Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-28-11, 10:01 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rod for soft plastics?

i already have a reel its a Abu Garcia Cardinal with 12 lb fluoro and i need a rod. I love the reel i have used it on other rods but i need one for specifically craws, brush hogs, etc.
Old 07-28-11, 10:04 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I find most soft plastics are better thrown on a baitcaster. But if you're looking for a spinning rod, I'd look into a 7' MH F. That's a good all around rod for throwing plastics.

If you want some suggestions on which specific rods, it'll help if we know what you're looking to spend on the rod.

BB
Old 07-28-11, 10:13 PM   #3
Scott the fishman

i have a bait caster and i am not to good at it yet but i am going to get a Vendetta and i am looking to spend at most 125 dollars
Old 07-28-11, 10:49 PM   #4
keithdog

The Vendetta is a great rod for the price, and the 7'MH/F like BB144 said will searve you well. I have a Vendetta rod that Iuse for froggin and I couldn't be happier.
Old 07-29-11, 02:16 PM   #5
DaveW731

Default To each his own....

I am pretty proficient with both baitcasting and spinning gear and I prefer a spinning outfit for soft plastics whenever the cover lets me get away with it. Just seems easier for me to keep a light touch on the pole, both for imparting more subtle action and for feeling the bite. I can use my free hand to feather the line coming off the spool, for much the same effect on controlling distance as thumbing a baitcaster. I use a 6'6" M BassPro Qualifier (I think that is the model) and it works fine. IMO, braid is a MUST with plastics but again, to each his own. I guess if I was limited to a spinning outfit for all of my plastics, I would go with a MH action, which is what I use on my baitcast setup. I also really do like BassPro's rods and they are in your price range, so I would include those on your list as well.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-11, 03:13 PM   #6
Bassboss

$125 price range I think I'd probably try to get a Veritas or verdict. Never used either, but I know they're great rods for the money. I've heard the verdict has had some breakage issues, so verdict might be the way to go if you're willing to sacrifice a little sensitivity for a perhaps more durable rod. Personally I think I would wait until you got better a bait caster, and use that for your plastics. But if you decide to go with the spinning, I think a 7' M would probably best so you still use as a finesse rod once you get good a baitcasters.
Old 07-29-11, 06:26 PM   #7
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It depends upon how one is wanting to toss that rubber as a crig,a berkley lightning rod mh 6 ft 6 in costing under 50 bucks works well,just about any of the med heavy rods with fast tipwork well on a trig.And what fits or suits one person does not another as not all same hieight and build,shorter guys like shorter rods,for say underhanded flipping.
So regardless of cost its how it preforms for you,I use an old ugly stick for t rigging and have flipping sticks its lighter,I use the longer heftier rods out on the main and ledge fishing.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 07:06 AM   #8
Backwater Charlie

What model Cardinal is it? In my opinion, I wouldn't pair a $125 rod up with a $40 reel. Maybe I'm a minority here but I believe the reel is the KEY in fishing, instead of the rod, especially when fishing moving baits. I say go to Wal-Mart and look at their rods. I know for $45 they have a nice Abu Garcia rod that's very light for the price. 6' 6" or 7' M is what you need. MH's (especially when fishing lighter plastics) take away from the fun of fighting a huge bass, when they aren't necessary.
Old 08-01-11, 02:04 AM   #9
Ebbetsguy

125.oo , spinning rod for for Soft Plasitcs; here are 3 good suggestions, I have used them all, which is better than reading about them

1. St Croix Premier, 110 bucks . They had issues with guide inserts, but that seems to be a thing of the past
2. BPS Extreme
3. Fenwick HMX

all in 6'6" Med heavy / fast tips
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-11, 07:20 AM   #10
bassboogieman

Quote:
I wouldn't pair a $125 rod up with a $40 reel.
I totally disagree with that, especially in this instance when we are talking SPINNING reels, fishing plastics. I've put $60 reels (Pflueger President) on a $350 rod (Kistler LTX) and it works exceedingly well. The rod is more important, IMO with spinning gear in making the cast, AND dectecting the bite. With baitcasters I would tend to be more agreeable (regarding castability), but with spinning reels once you open the bail to cast - a $50 reel and a $200 reel are virtually identical in performance. After closing the bail a difference may be noticalble, but retreive with a spinning reels is third, behind castability and bite detection in importance for me, again as regards this application - fishing plastics.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 10:49 AM   #11
Fish30114

Default Chocolate & vanilla

Well, this is perfect example of why there is chocolate and vanilla IMO. I think a spinning rig is MUCH better for tossing soft plastics than a baitcaster--exact opposite of some of the other posters! I feel with a really light t-rigged plastic, it is absolutely easier to cast, and cast further than with a caster, even a specialized finesse casting reel--have one and don't like it for this application. The rod is darn important, feeling the light taps is easier with a sensitive rod. I have had the Veritas and the Vendetta rods (spinning) and they are NOT comfotable to hold for any length of time. I would definitely spend my money on a good full cork handled St. Croix Premier, Eyecon or even a Triumph series, or other good IM7 blank based rod before one of those two. The BassPro tournament series IM5 or 6 even, would be better than they are IMO.

A 6'6" or 7' med/heavy fast or extra fast wold be my choice if I knew I had a chance at some 5+ lb fish, if I knew that fish in the 5lb range would really be my max, I'd probably go for a med/extra fast. Having that fast tip makes it easier to flick those lighter baits into your target zone, and helps in picking up those light strikes when the come--which is a lot!

I'd be using 10-12 lb flouro or even 6-8 lb if I knew my max fish would be on the lighter side. One thing to know, is if you can catch the dinks just tapping on your bait, then setting up on a bigger fish will be easier in comparison a lot of the time!
As a friend of mine says: 'I'm not trying to hook the little nibblers, I'm looking for the big gulpers!'
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 02:45 PM   #12
3dkicker

If you can find one 10-20% off I'd look at the Shimano Crucial rods. They've changed the handle to a split grip but it's probably the best spinning rod I've used. Look at the 6'8" M or MH model for 1/8-3/16 oz weights.
Second I'd look at St. Croix or a Fenwick in the price range. Best of all find a store that carries a variety and compare them. Bring the reel, rig the rod up, and make a couple casts down the isle......only way to get a good idea before buying one.
Old 08-02-11, 04:38 PM   #13
oglejust

i prefer my baitcaster for almost everything, including plastics. if the bite gets tough ill get my ultralight out n toss a 4" grub or a shakey head but thats rare
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-11, 04:40 PM   #14
dave0943

I've got just the rod for you. The rod is a Cabela's Fish Eagle 11. It sells for 79.95. This rod is never talked about much. I own three of them. They are just as good as a few of the 100.00 t0 125.00 rods I have. Great feel, hardware, quality of build. They carry a Two year warranty to which Cabela's stand by. I'm more than pleased with them. I have 2 spinning and 1 baitcasting rods in this line. I can't say enough about them. I bought my first one by accident with a Cabela's Prodigy reel as a sale combo. I liked the rod so much I bought a 7' M spinning rod, and then another. I have a few Mojo rods that don't stand up to them. I keep looking to see when others will discover these rods. For 79.00 you can't go wrong. It sounds like a rod for the reel you have.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.