Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-09, 01:52 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Best Midrange Baitcaster

A long time ago field and stream ran 4 midrange baitcasters threw real world testing , and scored them. At that time Pflueger Trion won. I purchased one , and am still pretty happy with it. I am in the market to replace 2 to 3 of my older midrange reels for newer/better reels. I wonder what everyones thoughts are as to what is ( in their oppinion ) the best baitcaster for under $130.00 ??

Some Examples , Diawa Tierra , Abu Garcia Revo S , Shimano Citica , Pflueger Asaro , Quantum KVD , Or maybe even cheaper models than these ? Im talking general use , not technique specific here.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 01:58 PM   #2
islandbass

Don't fiddle diddle. Shimano Citica hands down, can't be beat for the price. I also have a trion. It will behave similarly to a trion BUT the Citica will:

1) feel indescribably slightly more refined (over the trion)
2) cast lighter weights better
3) be considerably lighter
4) sit lower and closer to the reel

Don't get me wrong, I love my trion and it has served me well.

Either that or the Revo. Can't comment on the other reels and probably won't even give them a look. It's just too difficult to go backward.
Old 10-12-09, 02:21 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

The 2 reels I know,is the the Trion and the Revo S.
I learned BC'S on a Trion,and I have nothing bad to say about them...They cast great and smooth and given the age of this perticular reel...I can say dependable.(Dads reel)
However,I LOVE my Revo S and would buy a small army of them if I could...Now Ive only had mine a few weeks,but compared,Revo wins as far as castability,comfort,and smoothness...Granted these are just my opinions,but after my dad tried mine,he ordered one two days later to replace his old Daiwa procaster...
I showed him how to ''shop'' on Ebay and he got it brand new for $90 plus shipping.
I will say that Quamtum KVD looks kinda bulky,but thats personal prefence......
Old 10-12-09, 03:05 PM   #4
Raul

The Tierra is a fine reel for the money but it´s a little bit too wide, got mal hands you´ll find it more diffocult to palm.

If I were on the hunt for a mid level reel right now I wouldn´t think it too much, Citica would be my choice.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 03:23 PM   #5
bigbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigbasser
Default reel

I've been a Shimano guy for years, but a friend showed me a new Quantum Catalyst in June and let me play with it. All I can say is WOW, not only is it SMOOOOTH but sits in your hand NICE and only 7.5 oz. It retails for $149.95, but worth it. I seen KVD was using one on TV saturday. Oh yea I bought 2 burners. Check them out. bigbasser
bigbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 02:25 PM   #6
RonB
BassFishin.Com Member

I have always owned Shimano's as well. This year I bought two pinnacle xlt visions 13 bb for 70 bucks at Wallyworld. I love them both and they weigh 8.1 oz. and sit very low. I also bought two pflueger Presidents at gander. They are pretty low 10 bb, weigh 9.1 oz. and retail for $149.99 at BPS...got mine on a two day clearance sale for ....$53.00 and some change a piece out the door. I also bought a Quantum code 8 bb flipping reel at Wallyworld for $99.00 and love it as well. You can find good ones if you look around enough and watch the sales without dropping a couple hundred per reel.
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 03:52 PM   #7
Jrob78

I've been very pleased with the Daiwa Exceler, it's in the $80 range, has a swept handle and comes in different gear ratios. I actually like it better than the Tierra and I do use both. The Daiwa Trillionaire is another good budget reel. Like everyone else has said though the Citica is hard to beat.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 07:37 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

At that price I'd take my Revo S over any other reel. I've had two and they are simply an amazing reel. Rock solid in every way with high performance. Cast like a dream and low weight make them a joy to fish with.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 10:17 PM   #9
BeaverIslander

I'm a big fan of the Citica as well. Shimano Citica and Curado, and Abu Revo STX are all great reels and very good values and I'd recommend them to anybody and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. You can find some sales now. The Curado and STX may fall close to your price range and they are quite a bit better reels than the ones you listed. I bought a pairs of STXs recently at a Gander Mt for $150.

I also have a new Daiwa Strikeforce 7:1 on my frog fishing setup. It costs $50 and I'm very impressed with it for the price. I didn't want to spend much on a reel that would just be picking up slack line mostly. In the $50 class I would go with a Strikeforce.

Last edited by BeaverIslander; 10-13-09 at 10:23 PM.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 09:21 AM   #10
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm partial to Diawa. Some good ones can be had for around $100 or less. Their lower end are not as well made of course.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 02:17 PM   #11
Racemaster33
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Shimano Citica

I have two Shimano Citica's and love them. Sure there are better reels out there if you want to spend twice the $$. But honestly I think you would have to spend twice as much to get a noticably better reel. Just my opinion.
Racemaster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 04:45 PM   #12
CMorg

I bought a Citica to try out. Got it off EBay , so its not here yet..
Old 10-15-09, 06:08 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
I'm partial to Diawa. Some good ones can be had for around $100 or less. Their lower end are not as well made of course.
I'm a Daiwa fan as well and I think their lower end reels are some of the best on the market.

