Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-11, 03:34 PM   #1
jspier1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Best Braid out there?

What is everyones favorite Braided line? I'm officially done with Spiderwire and have heard greats things of Suffix exspecially the 832.
jspier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 04:57 PM   #2
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Power Pro and Stren Super Braid are my personal favorites. I have also heard fantastic reviews on the 832. Goodluck finding ur favorite!
Old 06-01-11, 05:38 PM   #3
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

suffix 832 is great so is the regular suffix got turn on to it at wheeler gget together i think if you try it you will like it
Old 06-01-11, 06:07 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am a fan of the Sufix Performance braid personally. I have used the same spool for over 2 years. When it fades, I just run it out and flip it around on the reel.
Old 06-01-11, 09:09 PM   #5
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

Daiwa Samurai braid. It is very quiet and smooth. The only downfall to this line is that it is too limp and wraps around the rod tip more often than other braids that I have used.
Old 06-01-11, 09:46 PM   #6
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Am currently using the 832 and love it. I've use Berkeley fireline and liked that also. Heard great things about samurai braid and that will be my next set up.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-11, 09:46 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used Power Pro for years and still think it is one of the best braids out there. This year I decided to try the Sufix Performance braid for my froggin rod and 10 pound Sufix 832 on a spinning rod. The Performance braid floats and so it works well for surface or near surface applications. The Sufix 832 sinks and works well when a small diameter sinking line is prefered. So far I'm really liking the Sufix braids. But I also still think Power Pro is a very good line.
Old 06-01-11, 09:56 PM   #8
Bassboss

I all though I haven't tried many (Spider wire stealth, power pro, and tuff line) I think power pro is my favorite. Not to sure about tuff line, I like it so far, it's smoother then Power pro but I don't think it's a strong, or holds knots quite as well. But you also have to consider I was using 40lb Ppro and 30lb tuff line.

I've been very, very close to getting some Daiwa Braid, but fact that it's so limp (why I didn't Spiderwire), really turned me away.
Old 06-02-11, 12:39 AM   #9
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

I like power pro ,cast well and never gives me a problem..
But the next braid I'm going to try on my frog rod is Sunline FX2 the blue and green stuff.
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 12:07 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

An important factor when looking into braided lines is the number of carriers, or strands, it is made from. Generally, the more carriers in the line, the rounder and smoother the line will be.

Some of the braids I've tried include Power Pro, BPS Excel, Sufix Performance Braid, Spiderwire Stealth, Spiderwire Ultracast (or Invisibraid; same line different colors), Sufix 832. There is only one more braid that I really want to try, and that's Daiwa Samurai Braid.

Only one of these lines warrants me to tell you to stay away, and that's BPS Excel. The stuff was waxy, very stiff until the coating wore off. The waxy coating makes you believe it is smooth until it wears off, then it's pretty rough.

Power Pro is good for what it is: a relatively inexpensive, 4 carrier braid. It isn't the smoothest, but it is reliable, which has made it a favorite of many.

I fell in love with Sufix Performance Braid the first time I used it. It is unique in the number of carriers, because that number varies depending on the test. I believe up to 20lb has 4 carriers, 30-40lb has 6, and 50lb+ has 8 (don't quote me on that though, lol) With their nice sample piece hanging from every box, you can feel the different in smoothness, especially going from the 6 carrier to 8 carrier tests. I've used both the 4 and 6 carrier versions, as I tend not to use very high lb test braid like 50 or 65lb. Anyways, the 6 carrier is noticeably smoother than PP. This has been my braided line of choice for a few years. The color does fade fairly fast on the Performance Braid, but that isn't a big deal to me. Unlike some lines, I haven't experienced any color bleeding onto the reel, rod, etc. though.

Spiderwire Stealth has some pros and major cons. It is an 8 carrier braid, and an inexpensive one. However, I found it to be loosely woven and it tended to fray fairly easily. I used the 50lb test.

Spiderwire Ultracast (or Invisibraid). Like I said above, it's basically the same line, except invisibraid is white. I used the invisibraid in 10 and 15lb tests on spinning reels, hoping it would be easier to see than the usual lo vis green. It is an 8 carrier line and fairly smooth. Noticeably more so than the 10lb Sufix Performance Braid I used on a spinning reel before this. This line is pretty supple and I experienced some wind knots with it.

