Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-10, 10:31 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Anyone ever use these?

ok, went to wally world (i know,i know) and got some U-HEADS FINESSE WORM hooks. 1/4 ounce. anyone here ever use em? i kinda like the looks of them and thinking of using them for shaky head fishing as well. so tel me what ya'll think. oh yeah.they are made by ARKIE.
Old 06-08-10, 10:51 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bama Frequenting good ole wally world like I have been know to do I do use them , and would not complain about em at all . The cheap side of me loves them for shakey head fishing just make sure to sharpen the hook tips after a few fish .

Jim
Old 06-08-10, 11:32 PM   #3
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
ok, went to wally world (i know,i know) and got some U-HEADS FINESSE WORM hooks. 1/4 ounce. anyone here ever use em? i kinda like the looks of them and thinking of using them for shaky head fishing as well. so tel me what ya'll think. oh yeah.they are made by ARKIE.

I love Wally World! What's wrong with going there? I buy a lot of terminal tackle there, and all my beetlespins because they are only $0.96 there. I have not tried those hooks, but if you got them already then might as well throw 'em out there and see what happens.
Old 06-09-10, 12:21 AM   #4
Rebbasser

Bama, try them out and let us know how they work.
Old 06-09-10, 05:50 AM   #5
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ive used em and cant get a bite on em but ill have to admit i didnt use them that much and i do like the way they look.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 08:22 AM   #6
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

I use those as my primary shakey set up. If you use some sort of floating worm, it only has to lift the hook, not rock the hook and weight both up. I think thats why the action of these is so good.
dizzy_ghs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 08:54 AM   #7
Bassboss

Looks really cool bama! Try 'em out, and report back!

Old 06-09-10, 01:22 PM   #8
cassidyta

I picked up a pack about a year ago. I have used them for pitching and have gotten a few fish on them. The hooks do not stay very sharp at all. Additionally, the bait twists on the pitch from time to time.
Old 06-09-10, 04:14 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Never used them before, but it looks like a good idea, if only you could use your own hooks.

BB
Old 06-09-10, 09:28 PM   #10
bamabassman

99% of the stuff i use is from wally world. but i WANT to also get things from some of the guys here. just ain't got the muhla to do so YET. i like the style of these and that is why i got em. i agree about the hooks. that is my main concern. just how long and how strong are they ya know? i am gonna try em out and let you guys know how i feel about em. i would LOVE to get some of ol smitty's tuves and try em out with these hooks. i think they would be killer. gonna save up some lunch money and order some pretty soon i hope.
Old 06-10-10, 12:11 PM   #11
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
They're an awesome shaky head jig design. However, the hooks are crap! Here's what I do...Cut the existing hook off the "U" with a good pair of dikes. Put a BPS #3 split ring on the "U". Now, attach whatever size Gamakatsu hook you want onto the split ring. Use a floating plastic, Texas rigged, and you now have a shakey head jig with even more action than the original design.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 01:27 PM   #12
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
They're an awesome shaky head jig design. However, the hooks are crap! Here's what I do...Cut the existing hook off the "U" with a good pair of dikes. Put a BPS #3 split ring on the "U". Now, attach whatever size Gamakatsu hook you want onto the split ring. Use a floating plastic, Texas rigged, and you now have a shakey head jig with even more action than the original design.
Fantastic......... why the heck didn't I think of that!! I have a bunch of them and didn't lik'em because the hook was crap so I set them aside.

Looks like they are gonna be put to use after all, thanks for sharing that idea Geezer1!!!!!
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 01:28 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
Hmm.. wanna try explaining it differently.. my small mind doesn't get it!
Old 06-10-10, 01:31 PM   #14
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Take a pair of dikes cut off the existing crappy hook, add a #3 split ring and hook of choice.
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 10:33 PM   #15
bamabassman

now this is a great idea. one other thing i think would be better for the set up is to have the little "ring" holding the hook in a rounder shape instead of a U shape. whadda ya'll think? see i think it would be easier for the "worm" to move more freely. yes i have been playing with one and moving the hook around some. i think it could get stuck on the bottom of the U and not have a good action.
maybe ol kory could have his guy do a few to see if it will work better. i would buy em kory.
Old 06-12-10, 09:09 AM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfisher View Post
Take a pair of dikes cut off the existing crappy hook, add a #3 split ring and hook of choice.
Oh, thanks, I get it!

