Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-11, 12:26 PM   #1
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Long Casting Reel

I would like to get some input about what you think is the longest casting reel. I finally settled on a deep cranking rod (7'11", MH, Mod, Micro guides) and really want to launch crankbaits. I'm looking for a medium speed reel, ~6:1 with around 25"/turn. I don't want something very big since my hands aren't very big.

So far I have been thinking of an Abu Record 50, Calcutta 200B or TE, or Daiwa Luna 103. Also maybe round isn't needed to get a super long cast, I don't know. I also will plan to upgrade the bearings if needed. I'd like to have something not too heavy, right or left hand is OK. At this point I'm open to about anything, so let me know what you have used and had the best success with. I have a wide variety of reels now, but wouldn't consider any of them super long casting.

Last edited by Bender; 04-17-11 at 12:37 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 02:18 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That's a tough question. The problem is that it's not actually the reel that limits you from a long cast, it's simple physics. The lure or rig has to be heavy enough to generate enough energy to fight gravity and keep pulling line off the spool. The rod has a lot to do with that also as the more energy the rod can load up with the more energy that will be transfered to the the forward momentum. The reaso you will see most anglers use bigger round reels for long distance stuff is simply to do with line capacity. The bigger spool helps some with a long cast in that the closer you get to the bottom of a spool, the tighter the line coils get and that increases friction. Idealy, the best setup for long distance would be a narrow , deep spool with a large diameter. The abus are fine for long distance, as long as you have the weight needed. The abu's have an oscilating line guide to help keep the line from running at an angle to get the the guide. That helps there, but it also uses spool energy to move the line guide, so that decreases cast distance. The calcuta may be a good choice choice because it has a narrow deep spool , but the outside diameter of the spool is only 3 mm bigger than most normal low pro reels. Again, it comes down to weight and energy, if you have the weight to make really long casts, then a wide spool oscilating line guide reel will work best, if you are talking about normal size crankbaits, any good reel will do, but a calcuta may have a slight advantage in spool diameter. The last thing is spool friction and braking. I think that a dual brake reel is best for long distance as you can use just 1 or 2 pins to keep backlash away at the start of the cast and then use a low setting on the mags to help at the end. Mag only reels would be the worst as you can't realy cast them very hard without a backlash at the start. Having the reel tuned and upgrading bearings will help a lot, regardless of which reel you go with.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 02:47 PM   #3
Bender

That makes sense. I really don't like magnetic brakes alone. Thanks for the explanation of the tall, narrow spool vs. the normal wide spool. I've never used one with a constantly engaged line guide and I always forget to make sure that it is centered when casting so that might be something to try.
Old 04-17-11, 03:05 PM   #4
bassboogieman

I prefer a wide spool low profile reel for this application. Currently using a Plueger Asaro wide spool, 6.4:1 with 24" ROR. I'm not a fan of the round reels, although I do have a couple I use for striper fishing due to the larger drag surfaces and larger line capacity (for heavier line than I use for bass), but for bass I much prefer the lighter weight low profile reels. The Asaro only has the 6-pin centrifical brakes, but I don't have issues with it lacking the magnetic brake, the thumb takes care of that for me.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 06:52 PM   #5
bassinbob

Try a Shimano Chronarch50mg. They are no longer made but you can find them used.
Old 04-17-11, 08:26 PM   #6
Jrob78

My longest casting reels are very much a product of the rods they're on. The rod you describe sounds perfect.

I do agree that on whatever reel you choose, a tune up, good bearings and a good oil will make all the difference in the world.
Old 04-17-11, 08:34 PM   #7
Bender

Bob, I have a Chronarch Mg50 on my 7' Medium cranking rod. While I really love that reel, I think I want something a little heavier duty for this job.

I guess in the end I was trying to figure out if rounds cast further than low-profiles. If I go low-profile I have one in mind already. If I go round I wasn't sure which one and I very rarely hear anybody talk about Records, Calcuttas, or Lunas.

