Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-26-09, 11:48 AM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Boaters listen up..and learn

both my self and 1fastlaser know ra -red allison-and have seen the er pic's..NOT pretty..but here is his story -he lived to tell about it- i removed some of it..

They say the Good Lord favors a married man, I guess that's the ONLY reason he was with me yesterday!Just hope it makes some at least THINK about what can happen in a flash.

I was in Roy's (Baitcaster) boat. (XB2003/260) I had made one pass up river and then came back down in front of the waterfall. It was to rough to be going that fast, I never looked at the GPS but I remember being at 7000 or a click over when I got up on some waves, the boat went right and I don't remember anything after that for a few moments. I guess I "came to" while in the boat on the way back too the ramp. Gotta say THANKS to everyone there because they were there to help pretty quick once word got out what happend. My bro Andy was there for me as usual. He said I was talking to him while still in the water but I don't remember it. At 68 degrees I'm sure I was shocked and numbed by the water.

I DID have sense enough to put my vest on and killswitch attached!!! If I hadn't have had it on they would've been looking for me via a side finder Humminbird or something.

I remember being in the boat again with Padura driving me back too the ramp. Thanks again bro! Someone gave me a towel and I just put it over my head. I didn't realize my left ear was held on barely by a few pieces. Everyone came to my aid, I think Andy said he drove my boat back too the ramp. Put it on the trailer, battoned it all down and then drove me the 1hr 30min to the hospital in my hometown. (Wanted to be there instead of the rural hospital's nearer the lake)

My wife met us at the ER and then nearly threw up when I removed the towel. I was taken back too the trauma unit about 6:30pm and then FINALLY got into a room on the Neuro floor abotu 2am this morning. I have 12 staples in my head and 8 stitches holding my left ear on. The doctor who stitched me up learned his craft while a military surgeon in Iraq, he had alot of experience with impact trauma and did a GREAT job on me.

I was diagnosed with a concussion and am ordered to basically stay off my feet for the next week. Hope to have the staples and stitches removed in a week or so. EVERY joint, muscle, tendon is sore. I think the only thing not sore on my body is my toenails. Roy called me this morning and told me the passenger bucket was broke up and the mounting hardware was bent and busted up, his GPS was gone and the covers on the speakers under the nose were missing and threw screws in the jackplate cover had been ripped out and were gone. It musta been a hell of a stop. Probably glad I DON'T remember it.

I couldn't help but notice today on the way home from the hospital how particularly BEAUTIFUL everything is. Don't take anything for granted, you realize how quickly it can all be taken away from you in an instant. No more tweaked pads and jacked engine heights for this cowboy! I'm a deckboat and XB21 easy livin kinda guy from now on I reckon.

RA

this is a risk that every one of us boaters face.. even though most of us are not running in the 100 mph area like red was..hitting the water at any speed above plane speed-normally 20 mph- is like fallin out of a car and hitting concrete.. coming out of a boat at chin walk speed -65ish mph- you will start to rag doll. hitting the water at 75 mph area is called liquid clothes remover for a reason.to even be able to walk away from a high speed wreck like red did is just plain dumb luck. since most that have been ejected at this speed don't...

that being said the moral of the story is life vest and kill switchs save lives..i know i HATE using both but do it be cause of stuff like this..

i had been trying to get red to meet up with us at the ky lake shin dig..

zooker
Old 04-26-09, 01:25 PM   #2
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I hope we alot of these guys on here read this. I posted one yesterday about the elite series guy that got ejected from his boat, so it can happen to any one.
Old 04-26-09, 01:52 PM   #3
zooker

ra has been racin boats for the better part of 30 years so he knews the risk better than most...

zooker
Old 04-26-09, 04:37 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Wow...glad he made it out alright. I know that feeling he describes, about everything looking more beautiful after an accident that should have killed you. Let's hope it never goes away for him.

