Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-30-11, 12:32 AM   #1
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Default POLL:Favorite braided line?

I dont know if this has been asked before but I am going to ask it anyways for the hell of it
I just want everyone's take on there favorite braided fishing line and why you like it.If you have more than one say that as well.
I want to make this a braid discussion.

Personally I like spiderwire
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 12:46 AM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Was a Power Pro user for years, have recently switched to 832.
Old 07-30-11, 01:11 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am a fan of Sufix Performance user. I wonder what the difference is between the it and the 832?

I just read up on it, I might have to try a spool. My green is now turning white so it is about time for some new line.

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 07-30-11 at 01:22 AM.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 05:05 AM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well. I've used Power Pro for years and still like it very much. This year I put Sufix Performance 50# on my froggin rod and I like it a lot. I have a spinning rod with 10# 832 braid for smaller light weight subsurface uses and I really like that! The 832 braid sinks while the others float. I can't really make a fair comparison as I am casting 50#, 30#, and 10# on different rods. To make a fair comparison I'd have to be casting the same weights on the same outfits. All three perform well for me, so I'd be fine with either. Although, for strickly sunsurface use I would go with the 832.
Old 07-30-11, 09:21 AM   #5
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Im a spiderwire stealth guy my self. I think it holds color pretty well and ive landed lots of upper 40" muskies on 65# so thats good enough for me. I do have some of my muskie rigs rigged with 80# power pro which i think cuts vegitation a little better. Ive heard alot of good things about the 832, i might give it a go for bucktails next season.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 09:39 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sufix 832. Been a Sufix PB fan for a couple years but slowly switching over to the 832. I've got 832 in 10lb on my dropshot rod, 20lb on my light t-rig rod, and a spool of 30lb waiting for my pitching/frog rod to run out of PB.

The 832 is one of the smoothest and quietest braids I've used. Very sensitive, as most braids are. Overall, it's a great line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I am a fan of Sufix Performance user. I wonder what the difference is between the it and the 832?

I just read up on it, I might have to try a spool. My green is now turning white so it is about time for some new line.
Bubba, the 832 features 8 carriers throughout all tests while the PB can have 4, 6, or 8 depending on the strength of the line. 832 is also a very tightly woven line with a Gore fiber in it. Not sure if the gore fiber really helps with anything, but it does make the line slightly denser than water so it does sink.

I've had PB on a reel that's been white for over a year. It fades too quickly to switch once it turn white. I usually change braid out every 2-3 years unless I use it up changing lures, F' it up with a nasty backlash (which I don't think I've done with braid yet), etc. But I highly recommend the 832.

BB
Old 07-30-11, 12:12 PM   #7
bassinbob

Bigbassin, why would you use the 832 for frogs if it sinks? I like Power Pro. Hate the Spiderwire camo line.
Old 07-30-11, 12:27 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Bob, the 832 does sink, although very slowly. I don't think it is enough to effect the action of a frog, especially since the line is usually on top of the weeds/pads a lot or the bait is moving quickly like the case of Horny Toads. And I don't really fish frogs a lot. If I had a dedicated frog rod, I may use the 40-50lb Sufix PB or try Daiwa's Samurai braid.

BB
Old 07-30-11, 12:29 PM   #9
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

I have tried sufix performance braid and I did not like it very much I could not get very many hook sets maybe I am just not used to it.
Power pro is decent but I still prefer spiderwire ultracast or stealth braid.
Perhaps I will try the new 832 but its pretty expensive stuff is it worth it?
Old 07-30-11, 12:49 PM   #10
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

I know Fireline isn't really a braided line but that's what I like on spinning reels and Spiderwire Stealth on baitcasters.The Spiderwire tends to wrap around the tip alot on spinning gear.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 01:24 PM   #11
66KingFisher

I'm fairly new to using braid, and so far all I've used was Spiderwire EZ braid which I did not care for and replaced with PowerPro which I'm much happier with....so far. I just got a spool of Stren Sonic braid from an internet contest but I haven't tried it yet....its the first white braid I'd seen....not sure how I feel about that....lol
Old 07-30-11, 01:30 PM   #12
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
I'm fairly new to using braid, and so far all I've used was Spiderwire EZ braid which I did not care for and replaced with PowerPro which I'm much happier with....so far. I just got a spool of Stren Sonic braid from an internet contest but I haven't tried it yet....its the first white braid I'd seen....not sure how I feel about that....lol
EZ braid is not very good dont judge all of spiderwires braids on that one though.
What I see a lot and what happens is people who are new to braid try crappy braid lol and then they refuse to use braid again when they dont know what they are missing.
Braid has many good uses.
Old 07-30-11, 02:32 PM   #13
BigBassin144

I've used Spiderwire Stealth and Invisibraid (basically UltraCast, but white). The Stealth was smooth, but it wasn't just kind of weird, lol. It was very limp and frayed kinda of easily. The UltraCast was better and still smooth. I won't use either of the Stren braids, they feel like sandpaper, lol.

