throw them in one.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 12:03 AM   #18
hackattack

old reel box...
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 10:06 AM   #19
rrw4258

i do the EXACT same thing as flyrod does with my spinnerbaits... sometimes i think i have too many but i just keep buying them one after the next...

Ryan
Old 08-06-07, 02:05 AM   #20
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw4258 View Post
sometimes i think i have too many but i just keep buying them one after the next...

Ryan
Well, I'm not the only one.

FR

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.