Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-11, 09:55 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Duckett Rods?

OK guys, after meeting Boyd Duckett at the Bassmaster Open this year in Sandusky, Ohio, I was really impressed with his new Micro Magic Rods. I was at the ramp all week, working a tackle booth for Economical Bass Baits, and talked to Duckett during practice, and I asked him about trying out some of his new rods. He told me to come find him in the morning before he launched and he would loan me a couple of them. So, a man of his word, he left me a 7' M-Fast Casting rod, and a 6'6" M-Fast spinning rod. He was a true class act, and let me test the rods out for free for the next couple of days. Now from when I fished these rods, for a couple of days, they felt pretty good to me.

I went to BPS and purchased two of the 7'MH casting rods, and for some reason they do not feel as sensitive to me, as the one's that Boyd loaned me. I fished them with identical baits and line next to my Veritas and Carbonlite rods, and they are both more sensitive than the Duckett's. I could definetley feel the bottom better and feel the changes in the bottom compostion better with the carbonlite and veritas rods. If anybody else has a Duckett rod, how does the sensitivity measure up on these rods?

Ryan

(PS - don't mind that ugly green thing on top of the Duckett Rod, that was at a different point in my life, and I don't care to go back to the She-man-O reels)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0825111544.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	7427   Click image for larger version

Name:	0826110658.jpg
Views:	3326
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	7428  
Old 12-22-11, 10:30 PM   #2
lilmule

I met him last summer at Paris Landing,nice fella was letting several interested parties handle the rods.
Even has shoes to match.

Not taking anything away from him,most pros use something a tad better or different than even the name brand stuff with their name on it.
You would find crankbaits in kvd s boat that dont match any of the line with his name on them.As made specifically for him.
Another would have jigs with different sink rates you cannot find,or a bait that doesnt rattle when all the rest do or vise versa.
Fits just about any pro out there,they take a sampling of what he likes and place it in a rod or lure etc.not all.
He was to my left about ten ft when I dock flipped a keeper(gsplash),made my day.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 11:13 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

I think mule's right. The impala you see at darlington on sunday isn't the malibu you see at your local dealer on mon. well that maybe a little extreme but still don't think they just pull on off the line and hand it to him.
Old 12-23-11, 12:02 AM   #4
Bender

The only one I have is a 7'11" MH cranking rod, so it is hard for me to compare sensitivity from that to anything else. I don't really have any complaints with the rod, other than it is maybe a tad heavy since I feel like I've lost a lot of fish by setting the hook too hard with Series 5 and 6 XDs. And mine seems to do fine with a "She-man-O" reel , but the one on mine's chrome.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 12:09 AM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Only thing I can think of is maybe a different run of blank or they might just need a little more flexing time on the water to get "broke in". I imagine the ones he lent you have seen their fare share of casting time or maybe they have just been baking in his box or back of his truck.
Old 12-23-11, 08:44 AM   #6
lilmule

As someone else surmised not just rods ,not even just lures.
Do you think mercury marine just took a motor off assembly line to test for publicity or race in stock class,or for that matter just any allison 2002 to set a new speed record with.
If a car is sent to someone to review do they just send any,no they go test a doz or more themselves take the best one and give to them.
Years ago several 135 hp mercs were found to put out 152 hp,thats beyond the allowed ten percent,most were just under at 147.
So none of the eq used even if stock off the assembly line(if you can believe that) are what you as the consumer normally buys.
In the case of a motor may even be balanced and have a higher rev limiter available to you as aftermarket so legal stock motor.
Several pros have stated the name brand that carries their name changed somewhat after they placed their name on it(carrot stix) and withdrew support.
Granted it wast exactly what the pro used but close,until changes allowed the blank to break often.
Davy Hites 250 dollar per lake chip most likly doesnt contain every honey hole he ever found,but enough its called Davy Hites chip,also bought about half the company.
So doubt full if what you have is exactly the same as what they have,just has some of the features he or she likes.

Last edited by lilmule; 12-23-11 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-23-11, 12:47 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ihave 3 duckett rods ZOOKER gave me. LOVE THEM. 2 are 7'6" and 1 7'. micro guides on all 3. in my opion they are VERY sensitive. and maybe it's because they are broke in already when i recieved them. i love these rods.
Old 12-23-11, 07:40 PM   #8
aikenyounggun

I have the 7 ft like you, mh. I love it, super sensitive, might just be your mind playing tricks on you. It was a "pros" rod so might of gave your mind some idea it was better or he may have had them pay special attention to his rods. Or a mix of both.
Great rods though
Old 12-24-11, 01:48 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Wasn't part of the divorce between Duckett and Carrot Stix because he found out they were selling lesser quality product than what they were giving him to fish with? That leads me to believe that the rods you buy off the shelf are probably the same rods he uses, or at least I would like to think so. I really can't answer your question but I am interested in hearing the conclusion you come to.
Old 12-24-11, 09:29 AM   #10
rrw4258

Well, I am coming to the conlcusion that it was not just in my head, as myself and a few fishing buddies all fished the same set of rods (Duckett, Carbonlite, and Veritas) and we all came to the conlcusion that the Carbonlite was the most sensitive, followed by the Veritas, and then the Duckett. Don't get me wrong, the Duckett wasn't like Ugly Stick terrible, but you could definetly feel the bottom better with the Carbonlite and Veritas. I will try to do some more testing with some different bottom baits today at the reservoir down the road.