BB
Old 07-30-11, 04:29 PM   #14
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Tried them all and really prefer Pline Spectrex the best.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 06:44 PM   #15
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I've used Spiderwire Stealth and Invisibraid (basically UltraCast, but white). The Stealth was smooth, but it wasn't just kind of weird, lol. It was very limp and frayed kinda of easily. The UltraCast was better and still smooth. I won't use either of the Stren braids, they feel like sandpaper, lol.

BB
Your talking about the yellow box spiderwire ultracast right?
I love that line the best but I am now starting to use spiderwire stealth
because most stores including BPS and Gander Mountain, dont carry ultracast so far I can tell not much of a difference both of the lines are of good quality.
Old 07-31-11, 09:26 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekevster View Post
Your talking about the yellow box spiderwire ultracast right?
I love that line the best but I am now starting to use spiderwire stealth
because most stores including BPS and Gander Mountain, dont carry ultracast so far I can tell not much of a difference both of the lines are of good quality.
The Invisibraid is actually in a shiny silver box, but it's the same line as the Ultracast, just in a while color. Now I know it's not invisible like they claim, but I purchased it hoping the white would be easier to see dropshotting than the traditional dark green. Turns out, it really isn't. Dark line blends into water with no/little glare on it, but stands out when the surface of the water is bright. The white line does just the opposite.

Anyways, I've used both that and Stealth and preferred the UltraCast. They are both 8 carrier lines, however the Ultracast has a much tighter weave. The stealth isn't a bad braid, especially for the price it sells at, but it still leaves me wanting something more; a line a little stiffer. I believe the lose weave makes Stealth fairly limp and while I don't want steel cable, I want a little body in my braid.

BB
Old 08-01-11, 02:59 PM   #17
dave0943

I use Stealth and Power Pro the most. I have been comfortable with the two Brands and have found no reason to switch. I have used other brands and liked a few. The Stealth and Power Pro are sold local at quite a few stores. That's helpfull while in between trips to Bass Pro or Cabela's. Until I have problems with the two, I'll stay with what works for me.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-11, 11:06 AM   #18
Old Hooker

So far the Power Pro 30 lb has worked really well for me.
Old 08-06-11, 10:22 AM   #19
Bassboss

I still like power pro. I haven't used a whole heck of a lot of braid, but I've used others that cost about the same (Spider wire stealth, tuff line, to name a few), and it's my favorite for sure. It's not quite as smooth as the other two mentioned, but it seem to hold a knot better, and "stronger." It's also not limp and body-less like the others... it's got some body to it that I really like.. much easier to manage IMO. Power pro is also much more abrasion resistant then the others.

Last edited by Bassboss; 08-06-11 at 10:28 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 04:05 PM   #20
fish4942

Power Pro is my favorite. My first was Suffix PB but it seems to dig in too much on the spool and snaps too often. I was able to A/B both and the Suffix just gave me fits. Nothing worse than seeing a $9-$10 frog go flying off into the wild blue yonder and there ain’t nothing you can do about it. Well, if you’re fishing from the bank anyway. Instead of stripping if off made that reel my Catfishing reel until it’s time to re-spool. I also just spooled my Revo SX up with some 50lb Spider Wire Stealth but I haven’t got it out on the water yet. Cast darn good in the driveway though. J
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 04:32 PM   #21
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

Suffix 832 for most applications and power pro sometimes. dont really use it all that much to have a distinct favorite.
Old 08-19-11, 02:09 AM   #22
Scattergun2570
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekevster View Post
I dont know if this has been asked before but I am going to ask it anyways for the hell of it
I just want everyone's take on there favorite braided fishing line and why you like it.If you have more than one say that as well.
I want to make this a braid discussion.

Personally I like spiderwire

Daiwa Samurai is the best..by far.
Scattergun2570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 09:51 AM   #23
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

I just ordered some Ripcord from Cabela's. I like it pretty well. Plus, it's on clearance for 6.99 for 400 yards of #30. I like it better than Power Pro, but not as good as Stealth. But for that price, can't beat it.
dizzy_ghs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 10:03 PM   #24
Victor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Victor

That question is so hard to answer, I try new lines every month to see which ones the best, cause I can't say after a day of fishing if this line is good or not, I gotta wait until the line starts to lose its color...
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-11, 01:15 PM   #25
C DUDE
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm a Stren kind of guy. Not because I perfer one over the other just 'cause I've used stren since I was a kid with my dad.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.