It makes me feel better in a sense to know I'm not just being afraid for no reason. Man...I only have to get my Avalanche up to 40, and if there's any chop at all on the water, I'm a nervous wreck. I guess you have to be in a bad wreck, be it car or boat, in your life to understand.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-09, 06:15 PM   #5
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I guess you have to be in a bad wreck, be it car or boat, in your life to understand.
true nuff ..i've been there i KNOW...

zooker
Old 04-26-09, 08:04 PM   #6
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Pushin the limit can bite ya in the *** . It was a rude awakening reading his post and seeing the picks. He is a very safety minded boater Thank GOD .I hope I think about this EVERY time I think about not putting on my PFD and hooking up my kill switch cause I am not going very far or am not gonna go that fast... Ya USE EM. no matter what. My prayers are with him for a speedy recovery.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-09, 08:27 PM   #7
bassackwards

think i just might fix my kill switch now good post kinda made me think
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-09, 08:50 PM   #8
zooker

sorry boater i forgot you are on that site also..

the funny thing was he was at the fast bass rally...not one thing has been said on that site about it...i checked

zooker
Old 04-26-09, 09:10 PM   #9
boater

me too
I was just about to say the same
A boat owners have it posted
BBC does too
Old 04-26-09, 10:10 PM   #10
zooker

you would think the people responsable for throwin that event would talk about it...since they WERE eye witnesses...

the term "thru bolts seared off the plate" was enough for me to want to see pic's...

zooker
Old 04-26-09, 10:15 PM   #11
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

wow..

now i need to get a kill switch for my boat..

Old 04-26-09, 10:45 PM   #12
bamabassman

zooker calle dme today and told me the story. gang....AIN'T none of us bullet proof or water proof. don't take chances out there. yes my rig can go around 70mph with only me and my gear, and sometimes i go that fast. BUT that is IT. i don't go fast as i can and i ain't gonna try to get my rig to go faster. i wear my life jacket, and the kill switch is attached. i drive like an old lady most of the time. gas costs money, and i ain't won the lottery. so i conserve most of the time. when lisa and i went to mississippiboys to visit. i don't think i went above idle the entire day,lol. drained the batteries though.

just be carefull out ther gang. we don't want to send flowers to ANYONE'S funeral.
Old 04-27-09, 05:06 PM   #13
bassackwards

hey zooker just wanted to let you know i did wear my pfd today for the first time thanks for the post
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 06:06 PM   #14
zooker

i thought long and hard about addin ra's picture on this post... so this is a WARNING GRAPHIC pic...you have been warned...

that gents is what happens to you when you hit something with your head at nearly 100 mph..

what is your guess boater windsheild ? or graph??

spoke with ra him self this evening..he may just show up at big bear friday night..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 04-27-09 at 09:00 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 10:44 PM   #15
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Many...too many...WAYYYYYY too many bassers are obsessed with speed and all too often tragedies or near-tragedies occur, involving "Expert" drivers so well as novices.
I've noted from reading the boat brand boards over at BBC that some are far more interested in speed than fishing, especially the Allison, Stroker, Blazer, etc, mob. They seem utterly obsessed and I doubt more than 10% of them are anywhere near "Expert" in their pursuit.
I can't understand why anyone who considers themselves to be aserious basser would choose an Allison over other brands, especially given their lack of fishability when compared to say, BassCat, Ranger, Nitro, ChampioN, etc.
'sides, with those "hips" on the hull the Allison looks like a 50s-60s design.
YouTube is rife with clips of idiots making runs at speeds in excess of 100MPH...makes me angry and sad at the same time.
Worse yet, the example they set only perpetuates the quest for more Darwin Awards...posthumous, in all too many cases.
Here's one in the making...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpxhb...eature=related
The fellow who chewed his A55 in the Comment column had a point re the kid's calling his parents "fools" but the little urd-tay went back and deleted his post calling them such, replacing it with a denial that he ever said it. He must have had a heart attack when the other guy suggested that someone post the item to his parents; "Fool" remark and all.
You may note that his denial comes BEFORE the suggestion by the other guy...clear evidence of tampering and I can attest as the alteration as I had read the original beforehand.
Basically, the nasty little afterbirth stated "my parents are fools and let me do whatever I want."

"Fatty McDork"...ROFLMAO!