I'm hoping to head South this week so maybe I'll stop at a BPS and try to get a feel for them. I don't know anywhere else that stocks most of the reels I'm looking for.
Old 04-17-11, 10:56 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

keep this in mind bender, the ROD also plays a very important part in your distance. now i have said before that the micro guided rods have helped ME in my distance. jsut a little more for you to chew on there pal.
Old 04-17-11, 11:45 PM   #9
bassboogieman

Micro guides............. for micro bass, 'Bama?
Old 04-18-11, 12:37 PM   #10
Raul

Casting distance has do with things you have control over:

1.- Rod
2.- Line
3.- Reel
4.- Casting technique
5.- Lure

Things you don´t have control over:

1.- Air temperature
2.- Air spped & direction
3.- Relative humidity
4.- Height above sea level
n´such

You may have the smoothest best casting reel in the planet, but if you don´t have the others working in unison with it ..... well you have a really nice reel but the setup cast like crap.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 03:42 PM   #11
cassidyta

Bender,

I own 2 calcutta 400B reels and wile I love these reels, their casting distance is not their strength. Don't get me wrong, they cast far, but they are also on 8' dobyns swimbait rods and they are usually throwing 4-6oz baits. I use them for line capacity since for 25lbs test.
The one downside to a calcutta, and possibly most round reels is that they can be a pain if you backlash. They have a bar across the top of the spool, so you are limited in getting your fingers to the culprit.
Old 04-18-11, 05:21 PM   #12
bamabassman

hahahaha, VERY FUNNY BRUCE..........very funny. lol.
Old 04-18-11, 06:10 PM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hahahaha, VERY FUNNY BRUCE..........very funny. lol.
Remember that at Wilson Bama, hahaha
Old 04-18-11, 08:08 PM   #14
bamabassman

i will keith..trust me i will buddy. lol.
Old 04-19-11, 01:40 AM   #15
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

get you a bass pro XCRANK reel. It has a wide DEEP spool an holds a ton of line. Ive got one on a 7' medium moderate crankin rod with micros that i built an it is AWESOME. I fell in love with the reel the first day i used it. Good luck finding one tho, they seem to be rare, o ya and they are really low profile and small and palm really well
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 07:47 AM   #16
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

As y'all know I am a die-hard Shimano fan. But I traded the Calcutta off a while back to Bob. I have small hands too. Not like the Whopper commercials weird small, but small enough to start getting sore and cramping from using the Calcutta all day. My personal favorite is the Curado E5. I really haven't broke the Calais in too much yet though. It will probably go on my deep diver though.
Old 04-19-11, 06:14 PM   #17
agambill
BassFishin.Com Member

I love my 200 calcutta. Holds a ton of line and more drag than youll ever need. Plus it looks classy. I mainly use mune in the salt. Never fails to have a good curado around. I stay away from the really expensive stuff.
agambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 05:15 PM   #18
BassMan83
BassFishin.Com Member

The longest casting reel I have is a Team Daiwa Tierra. It also tunes very easy. But it doesnt cast a lighter lure well.

If I cast a heavy lure like a Clackin' Rap, I can almost spool myself, lol.
BassMan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 08:57 PM   #19
nofearengineer

My longest casting reel is my Pflueger Patriarch.
Old 04-20-11, 09:10 PM   #20
bassboogieman

You're welcome
Old 04-21-11, 06:50 AM   #21
gottafish
BassFishin.Com Member

Revo Winch
Fly's a country mile and is a solid reel
Old 04-21-11, 02:40 PM   #22
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

While thinking about casting distance, consider how far away you can get a hook set. Effecient, accurate casting and distance casting are two different things. It's kinda like golf, "Drive for show, putt for dough"

In general a large heavy spool will retain energy and cast further. A lighter spool will start up easier making them suited to light baits
Old 04-23-11, 05:06 PM   #23
3dkicker

I got to test drive the new Lew's Speed Spool on a 7' TFO med/fast last weekend. Friend had 3/8 oz chatterbait rigged up and that thing flew!!! Also no backlash. Didn't have to thumb spool either. Definately worth a look.
Old 04-24-11, 12:54 AM   #24
Bender

I ended up getting a low profile Shimano. The Calcutta 200GTB was just too big. I don't know how it does yet since I tried to make one light cast today but the wind caught the crankbait and made a monster of a backlash. A lot of fun cutting out a brand new spool of P-Line Halo. I might try it again tomorrow but the lake where I'm going is very shallow. Maybe I can try a trap.

Smitty, I got a Lew's a couple months ago and I really like it too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.