Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-06-08, 10:08 AM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Looking for boat

Ok, well I went boathunting to no avail last year, but I am back on the hunt. I'm looking to get a jon boat or something of that type, preferably less than 450 dollars or so. Does anyone around NJ/PA have one for sale b any chance? Or know of where I could get one? Thanks
Old 04-06-08, 10:38 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/632125285.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/630529935.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/632160595.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/631808375.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/631680892.html See this one for sure

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/631514437.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/631557095.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/boa/631218500.html

You will find what you need on craigslist if you look every day.
Old 04-06-08, 02:27 PM   #3
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

That one in May's Landing looks sweet, but heavy. How will you be transporting it, Cranky?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-08, 05:06 PM   #4
crankybait

Yeah, I'm digging that one. But transportation will be a problem. Not to mention getting a motor for it. How much does the typical trolling motor cost? And I will probably need a trailer too. Maybe the trailer on craigslist will do
Old 04-06-08, 05:23 PM   #5
Buzz Wing

Depending on what type of trolling motor you get, (bow-mount or transom-mount), you can spend anywhere from $100 on a good, used, 30# transom-mount, to an $1,100, top-of-the-line, wireless, 101# bow-mount.

From the looks of that boat, you could mount either. Here a few things to keep in mind:

1) A bow-mount will cost more but you will have better control....
2) A bow-mount will generally be heavier, and require mounting hardware. Possibly up to $20 in hardware....
3) A deep-cycle battery will be needed to power both. Your looking at about an extra $70 to $150, depending....
4) The greater amount of thrust, the higher the required voltage, in turn resulting in more batteries needed for optimum power....

Just a few things to keep in mind, Cranky. If you need any pics of my trolling motor, shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up. I sure hope you can find a boat. You always seem to put a lot of hardwork in and you deserve to have a good reward for it!

-Buzz
Old 04-06-08, 07:14 PM   #6
PowerBass

Cranky,
a 12 ft Jon boat would suit you fine for the lakes you will be on. Tracker Topper 1032 or 1232 I beleive is the model number should run around 400 new. Check NB Marine in Bordentown on 130, Its where I got my boat. 2 deep cycle batts will cost around 100-120$ for group 24 size, and a small 30lb transom mount shoudl run 130$ at walmart. I wouldnt put a bow mount on a smaller rig like that, as standing up will be an issue with the narrowness of the boat. You could hook the 2 deep cycle batts in parallel, using 2 batts for 12volts of power. You will need 2 jumper wires, I use 4AWG. Run one pos to pos, neg to neg, then on one batt put your pos and neg for the tm on. double the run time, and with a 30lb transom you could see a long time with that!!! If your really into maxin the TM size a 55lb 12volt should be more than adequate. Good luck in the boat search dude.

-Nick
Old 04-06-08, 07:35 PM   #7
crankybait

Thanks guys, lots of help on a feild I know absolutely nothing about. I really shoulda paid attention to all of the threads dealing with boats... that's going to be haunting me now. Anyhow, I'm planning on splitting the costs with my dad, And I have 200 bucks, so he will match that or maybe 300, who knows. 500 would be the top I could reach. So, I will probably go with a transom mount. Plus I will be needing a trailer. Budgets are quite obnoxious. So right now, I'm thinking my best option is to go for a used boat, new transom mount and batteries, and then get me a trailer. Another thing I have to worry about. What kind of papers and licenses will I be needing? Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-06-08, 07:37 PM   #8
crankybait

http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/632125285.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/630529935.html

out of these two, which would you guys pick? The 10 footer looks wider and has a seat, the 12 footer seems like it would be more aerodynamic and easier to maneuver.
Old 04-06-08, 07:50 PM   #9
PowerBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
Thanks guys, lots of help on a feild I know absolutely nothing about. I really shoulda paid attention to all of the threads dealing with boats... that's going to be haunting me now. Anyhow, I'm planning on splitting the costs with my dad, And I have 200 bucks, so he will match that or maybe 300, who knows. 500 would be the top I could reach. So, I will probably go with a transom mount. Plus I will be needing a trailer. Budgets are quite obnoxious. So right now, I'm thinking my best option is to go for a used boat, new transom mount and batteries, and then get me a trailer. Another thing I have to worry about. What kind of papers and licenses will I be needing? Thanks again for the help.