BB
Old 10-15-09, 07:06 PM   #14
bassboogieman

For $130 (plus shipping) I've found NIB Pflueger Patriarch's (my preferred reel), one of the brands you mentioned. I offered NIB Pflueger Sumitt baitcast reels (on this board in the for sale forum) shipped TYD for $100 just last week.
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=21785
No one on this website took advantage of the offer, but they were available for a short time. Just one example of what can be found.

Search around and you can find deals - not every brand is discounted, but some good ones are. Premium equipment at mid-range prices - more bang for your buck than a hour with a Vegas hooker!

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-15-09 at 07:16 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 07:54 PM   #15
CMorg

I promise I looked at your post for the Summit , but I got the impression you had already ordered , and wouldnt have any available to sell. So , I bought the Citica. I may buy another reel in a few weeks , if you still would have some available. I will let you know.
Old 10-15-09, 08:10 PM   #16
bassboogieman

I did have to close it last Friday to get the reels I had on hold shipped. I had more available, but didn't pre-sell enough for me to get the entire lot I reserved. I took a portion of the reserved lot. I'm not in the business, just had an opportunity to get a better price on a fair sized lot, and the only affordable way for me to get them was to offer others a chance to get in on the deal. I wasn't selling them to make money, just to drop the overall price of a lot, that way I would get the reels I wanted (cheaper) and possibly help out a couple others in the process. That opportunity is over, and I don't know if I would attempt it again without more time. Sorry I couldn't get you in on the deal.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09, 10:31 PM   #17
muddy

Ahh The Flooger Trion: Used to be my old favorite Great reels

Then I went back Old School, forget them stinkin Japanese reels, SWEDEN Rocks

ABU Round Reels , My Favorite ( 60 bucs factory reconditioned and warranteed or 80 bucks new on ffo-tackle.com) 5600 WS ( whiffle spool version of the c4)

They cast like silk, and are work horses, I need to change the handles , I would like something a bit longer

Also Love the older 5000C's
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 11:10 AM   #18
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'm a Daiwa fan as well and I think their lower end reels are some of the best on the market.

BB
For the money I agree. I own a several Diawa reels and I can tell a difference in the feel & casting between the ones I paid less than $50 for and the ones I paid closer to $200 for. However the last Diawa I bought was around $60 and it is excellent. Some of my Diawa's are around 20 years old too.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 11:20 AM   #19
Bassboss

I'm pretty much in the same boat you're in Cmorg. But one thing I've found, is that you don't have to always pay MSRP prices. But for what you've listed there, go with the daiwa Tierra.

But here are a few sights that you can get 150 - 170 $ reels for 130 - 100 price range. Ohya.com, I'm getting a Quantum Catalyst from there when I have money for 120. And if you have big hands, than the Daiwa Advantage HSTA, at bait n hook for 130. If you go to Ohya and want a Catalyst (150 MSRP) Where it says login at the bottom left corner, put "customer" for user and "preferred"for the password. Find the reel, put it in your cart, check the price - it should be 120.

http://www.tackletour.net/TTForums/v...p?f=11&t=43436

If you get the Citica, look at that thread there first. ^^^^^

Last edited by Bassboss; 10-16-09 at 11:28 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 01:47 PM   #20
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

I have tried a lot of reels over the years and for the money I found that the Revo S is probably the best all round reel for under $130. It is smooth casting, best drag I have used in years, and a very durable reel. Purchased my first Revo S right after they came out and have not had a single problem with any of the 12 currently owned.
Old 10-16-09, 05:57 PM   #21
CMorg

I like to try differant reels out. I actually have a Revo STX and Premier , as well as a silver max. I got the Citica , and i am going to buy something else to try out as well.
Old 10-16-09, 06:19 PM   #22
nofearengineer

Your arsenal is almost identical to mine, Cmorg. Sometimes I wonder if I am missing out on other brands, but with only Gander Mountain (Dick's SG is a joke when it comes to reels...good rod selection though). in town, I don't get to try as much as the guys whoa re close to BPS, Cabela's, etc.

I've found this thread to be very interesting...when I drive to Dale Hollow, I will have to try to go through a town which has one of the superstores, and spend an hour or two inside.
Old 10-16-09, 08:08 PM   #23
TnTom

Maybe at Dale Hollow there could be a table set up by the water and bring our rods to demo. It could be a great chance to try them all. Ive never cast anything but Shimano Chronarch and there are too many to buy and try them all. Don't know if that would be practical? Maybe put out some hoops at different distances.
Old 10-16-09, 10:20 PM   #24
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
Maybe at Dale Hollow there could be a table set up by the water and bring our rods to demo. It could be a great chance to try them all. Ive never cast anything but Shimano Chronarch and there are too many to buy and try them all. Don't know if that would be practical? Maybe put out some hoops at different distances.
I don't know about a table, but I'd be happy to let someone try one of my combos out...not that I have any exotic stuff, but the guy at the local G Loomis store did tell me he was having trouble getting one of my reels in stock, so that is kind of a warm fuzzy for owning something special.
Old 10-17-09, 02:38 PM   #25
CMorg

I got my Citica today. I havent messed with it much , just taking it out of the box. I must say it is lite , and small. I like it , cant wait to try it out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.