Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-11, 11:59 PM   #1
M_A_C_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Left/right handed baitcasters?

I'm thinking on getting a baitcaster, and I even though i am right handed I cast with my right hand so I think I would be best with a left hand retrieve. Just want to see some input from you guys on what you think on the subject?
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 12:34 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

MACK,

I have both left and right models. I think that a lot of us have right hand retrieves because that was all they had when we were learning.
If it were upto me, I would say go with the left hand retrieve. There is no reason in bass fishing that I can think of where you need to cast and then switch hands to reel.
Old 03-28-11, 01:14 AM   #3
MO3N

When I'm bass fishing I use left hand retrieve on every rod. It is easier to use my strong hand (right hand) to work the bait and my left to reel. plus when I'm casting I don't have to switch hands every single cast.

When I'm salmon fishing I use right hand retrieve......Don't know why guess its just what my dad always used so I use them too.

But I would say getting used to a left hand retrieve is the best way to go
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 01:36 AM   #4
boloson

i never understood why right handed people would be comfortable with right hand retrieves on baitcasters. most jdm baicasters only comes in right handed retrieves which i couldn't understand since most Asians are righties. with that being said i guess it all comes down to preference & what is most comfortable to you.

i just got into baicasters myself & have a left side retriever & feel very comfortable. never really tried a right side retriever but i can get used to it if they only had it in that style.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 06:55 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would have to admit if your right handed, then a left handed baitcaster would be best. That being said, I purchased a left handed reel to try since I'm right handed. After a year or so I sold it because I simply could not get used to reeling the reel left handed. Kinda like writing left handed. I can do it but it's very poorly done, haha. Anyways, give one a shot and try it. It's better if you have the coordination to do it.
Old 03-28-11, 07:12 AM   #6
Bender

I had all righties for a few years and have been making the switch to lefties over the past couple of years. It's a lot of work but I think it is worth it. I suggest you find some friends that have both that you can try to see which feels more natural. Or at least try them in the store. If they both feel the same then I would go left.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 08:47 AM   #7
shawn
BassFishin.Com Member

I've been thinking about making the switch to left hand retrieve. Lucky for me, my son is left handed so when I start him out on baitcasters, I can just let him have the two right hand retrieves I have now.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 09:16 AM   #8
HarveysMinnow

Whatever goes around comes around, or so it seems. This discussion has come to life at least twice since I've been a member, and that's still been less than a year.

I cast right handed and crank left handed with all my reels, but to paraphrase what Keith said, it has a lot to do with what you've become used to.

Old 03-28-11, 09:32 AM   #9
Lvitch

Dosent matter, what ever you like. There are more right hand retrieve reels made though. The only left I have is on my flippin stick so I don't have to change hands. There's no right or wrong to it though.
Old 03-28-11, 12:14 PM   #10
Jrob78

I found the switch to lefty hard to make. I also had 7 or 8 right handed reels and only one lefty. If you are new to bait casters, I would recommend buying a lefty and learning on it, it makes so much more sense than a right handed person using a right handed reel.
Old 03-28-11, 12:28 PM   #11
cassidyta

It is funny, I can pick up either baitcaster and not miss a beat. But on a spinning reel, I can not reel with my right hand to save me.
Old 03-28-11, 12:30 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you're right handed, definitely get a LH baitcaster. not as many good models come in LH, but I find it's definitely worth it.

I'm RH and have always fished LH spinning reels. When I made the switch to baitcasters, I just stuck with the LH. There are many benefits to casting and working the rod with your dominant hand.

BB
Old 03-28-11, 12:58 PM   #13
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i use a left spinning reel, but cant do it baitcasting. when i cast, i find it hard to get my hand up to where i usually palm it using a left hand. whereas with a right ,i cast and switch to my left hand into my palm smooth as silk. i dont see how anybody does it unless they hold the rod behind the reel all the time.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 01:17 PM   #14
bowhunter63
BassFishin.Com Member

Im righthanded but switched to left hand and wont go back.It was a little weird at first but i got used to it in a hurry.Try it i think you will like it.
Old 03-28-11, 03:37 PM   #15
M_A_C_K

Yeah it makes more sense to go left hand retrieve for a right handed person... I'm just starting to narrow down my choices of what i want so i thought i'd get your guys opinions... and it seems the jury is out on getting the lefty like i thought
Old 03-28-11, 10:26 PM   #16
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

I can cast with either hand, but I can't retrieve right handed. I tried for awhile and didn't work for me. So, I sold my righties. If you are knew to baitcasters, the learning curve shouldn't all that hard.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 11:36 PM   #17
Tavery5

I have tried but just can't get use to using a L/H casting reel, might not be the most efficient but it is def. the most comfortable for me.
Old 03-29-11, 07:41 AM   #18
bassboogieman

Quote:
I have tried but just can't get use to using a L/H casting reel, might not be the most efficient but it is def. the most comfortable for me.
DITTO!

Quote:
They come to snuff the Rooster...
The chicken choker is on the way?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-11, 05:06 PM   #19
bamabassman

i am left handed. always threw with the left and reeled with my right. never had a problem. my brother is right handed, throws with his right, retrieves with his right. looks awkward to me, but he has always done this and so it is naturel for him.
Old 03-29-11, 05:20 PM   #20
bassinbob

I bought a left hand reel to try last year. No argument from me but I'll stick with right hand reels. Seems my right thumb works better than my left one.
Old 03-29-11, 05:23 PM   #21
M_A_C_K

i was just watching a pro on youtube talking about how many times he has missed a strike for having to switch hands untill he bought a lefty. makes sense
Old 03-29-11, 05:30 PM   #22
Backwater Charlie

I'm right handed and use right-hand Baitcasters and left-hand Spinning reels. Just what I'm used to and I do fine.
Old 03-29-11, 07:46 PM   #23
Bassboss

Get the left hand reel man, definitely the better choice! Easier to cast, reel, and work a lure... not to mention set the hook.
Old 03-29-11, 11:38 PM   #24
BBD

This thread is crazy because I didn't realize how many others use left handed bait casters.

All my reels no matter spinning or bait casters are left hand retrieve. I'm right handed.
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 12:10 AM   #25
M_A_C_K

Yeah someone was telling me he gets alot of crap from fisherman for useing a left hand retrieve since he's right handed... it seems common, hmmm.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.