Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-12-10, 06:24 PM   #1
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Hi-Vis Braid On Spinning Gear

I have read there are a lot people fishing spinning gear with braid and flouro leader. For when the water is stained to dirty, which braid hi-vis color would be the best for this application? I can't see the smoke or moss greens very well at times.

Would Power Pro Hi-Vis Yellow or Red be a good option? Or maybe the Suffix Performance Braid in Fluorescent Neon Fire?

They say red disappears quickly in the water column. Staying with those principles, orange would be next, and then yellow. Any thoughts on this?

I am really looking at the Suffix Performance Braid in the Fluorescent Neon Fire (its orange) for these applications. Is that crazy?

Tony
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 06:27 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Why are you looking for high visibility?
Old 03-12-10, 06:36 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Not crazy at all! I've been using 10lb Sufix performance braid on my dropshot rod w/ a 6-8lb fluoro leader. At times, the moss green can be hard to see. As for which color is the best, pick whichever you can see the best. I was thinking of getting some Sufix braid in yellow or the Neon Fire for my dropshot rod this year.

As for red braid (or red line in general), it is mostly a gimmick IMO. Red does not become invisible as you go farther down the water column. Red light is filtered out the farther down you go. For those who don't know, light reflection is how we see colors. You have a red shirt on, all the colors of light are absorbed, except red, which is bounced off and perceived by us as the color red. So with this in mind, as you go deeper in the water, where red light is filtered out, red objects don't become invisible. They become gray. Just like a red object would appear on a black and white TV.

Another thing is, red light isn't filtered out in a few feet of water, more like 15-25 as shown in the following diagram.

That said, I wouldn't specifically use red braid (or any red line) for the claim that is becomes invisible under water. However, if you can see the red braid easier than other colors (like moss green, yellow, neon fire, etc) then go for it, you should be adding a fluoro leader anyways, so the color of the braid is irrelevant (except for you seeing it easier).

BB
Old 03-12-10, 06:41 PM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've used red and yellow PowerPro for quite a while. The yellow seems to hold its color pretty well but the red fades fairly quickly. I think that it does help me and I always use a fluoro leader. I think this year I will try that Suffix orange and see how that goes.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 01:57 AM   #5
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Something else to look at is the UV response of your line. Since fish can see much deeper into the UV spectrum, even in stained/muddy water a bright beacon of line may push them away... I usually suggest sticking with the better known colors, clear and green.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 05:01 AM   #6
Garry2rs

Watch for sales...Power pro might be withdrawing their red line because some folks complained that the dye stained their boats, cloths etc.

Now that Shimano has purchased Power Pro we might see some new stuff. There is a new 16 strand hollow core version coming out in three colours right now.

Some saltwater tackle dealers in San Diego were receiving it last week. The hollow core is spliceable and available down to 40 pound test. The new line's name is Hollow Ace and it comes in white, marine blue and yellow.

In the past, I have used red PP and find it quite visible on clear water. On brown water I don't see it that well.

The easiest line to see, that I've used, is Fireline Tracer. The alternating sections are very easy to see in most light conditions and on any water.

Like other superlines the Tracer's colour does fade, but most people will get a season out of it. Only the working part fades and you can always cut back or reverse the line.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 09:56 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sufix also has a version of the tracer braid. It's got 5 different colors though. Dark blue, light blue, yellow, red and orange. That may be worth trying for visibility.

BB
Old 03-15-10, 01:35 PM   #8
CiK

Thanks everybody!

I have always liked Suffix for my flipping/pitching and frogging applications. I think I am going to try the Suffix orange.
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-10, 08:03 PM   #9
Backwater Charlie

I always use 10lb or 12lb Stren clear/blue florescent line on my baitcasters and 8lb Trilene XL clear/blue florescent line on my spinning reels. This is because I do a ton of line watching and a clear or green line is too invisible, which is a bad thing in my case.

Suffix makes some "smoke blue" braid, may want to check it out.
Old 03-20-10, 10:42 AM   #10
Jigger

I use Power Pro Hi Vis yellow on my spinnning reels. No leader. I color about 3 ft. more or less of the line from the lure upward with a green waterproof marker. Most of the water around here is stained though.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.