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 10:56 PM   #16
bamabassman

and this is what we all are gonna face at one time or another gang. remember to watch out for them, cause it is clear they ain't watching out for us.
Old 04-29-09, 12:23 AM   #17
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

i was out on the water the other day with choppy water and bein more careless than not goin about 40 got into some big cross wakes and i really thought it was over with no joke, started jerkin side to side but finally got it back under control and started paying alot more attention to the other boats and their wakes, i came home that night and read this, really made me think man i need to be more careful, especially with others in the boat with me.. thanks for the wake up call zooker
Old 04-29-09, 09:00 AM   #18
nofearengineer

[quote:bamabassman]remember to watch out for them, cause it is clear they ain't watching out for us. [/quote]

You're not kidding. A couple of weeks ago, when I was out in my new boat for the first time, and still really getting the hang of the hotfoot, trimming and everything...I was just getting her up to 40. All of a sudden, a guy passes me about 40 feet on my right doing about 70, crosses my path and then turns to my left. The next 10 seconds of my ride were not the smoothest, to say the least. I think I might have left a few dental fillings, as well as part of my lunc,h as I bounced all over that guy's wake. I probably didn't come anywhere close to wrecking, but it sure felt like it to me.

He could have just as easily crossed over behind me, but then he would have had to miss out on his ego trip of letting me know he had the fastest suicide machine on the lake that day. Man...it's a good thing I don't take my firearms fishing with me. On the other hand, I guess you could still fire a Taurus 9mm sealed in a sandwich bag.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 10:30 AM   #19
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

Great, great post.....it's too bad it takes a family member, friend, or fellow fisherman to have an accident to make us all aware of just how important safety is...not only as a driver but aslo as a responsilble passenger.....thank god he's OK.....
Old 04-29-09, 06:28 PM   #20
zooker

there is several poeple that i refuse to go ahead of no matter what. tourny or no tourny...i rather be 5 mintues late to my spot...

i dam near run over one of them..it was VERY close. i was close enough when he passed to see he never looked back just cut the wheel hard over slap in front of me..my troller stopped 12" off his back deck..i cussed him like there was no tomarrow..i don't think he even knew how close it really was..

the other idiot owns a skeeter i don't know his name but seen the boat well enough..my self and a friend were racing short boats up the lake 10 feet apart.thru some patchy fog. this idiot with a skeeter went between us.. he claimed he did not see us..funny we both seen him coming for 200 yards..

i own a short boat that tops out at 40+ which is a slow boat..i have had several others barrle by 30 to 40 feet off me with no problem.. i seen them comming..

zooker
Old 04-30-09, 11:56 AM   #21
pacordon
BassFishin.Com Member

Default new to bash fishing

Just read about the accident. being new to this sport, this was a timely post. got to check to see if release works. get well friend and God Bless.
pacordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-09, 12:31 PM   #22
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

great post, I fished a tourny last week and man there was debris all over the place..logs and trees were floating everywhere...I never got the boat over 50 and kept a keen eye on what was in front of me...I had an accident 3 years ago and I've since been extremely cautious...I just don't understand some of these guys

Not to take away from Zook's story, but 3 years ago I was fishing in the Penobscot River, one of the largest in Maine. I had a great spot I had found about a week prior and drew boat#12, I'll never forget because I passed all 11 in front of me, I flew up through the river about 5 miles to my spot and fished in this area most of the day...I was on my way back with 5 mins left and was on the same path back to the weigh-in..when "SLAM" I had nailed a rock ...I wasn't full steam, but was around 40mph..the front end of my rig was straight up and my trolling motor came flying off the bow bolts and all, I was stuck in the pilots seat because of gravity and the pressure of my own weight..I really thought (this is it..I'm dead!) somewhere in my struggle to get out of the way of the trolling motor almost smokin' me in the head I nailed the hot foot throttle with my foot and man I'm glad I did..the boat instantly threw the front deck back down to earth and there I sat...I ended up retrieving my trolling motor by finding the wire that went to my sonar floating in the water...the engine still RAN...I didn't even trim it up 'cause I knew it was hurtin..I just had to limp it in to the weigh in..when I got in, the director was waiting for me, he could tell by the look on my face and the trolling motor sitting next to me that it wasn't good. I ended up weighing in, everyone agreed to allow me to weigh as I was beyond the 5 mins disqualification rule, but they all knew what had happened. I finished 2nd, won a little money to help replace my lower unit. I ended up with 2 large cracks on both side of the housing where the prop is located, large enough to stick your finger in, never took a photo, but amazingley the prop stayed in place to get it into the landing.
Old 04-30-09, 09:37 PM   #23
boater