Quote:
now this is a great idea. one other thing i think would be better for the set up is to have the little "ring" holding the hook in a rounder shape instead of a U shape. whadda ya'll think? see i think it would be easier for the "worm" to move more freely. yes i have been playing with one and moving the hook around some. i think it could get stuck on the bottom of the U and not have a good action.
maybe ol kory could have his guy do a few to see if it will work better. i would buy em kory.
Good idea bama!
Old 06-13-10, 04:33 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

I have never used them before. But I would use geezers idea of adding a split ring and a quality hook if it were me. There is no reason to use a junk hook, that is a recipe for disaster.

We don't have any shaky heads in the works yet, but I wouldn't rule it out down the road and if we do add them to our line up it will for sure be something unique........possibly like this, who knows.
Old 06-14-10, 12:22 PM   #18
Abbeysdad

Many folks dis wally world because 1) they sell mostly imported products and not as much American made and 2) Employee's don't receive a lot of benefits...however, they always seem to have plenty of people working there. Now a days, it's a global economy, so if made in the US results in a retail price that's out of line high, well, competition rules. And quite frankly, an aweful lot of stuff that says 'made in the USA' really isn't - it just may have some final assembly or packaging here when it was really made in asia/pacific.
The reality is Sam was right...buy in volume at negotiated prices and pass some of the savings on to the customer.
So, unless you have gobs of extry cash to burn, never feel bad about saving money at wally world.
Old 06-14-10, 06:30 PM   #19
bamabassman

i like wally world abbey.....i DON'T like the one nearest me though. when i lived on the bluff near scottsboro, the wal mart in scottsboro was totatly awesum. they had 2 1/2 isle dedicated to fishing stuff. now the one in leesburg barely has 2. and 1/4th the selection of baits as in scottsboro. yet weiss lake is 10 minutes form there. same time as in scottsboro. now weiss is known for crappies, guntersville is known for bass. i asked a game warden what the size limits was for weiss. he said "there is no size limit on weiss" for bass. i was shocked to say the least and asked why. he said the locals could care less as a WHOLE about bass. they wanted the lake to be mainly crappie. i couldn't believe it. so now i think i know why the wal mart is so low on fishing stuff in centre/ leesburg. but as you would notice form my arsenal and things you will see in my boat. 99% of everything i buy is from wal mart. price is the reason yes. i don't feel bad either. just that i wish they carried more of the nicer stuff too. or at least wish they could order it for me. the little shops around want 3 times what it should cost. now i now i could order online. but i got a wife that is gonna cut my $%^&* off if i do. she hates to order things on line. so off to wally world i go.
Old 06-18-10, 04:23 PM   #20
Mofish
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been using them for about 3 years now and they are friggin awesome...when they first came out the hook was too small on the 1/8 oz but they since have started making them with a larger hook and changed the eye that you tie to larger. I used to have to poke a hole through the paint to get my line through..what a pain..the hooks they use are good quality hooks..dont know what kind they are but they are very very sharp about as sharp as a Gamu..but I have not had ANY problems with them at all now that they made the changes that I mentioned.. That is a great idea that riverfisher has about the split ring and my own hook though...dang why didnt I think of that....lol but anyways I have caught some Hawgs on those hooks actually won a local tourney this spring using them my biggest was 8lb 4oz.

Last edited by Mofish; 06-18-10 at 04:37 PM.
Mofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 06:16 PM   #21
bamabassman

thank you mo. now tell me this.....have you ever put a true FLOATING worm on this hook? if so how did it do for you?
Old 06-18-10, 09:30 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
thank you mo. now tell me this.....have you ever put a true FLOATING worm on this hook? if so how did it do for you?
John I'd give Strike King Elaztech finesse worms a try. They float very well, and are one of my favorite shaky head baits. Just don't let them come in contact with normal worms, or they'll melt like worms used to in old plastic tackle boxes.

BB
Old 06-18-10, 10:12 PM   #23
bamabassman

well i got some floating worms ant. just wondering if anyone has tried them on this hook.
Old 06-19-10, 08:19 AM   #24
Mofish
BassFishin.Com Member

well to be honest bama, I have tried very few other worms other than my favorite Tiki Stick because I have caught so many Hawgs on it. I have so much confidence in it I think I can catch on in my kitchen sink...lol but you have opened my mind about the floating worms I think it will work great with the head staying on the bottom and the tail floating up..man what good action that will have.....dang I should have gone fishin this mornin. but I have to put my new Lowrance Elite-5 Sonar/GPS on today
Mofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 10:46 PM   #25
bamabassman

hahaha on the fioshing mo. thanks i too think the action would be awesum.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.