Ryan
Old 12-24-11, 11:02 AM   #11
lilmule

Think if you read back a bit on the subject the divorce came because rods had changed and were breaking.
As for sensitivity I can pick up several rods same brand and often find a difference,and being made of less $ nowdays find a good use for an ugly stick,it has its place,and price is less than half as much as even a duckett.
I dont look as much for a sensitive rod now days as I do one that can handle 5+ fish,compared to one that will hook one and not get it in.
On ky lake normally sensitive bite is drop shot,unweighted in summer,or a jig,the rest arnt needing a sensitive rod.
Crig a cheap berkley lightning does well 40 some bucks at wally world,ugly stix in a med works for cranks and in mh for t rigging same price range.
My flipping stix are more sensitive yet under 100 bucks,frogging rods get even more usage none costing over 110.
Im older on ss so $ are a concern,the duckett rod is a decent alternative for some of us compared to rods costing twice as much.I dont own any 200 plus reels either,as dont see a need for them,nor can I justify the expense.
One day(rrw) just for the experience take a day and go fish the Muskingum River,about the only manual locks left anywhere one does have to call ahead if they wish to lock thru,as not manned 24/7

Last edited by lilmule; 12-24-11 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-24-11, 12:10 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Think if you read back a bit on the subject the divorce came because rods had changed and were breaking.
As for sensitivity I can pick up several rods same brand and often find a difference,and being made of less $ nowdays find a good use for an ugly stick,it has its place,and price is less than half as much as even a duckett.
I dont look as much for a sensitive rod now days as I do one that can handle 5+ fish,compared to one that will hook one and not get it in.
On ky lake normally sensitive bite is drop shot,unweighted in summer,or a jig,the rest arnt needing a sensitive rod.
Crig a cheap berkley lightning does well 40 some bucks at wally world,ugly stix in a med works for cranks and in mh for t rigging same price range.
My flipping stix are more sensitive yet under 100 bucks,frogging rods get even more usage none costing over 110.
Im older on ss so $ are a concern,the duckett rod is a decent alternative for some of us compared to rods costing twice as much.I dont own any 200 plus reels either,as dont see a need for them,nor can I justify the expense.
One day(rrw) just for the experience take a day and go fish the Muskingum River,about the only manual locks left anywhere one does have to call ahead if they wish to lock thru,as not manned 24/7
Your right but his rods weren't breaking, only the ones bought off the shelf were having breaking issues. That is because he was getting a higher quality rod than what we could buy.

I wonder if maybe the guide placement on the rods Duckett loaned Ryan was different than the guide placement on the rods he bought? This could make a difference in sensitivity, but without having Boyds rods to compare them to it is impossible to know.
Old 12-24-11, 12:25 PM   #13
lilmule

I think that very well could be,as for those that broke,was due to a change in the blank and guides id say mine broke on a power cast with a gsplash,repaired locally as they wanted to much.
The guides and placement do load the rod up,change them and one changes the rods ability to flex and where to some degree.
Myself ive always like the spiral wrap(chuck roberts being the inventor who held the patent not the bass professor) as loads the rod evenly.
Old 12-24-11, 04:09 PM   #14
rrw4258

Well, I got back from my little (and very, very cold) experiment today on the water with the Duckett vs. the Carbonlite. I used the same reel(carbonlite), line(16 lb. Sunline Sniper), and 1/4 ounce football jig. I went to a rocky bank, and made quite a few casts to the same areas, and to me, I still feel the Carbonlite was the more sensitive of the two.

Guide placement is an intersting thing to bring up Kory. The rods that he loaned me (specifically the spinning model) had some old markings on the blank where it looked like he cut some guides off, and they were replaced in a couple different spots. The blank was marked with a blue sharpie, and it had the guide sizes listed right next to the guides. The casting rod was as far as I can tell, unaltered, as far as guide placement goes.

Also, you should have seen the back of his truck... a custom rod rack lining the top of the cap, and probably around 40 extra rods in the bed of the truck. It is crazy just how much these guys carry with them. He even asked me, if I needed reels for the rods? I did have a Curado and Patriarch spinning with me, so I told him that I had a couple. Maybe I should have told him no, and got a couple of Revo Premiers?

Ryan
Old 12-24-11, 04:35 PM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Hindsight sucks, don't it Ryan hahahaha.
Old 12-24-11, 05:07 PM   #16
bamabassman

gt with him again and say you think YOUR reels are the problem and want to try some other reels. may get you a couple of PREMO revo's.
Old 12-24-11, 05:15 PM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Dangit Bama, I knew I was forgetting something. I will get those out to you in a few days, speaking of Duckett.
Old 12-24-11, 05:20 PM   #18
bamabassman

BWAHAHAHAHAA, no rush bubba. it's all good man. and i jsut need 1 remember?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.