And finally, Sufix 832. This is an 8 carrier braid, in which one carrier is Gore material. It features 32 picks per inch (hence the name, 832), which means it has 32 weaves in every inch of line. That is similar to how sheets are rated in thread count. Other brands don't label their pick counts, but the 832 is a tightly woven line. I currently have it on a spinning reel in 10lb test Neon Lime and on a casting reel in 20lb test Low-Vis Green. I have a spool of 30lb that isn't on a reel yet as well. I haven't gotten a whole lot of time to fish this line, but so far I love it. Unlike Performance Braid, this features 8 carriers among all tests, so the 10lb is as smooth as the 30. The color seems to hold up better than Sufix PB. Also, because of the Gore fiber, it is SLIGHTLY more dense than water. So it does sink, albeit slowly. It seems to be more abrasion resistant that some other braids, possibly because of the high pick count, or possibly that Gore fiber. This is currently my choice for braid, even over the Sufix PB... Although I've yet to try the famed Daiwa Samurai Braid.

BB
Old 06-05-11, 01:10 AM   #11
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
And finally, Sufix 832. This is an 8 carrier braid, in which one carrier is Gore material. It features 32 picks per inch (hence the name, 832), which means it has 32 weaves in every inch of line. That is similar to how sheets are rated in thread count. Other brands don't label their pick counts, but the 832 is a tightly woven line. I currently have it on a spinning reel in 10lb test Neon Lime and on a casting reel in 20lb test Low-Vis Green. I have a spool of 30lb that isn't on a reel yet as well. I haven't gotten a whole lot of time to fish this line, but so far I love it. Unlike Performance Braid, this features 8 carriers among all tests, so the 10lb is as smooth as the 30. The color seems to hold up better than Sufix PB. Also, because of the Gore fiber, it is SLIGHTLY more dense than water. So it does sink, albeit slowly. It seems to be more abrasion resistant that some other braids, possibly because of the high pick count, or possibly that Gore fiber. This is currently my choice for braid, even over the Sufix PB... Although I've yet to try the famed Daiwa Samurai Braid.

BB
I was really disappointed when I found out that Suffix832 didn't come in 15 pound test... only 10 and 20 pound. I fish with spinning reels. In addition to largemouth lures, I throw small in-line spinners for smallmouth and light jigs for walleye. I'm afraid 20 pound test would be to heavy for such light lures and I'm afraid 10 pound would be too light for the largemouth baits I cast. 15 pound might not be optimal for either, but I was hoping for manageable.

Also, have you ever tried throwing top-waters with Suffix832... like a floating stick-bait, buzz-bait or rubber frog? I'm wondering how much the sinking aspect of Suffix832 affects top-water baits. Again, I know using a sinking line for topwater lures wouldn't be optimal, but I am hoping for manageable.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 07:53 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
I was really disappointed when I found out that Suffix832 didn't come in 15 pound test... only 10 and 20 pound. I fish with spinning reels. In addition to largemouth lures, I throw small in-line spinners for smallmouth and light jigs for walleye. I'm afraid 20 pound test would be to heavy for such light lures and I'm afraid 10 pound would be too light for the largemouth baits I cast. 15 pound might not be optimal for either, but I was hoping for manageable.

Also, have you ever tried throwing top-waters with Suffix832... like a floating stick-bait, buzz-bait or rubber frog? I'm wondering how much the sinking aspect of Suffix832 affects top-water baits. Again, I know using a sinking line for topwater lures wouldn't be optimal, but I am hoping for manageable.
I haven't thrown topwaters on Sufix 832. I don't know if I would... It sinks, although very slowly. So it may not be an issue for fast moving topwaters like a spook, buzzbait, or frog.

I too think 15lb braid is a good general purpose line for spinning reels. I've actually got 10lb braid on both of my spinning reels right now. However, I also fish casting reels, so my spinning reels don't see a lot of use with heavier lures. If you've got a couple set ups can you designate one for light lures like Dropshot, shaky head, in-line spinners, and walleye jigs and one or more for heavier LM lures? Then you can put 10lb test on the one rod, and 20lb on the latter.

BB
Old 06-05-11, 09:06 AM   #13
lilmule

10 pd power pro on spinning outfits,and 20 lb on open water 30 for flipping , about 6lb diameter for 20 lb and the 10 is about a 3lb.
40-50pd for serious frogging power pro or red cajin made in the usa
30 pd suffix for open topwater like with a gsplash,the 30 pd keeps the stripers from swiping it they are expensive.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-11, 09:29 AM   #14
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I got a box of the Stren Sonic Braid in the mail the other day. I spent yesterday using it on a carolina rig yesterday. I liked it. It casts well and the sensitivity, as with most braids, is great.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 10:23 AM   #15
docirv

Send a message via Skype™ to docirv

I found that the samurai braid break too easily.... unless it is at least 55 lbs
Old 06-06-11, 11:21 AM   #16
Tavery5

I have used PowerPro for most of my braided line needs, that is until recently, the new Suffix 832 has replaced it as my line of choice. As BB144 stated, the fact that it uses 8 carriers and 32 weaves per inch make it a rounder and noticeably smoother line. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.