Well Lancer I am sorry to completly disagree with you.I would have no ploblem leting you know when I go out boating so you can m ake sure you are nowhere near.I will tell you that VERY FEW guys that,as I have a need for speed.get into a hih preformance boat with out Studying then for a long time. We are aware of the speed and danger of said boat before we purchase.and do NOT take it lightly We practice driveing these boats for a long time a little at a time. I have owned mine for 2 ears and have not driven it t it potential, and will not for quite somwe time.
We are not justcaeless kids that think these re TOYS.
Everyone has there hobbies,we like HIGH QUALITY FINELY TUNED machines.the boats you metioned above are not cookie cuter boats they are finely crafted.
People from PETA don't think you shouldhave the right to FISH .
I do respect your right to your opinion.but think you should not jump to the conclution that o one can drive a fast boat. We are like rce car driivers no one buys a Indy car and jumps out on a track . although accidents happen an tracks.
I personaly would rather drive my boat than fish .
I also own a 8 foot plastic boat for fishing.
My appology if this comes across snippy You did touch a nerve.
There are alot of Novice boaters in john boats out there that have no business beon the water but I as ll of you support them.
RA made a poor judgement call.The purpose of this thread was to make sure everyone know how fast good things can go bad and to be safe.
Old 04-30-09, 11:37 PM   #24
bamabassman

boater.....you are doing exactly what you should be doing my friend. and i am NOT one to deny you your right to do it. in my opion, you are a RESPONSEABLE boater. and at the same time, you know as well as i that there are those that are NOT. these are the ones i am targeting when i say i hate the "bad" boaters. i have witnessed a fella that is really good at handling his rig, yet is careless as to where he is going and does NOT look out for anyone else. i think YOU do. i see this same fella most everytime i am out on the water. when i se him coming, i just stop my rig. and hold on for dear life. even with my jacket on and the cord attached i am scared that he is gonna come too close one time. i even go away from him. i watch him cause he is CLEARLY not gonna watch me or anyone else for that matter. he is in his 60's or so he seems to look. and i have the feeling that he thinks he owns the whole lake. but he doesn't, and one day he will learn, hopefully not the hard way either. hopefully the law will see him. and that will slow him down, at least this is my hope. you just be careful out there, as i know you are. i support you in your hobby bud. heck i have watch "indy" type rigs race. it is cool. LOUD hahaha, but cool to watch. have fun pal.
Old 05-01-09, 02:07 PM   #25
66KingFisher

I'm glad this story has a happy ending.......As for the speed freaks.....Well, I'm one of them, only not across the water.....I've been involved in racing of one form or another most of my adult life....I've driven everything from motocross bikes to high performance sportbikes.....9 sec street cars, to World of Outlaw sprintcars and most everything in between, and I loved every adrenaline pumping, hair raising second of it......But, speed across water has always scared the crap outta me.....I can't explain why....I've been 200+ on land but 70mph on the water is spooky as heck when the waters anything but glass smooth.....When you've got a high performance boat trimmed out and screamin along at top speed, your on the "ragged edge" of control whether you want to admit it or not and its just waaaay too easy to hit a wave or someones wake wrong and loose it and it don't take but a nanosecond.

In a racecar you've got roll bars and safety harnesses....helmets and fire suits.....lots of protection....but in a fast boat you got what?....some flipflops,a PFD and a kill switch.....not much protection huh?

I personally think that all boaters should be licensed to drive a boat with over 200hp....that means completing some type of safety boating course or something equivilant.....but I also feel the same way about the new high speed crotch rocket motorcycles being sold to young(or old)clueless riders.

Ya wanna live on the ragged edge all the time....thats great,more power to ya....I'll be the first guy to say you have the right to do so.....BUT....do it correctly....stay away from the crowds and never ever risk the lives of innocent bystanders by showing off and driving stupid near them....Otherwise have fun and keep yer foot in it and be as safe as you can.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.