Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-12, 12:57 PM   #26
Vudujoose
BassFishin.Com Member

Yesterday I anchored in the middle of "Lunker hole" a spot we have named for purposes you can probably decipher and fan fished the weed beds. Wind and current were a factor, and position of the boat was hard to keep with the trolling motor. I pulled x2 3 pounders and a few 1 pounders. So simply put, it depends on the situation, but 9 out of 10 times I don;t use an anchor...
Vudujoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-12, 08:11 PM   #27
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For LGMouth the whole idea of an anchor seems odd. But The mighty Potomac has acres and acres of grass and pads to slow you down. Once many years ago my Gambler G183 had a failure in the built in charger and my batteries where dead. I used the anchor all day and was suprised to have a 50 fish day.. As a guide I felt like I was cheating my clients..

Still we caught LGMouth all day.. winds where kicking too.

Capt Mike
Old 05-14-12, 07:31 AM   #28
kennethdaysale

For LGMouth the whole idea of leaving a group of willing catchable fish in my prop wash just to keep moving for movings sake, hoping to find some willing catchable fish around the next point seems odd to me.
Old 05-14-12, 10:19 PM   #29
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yep. I have 2 as well as a wind sock. Wind in south Texas is a constant, usually 10-15+. Power poles look great but my anchors cost about 1/100 of what a powerpole costs and depth is limited only by rope length.

Last edited by Rebbasser; 05-14-12 at 10:38 PM.
Rebbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 08:00 AM   #30
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A more useful discussion is How do you anchor?

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-12, 01:28 PM   #31
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
A more useful discussion is How do you anchor?

oe
Fore and aft.
Usually upwind from target, or whatever the situation calls for. Maybe anchor shallow and fish deep/up..or..anchor deep and fish shallow/down..etc.
Old 05-20-12, 09:19 AM   #32
OkobojiEagle

My fishing boat is a 16' aluminum tiller. I carry two anchor sets, 40lb total weight and 28lb total weight. I also carry three different sized drift socks. 7 anchor cleats... bow point, 1/3 back and 2/3 back on port and starboard, and both transom corners. Except when achoring from the bow in strong wind, I like to anchor from two different cleats using a long "bungie" harness to a single anchor, most often from the two transom cleats allowing me to fish from the front deck and swing the boat port and starboard a significant distance using my front trolling motor. I can set up similarly from the bow in stronger winds and fish from the aft using a transom trolling motor, but it isn't as comfortable.

Using the bungie harness from the 1/3 and 2/3 cleats to a single anchor presents my boat more broadside to the target and allows two anglers better fishing angles. Some boat swinging will occur but using two cleats reduces this to tolerable.

On occasion I may want to quarter into the wind and will anchor from either the 1/3 cleat port or starboard. Considerably more swing will happen but sometimes this will provide the best casting angles.

I seldom use both anchors at the same time but when I do it is most often from both port and starboard 1/3 cleats bow into the wind.

I use similar arrangements dragging my drift socks covering long points, reefs and shorelines.

I'd like to read how others set up with anchors and bags.

oe
Old 05-20-12, 07:40 PM   #33
kennethdaysale

Dang Oak I thought your post was a question....obviously not! Good to read a post from a technical anchor(er)

I use 2 20lb anchors both on port side 1/3 and 1/3. I have done the bungee thing in the past when I fished alone a lot. Also don't deply the socks as much as I used to.
Old 05-21-12, 02:42 AM   #34
Hoosier

Default Depends

I use mine a bit but only in the shallows as a new boat owner im more than glad to replace my 40 dollar anchor than my 800 dollar trolling motor. I see alot of people float and alot of people anchor unless the guy that looked at you like you were crazy was Skeet Reese or KVD pay no attention.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 10:49 AM   #35
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Can you guys describe the "bungee" method, because I often anchor from the stern or bow, depending on wind, but it kinda messes with my partner.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 07:32 AM   #36
OkobojiEagle

The bungee harness I use is a product a gentleman from Minnesota marketed from his home a few years back and is no longer being made commercially. It consists of two 7' heavy bungee cords each looped at one end to be attached to a boat cleat and connected to a heavy plastic "cleat" between them. The cleat is difficult to describe but is designed to allow attaching an anchor rope securely to it anywhere along the anchor rope.

With the looped ends attached to one or two boat cleats and the anchor rope attached to the harness' cleat the bungee harness will absorb considerable wave pounding providing more stability in the boat and requiring less anchor weight and/or rope length necessary to secure the boat in place. Attaching the harness to two boat cleats reduces the boat pivoting as much as when anchored from only one cleat.

My explanation is feeble but I'll send you a picture of the harness if you care enough and will send me your email address.

oe
Old 05-22-12, 04:16 PM   #37
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Can you guys describe the "bungee" method, because I often anchor from the stern or bow, depending on wind, but it kinda messes with my partner.
http://www.drop-n-stay.com/
Dog watch the first video and pay attention when he begins to show/explain the Deuce.....not a hard DIY project
Old 05-22-12, 04:42 PM   #38
OkobojiEagle

Good job finding that site! The drop-n-stay deuce is the harness I use but couldn't remember it's name. The site will explain much better than I the finer points of anchoring. It appears that little company is an "on again/off again" organization! If they were still available (or become available again) I recommend them highly.

oe
Old 05-22-12, 05:43 PM   #39
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks, due to the nature of the company, I think it's time for a trip to the boating/hardware store. Just what I was looking for(and never knew it!). Thanks again.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.