Cranky,
you will need a Boater Saftey Certificate, Boat Registration, and Trailer Registration. you also need to make sure your vehicle can tow the boat,a jon is light, you may even want to consider just car topping it.
Old 04-06-08, 07:59 PM   #10
Buzz Wing

I would definitely go with the 12' V-Hull, Cranky. Although it may be heavier, it will give you more room, be stabler, and most of all, be the best bang for your buck. The Jon looked like it had seen better days.

-Buzz
Old 04-06-08, 09:16 PM   #11
WTL

I would recomend the starcraft V hull. I have a starcraft thats 2 foot longer myself and I am satisfied with how it is constructed. It might not nessesarily be more stable than the flat bottom, but should you get an outboard it should be a little quicker and a little better in a chop. Not to mention those 2 feet will make a difference should you want to bring company along.
Old 04-06-08, 10:08 PM   #12
crankybait

Well, it seems my dad is digging the starcraft. What I like about that one is the chance to actually do a bit of work on it, make it all nice and stuff... I do like a bit of handiwork, personalization and the such. Probably a little airbrushing on the sides.
Do you think I would be able to put seats on that instead of those little peices of wood?
Also, does all that registration and licensing cost anything? Would I be able to cartop that? I really don't know how much it weighs, but id say like 200 or so?
Old 04-06-08, 11:25 PM   #13
WTL

If you want it, you prolly need to get on it before someone else buys it.

Seats would be easy. See the thread I have on my boat. Its pretty much the same boat, only 2 foot longer.
Old 04-07-08, 04:04 PM   #14
crankybait

Just emailed the guy. I'm pretty excited, I can see this boat in my future... Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-07-08, 04:27 PM   #15
Buzz Wing

Let us know man! Your work always looks good!

-Buzz
Old 04-08-08, 05:41 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

Hey Cranky
Little fella come on down to Arkieslaw and hell I'll give ya a 14ftr. There a dime a dozen down here. Check your pm's when you get the chance.
Old 04-08-08, 06:34 AM   #17
crankybait

Haha if only I lived down there. Arkansas is quite a distance. But anyhow, I'll let you know if I ever come around... You can teach me about boats and stuff
and pm reply has been sent

Does anybody know how craigslist really works? because that starcraft guy didn't leave any contact info so i just clicked sale-632125285@craigslist.org
and hoped it would contact him.
Old 04-08-08, 08:10 AM   #18
JB

cranky,
i'd get a local auto dealer magazine or any local publication of recreational vehicles/ boats / etc for sale. A lot of speedway gas stations or other stores have them..
You can find more boats there 4 sale..
like laser said, 12-14 ft boats are a dime a dozen around here too,, ya just have to look.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 10:24 AM   #19
WTL

Crank, that link should open an email browser...you fill out the fields and email him. Its what people who don't want to leave their actual email address leave.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/634542189.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/633999031.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/634129815.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/633803612.html Look at this quick...email them if you like it as soon as you see it

Last edited by WTL; 04-08-08 at 10:30 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 04:41 PM   #20
crankybait

OK, so the starcraft guy emailed back, and it is still for sale. Best part is it is the marina down the road from the one i go blue snapper fishing at. might check it out on saturday, and I'll probably be looking through more craigslist and find a magazine till then.
Btw, what was the last link? it doesn't work now.
Old 04-08-08, 05:08 PM   #21
WTL

16 foot aluminum fishing boat/trailer/motor - $500 (annandale)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-633803612@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-07, 4:17PM EDT

Elgin 16 foot aluminum fishing boat with older trailer and older Johnson 9.9 hp motor. Last used 2 yrs ago.
Old 04-08-08, 06:09 PM   #22
crankybait

AAGH I would have jumped on that in a second! what a deal

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.