Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-09, 01:29 PM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Storing A Rod

I was looking through the videos on this site that I thought was amazing. (all the videos are amazing but im completly new to bass fishing, so everything is just new) The tip is to twist the line around your pole and hook it over a guide to keep the line tighter to the rod. I have never heard this tip even though I have salmon fished most of my life.

So This got me thinking if I'm missing out on some other really easy storage tips. for the home, the boat or the shore (how I'm stuck)

I also saw a guy that built a wooden triangle that held his rods and reels. (forget his name) but i thought thats a really good idea too.
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 03:14 PM   #2
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome, my fellow Washingtonian!!! It is so good to see folks from our neck of the woods here, even if you're on the other side of the state.

As for that tip, I have seen some people do that, but personally I do not like to anything touching my guides except the line, especially hooks. I realize that the inserts are durable, but I think the $3 investment for a Fuji hook keeper that can be added to any rod is a better investment.

How's your salmon fishing going? I have gone out a couple times targetting pinks with some fair success. Being that you're out there in Pullman, you probably aren't too far from Smallmouth bass.

Anyway, to your subject, rods that I keep in the garage are stored horizontally and out of the way of the Mrs.' sight and the sight of would be thieves.

These are just rubber coated hooks you can buy at any Home Depot or Lowes. The upper level has two hooks and the lower level uses a set of 3 to better keep longer rods completely horizontal. This is an older picture because I no longer keep reels on the rods or lures attached when they are hung for a long period of time, like during the winter. What I like is that they are out of the way and do not occupy valueable ground space in the garage.

As for the triangle thing, did you mean this?

I designed this to address a need. I thought that being shorebound angler was no excuse to deny myself the use of 3-4 rods when out fishing. Prop the rod quiver onto my bag and the other rods will never get scratched or dirty from the ground.

I know there are others here who also have nifty and cool ideas too.
Old 09-15-09, 07:32 PM   #3
MO3N

Thats the triangle thing I saw that looks really handy. Here on the east side I'm shore bound too.....for now.

I went salmon fishing before I left for college and me my dad and mom got alot of fish. Only kept a few though. My dads going out again this weekend with some firefighter budies.

What part of Washington are you from? I'm in Pullman for college but born and raised around Silverdale Bremerton area.
Old 09-15-09, 08:00 PM   #4
islandbass

I'm not too far away. I'm in the Fed Way Area. I've caught most of my pinks at Brown's Point this season.
Old 09-15-09, 08:43 PM   #5
MO3N

Nice. We either go around daybop kinda by my house. Or we have a cabin at Sekiu that we usually go.
Old 09-16-09, 07:39 AM   #6
Mac2

If you store them over winter in a cold place, be certain to not only loosen the drags on the reels, but also loosen the reel at the reel seat to prevent cracking the reel handle seat on the rod due to unequal expansion and contraction with the temperature changes.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 10:49 AM   #7
MO3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
If you store them over winter in a cold place, be certain to not only loosen the drags on the reels, but also loosen the reel at the reel seat to prevent cracking the reel handle seat on the rod due to unequal expansion and contraction with the temperature changes.
I have never even thought of that....But it sure makes since. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone else have good tips for storing rods and reels for short or long term?
Old 09-16-09, 08:49 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Velcro wire ties. Take about six rods and velcro them together. They are safer bundled up and less likely to break a tip..

WINTER STORAGE
Wrap the lines, remove the lures, loosen drag and seat.

And keep out of sunlight..

Capt Mike
Old 09-28-09, 06:24 PM   #9
MO3N

I know this is kind of an old thread but I had another question about rod storage. So i figured I would just use this thread instead of starting a new one.

I was wondering how everyone stores there rod when they are driving to the lake. I usually just set my rods in the bed of my truck but there cheap rods and reels so I don't care about them too much. So I was wondering if everyone uses rod sleeves or rod and reel bags or just set them in the bed of the truck too?
Old 09-28-09, 06:52 PM   #10
islandbass

I baby my one pieces and won't even let them bang around on each other. Another neat benefit of my rod quiver is that with the back seat down, I can bring 3 of my one pieces rigged and ready to fish AND they don't even come close to banging around on each other.

If not, that is what I have my two piece rods for.

If I have to lay them down and don't have my rod, I lay them flat and put something like a towel or shirt on top to eliminate unwanted undulating and vibrating of the rod.

I might be anal, but I don't like to let the rods bang around on each other.
Old 10-01-09, 01:13 PM   #11
MO3N

Thanks. I was just going to see if anyone uses those rod and reel bags. The only problem with those bags is you would need a ton of them to hold all the rods most people carry. I know that once I pick up my new set up ill baby the heck out of that thing so I would like to be sure i don't get any scratches that could easily be avoided.

Thanks for the reply islandbass
Old 10-01-09, 01:27 PM   #12
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I like the Neoprene reel covers and am looking into getting one for all my reels. My Abu Garcia Revo came with one, and it does a great job of protecting it while stored in the rod locker or bed of my truck.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpagePRA-PRRC.html

BB
Old 10-03-09, 01:06 PM   #13
MO3N

Those reel covers look good I'll be getting those for my set up once I pull the money together. do you do anything special for the rod itself or just be careful with it?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.