Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-12-12, 10:38 AM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rules to be changed??

If you could change one thing in rules/ and or regulations in Bass/ Flw what would it be?
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 10:41 AM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I like the rules in Major League Fishing, it brought an added level of excitement to the game for me. I would like to see the Elite adopt a format similar to this.
Old 04-12-12, 01:17 PM   #3
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I like the rules in Major League Fishing, it brought an added level of excitement to the game for me. I would like to see the Elite adopt a format similar to this.
Tav change the whole format or something specific
Old 04-12-12, 04:12 PM   #4
Tavery5

I would like to see a wholesale change. If you are not familar with the MLF format, you should try and check out one of the events and see what you think.
Old 04-12-12, 04:30 PM   #5
IowaBasser

I know nothing about Bass/ flw, MLF, or the Elite... I assume these are different tournament tours, each with their own set of rules. What are the major differeces?
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 04:51 PM   #6
Mumpy

I also liked the MLF rules to where the Fish were being weighed and released immediately. So if there was one rule I would like to see changed is that. I would like to see the Fish be Weighed, Recorded and Released especially during the pre-spawn and spawn.
Old 04-12-12, 05:19 PM   #7
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
I also liked the MLF rules to where the Fish were being weighed and released immediately. So if there was one rule I would like to see changed is that. I would like to see the Fish be Weighed, Recorded and Released especially during the pre-spawn and spawn.
+1, I think with the technology today, the actual weigh-ins are unnecessary, though I imagine would ruin some of the spectacle of the event.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 05:23 PM   #8
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
I know nothing about Bass/ flw, MLF, or the Elite... I assume these are different tournament tours, each with their own set of rules. What are the major differeces?

http://advancecast.majorleaguefishin...leaguefishing/

If you get a chance, check out the free video, it will explain the MLF format in detail.
Old 04-12-12, 05:49 PM   #9
bassboogieman

Without the day end weighing ceremony everyone might just as well stay home and watch it on TV. The weigh-in is what brings the crowds out and makes for "exciting" TV. Without TV where would bass fishing be? Maybe not as far along the way towards being NASCAR on the water, and maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing. I really could care less about what "rules" are followed by the variout "professional" circuits. It doesn't impact my fishing at all, and I don't really care about what the "professionals" do or don't do. .
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 11:38 PM   #10
skeeter1804

In the Elites they banned the Alabama rig, I would ban the Hydrowave.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 05:07 AM   #11
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

I'd bring back allowing the net in BASS. Sick and tired of watching those fish being banged all over the deck.
Old 04-19-12, 10:23 AM   #12
ydoc
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw174 View Post
I'd bring back allowing the net in BASS. Sick and tired of watching those fish being banged all over the deck.
AMEN! AMEN! (Reply format requires 10 characters or more... )
ydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 01:44 PM   #13
Crankbait

I always thought that the pros not using nets was for more excitement in the landing and for some protection to the fish (from being in the net) but I agree I to am disappointed in the treatment of the bass being caught and thrown around on the deck of the boat!
Old 04-19-12, 03:07 PM   #14
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

17' boat length limit and a 10' rod length limit.
Old 04-19-12, 10:18 PM   #15
bassboogieman

Quote:
17' boat length limit and a 10' rod length limit.
That would make for an interesting day for angler and co-angler.
Old 04-19-12, 10:38 PM   #16
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

True. I dont really care much for there being co anglers. And I think most of the change of rod length will be in flipping or jiggerpolling. Perhaps flycasting, but weve had that discussion before and I agree its doubtful that fly tackle would be used much.

The boat length limit is really aimed at trying where possible, to hold down the average price of a BASS boat. I think professional bass fishing at the highest levels is going to start using so much technology and expensive rigs that it might just distance itself from the average angler. Kayaks would make bass tourneys much more interesting, or maybe gheenoes.

Last edited by WTL; 04-19-12 at 10:43 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 11:28 PM   #17
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Without the day end weighing ceremony everyone might just as well stay home and watch it on TV. The weigh-in is what brings the crowds out and makes for "exciting" TV. Without TV where would bass fishing be? Maybe not as far along the way towards being NASCAR on the water, and maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing. I really could care less about what "rules" are followed by the variout "professional" circuits. It doesn't impact my fishing at all, and I don't really care about what the "professionals" do or don't do. .

I don't know Boogie, maybe I'm a weird one but I actually enjoy the coverage of the fishing allot more than the weigh-in. Most of the time you already know who is going to win before they even go through the formality of the weigh-in.

Seems like to me there would be allot more money in selling advertising slots than in people attending the weigh-in.

Hard to say, but I believe the current format is doomed, and will not last much longer.
Old 04-20-12, 12:09 AM   #18
bassboogieman

We have to agree to disagree Tony. The "fishing" usually isn't much more that setting the hook, winching it in (no fighting the fish, most are skimmed across the surface to the boat - unless it's a real big one), swinging it on board and putting it in the live well, and a "thank you Lord"* or some such line in appreciation of Divine assistance in catching one.

[*I do not mean to be anti-religion with that remark, it's actually an attempt to point out how ridiculous and two-faced NBC Sports Network is when they do not bleep the praise during a pro event, while at the same time DEMAND Al Linder eliminate the 1 minute of testimony he includes at the end of his show or be dropped by the nitwork (yeah, I spelled it correctly). Double Standard there and NOBODY calls NBC on it (well I just did).]

I am probably the "weird one", in that I actually learn (and enjoy) more from an episode of Bill Dance than B.A.S.S or FLW tourneys. IF, those tournaments would give more on-the-water information - like structure, lures, line, etc, etc, etc. I might watch it, but I totally understand competitors are NOT going to give that kind of information out DURING the tournament, or take any time away from fishing to explain something. The cut back to the studio for some "inside" information on what a competitor may be doing just doesn't do it for me, as it would to get it direct from the horse's mouth while the camera is rolling on the boat.

Bottom line is I don't enjoy or very often watch "professional" tournaments. I much prefer watching Dance, Scott Martin or the Linder brothers, and even sometimes North American Fishing, knot wars rocks! Oh, almost forgot City Limits Fishing - with Ike - I liked him in that format, Bryan "The Batchelor" Velvik cannot fill his shoes.
Old 04-20-12, 12:25 AM   #19
Tavery5

I agree with allot of what your saying, so I don't think were that far apart. I like to watch the coverage of when they are fishing, while they don't give up all the details, I still pick up little things that interest me, what type of reels, rods, cadence, area, sometimes presentation. I do agree that there is not much actual fish fighting, they generally use heavy line and like you mentioned just ski them into the boat. But every once in a while they catch one that is a big girl and have to work for it.

We might not like to admit it but fishing is a niche sport, much like billiards, bowling, and roller derby. I sure hope someone figures out a good way to market it so that it gets more and more coverage and continues to grow. Otherwise.......
Old 04-20-12, 12:35 AM   #20
tomegun
BassFishin.Com Member

No pre-fishing 3-5 days before the start of the event. Example, off limits Sunday 5pm for a Thurday opener.
tomegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 10:24 AM   #21
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I agree with allot of what your saying, so I don't think were that far apart. I like to watch the coverage of when they are fishing, while they don't give up all the details, I still pick up little things that interest me, what type of reels, rods, cadence, area, sometimes presentation. I do agree that there is not much actual fish fighting, they generally use heavy line and like you mentioned just ski them into the boat. But every once in a while they catch one that is a big girl and have to work for it.

We might not like to admit it but fishing is a niche sport, much like billiards, bowling, and roller derby. I sure hope someone figures out a good way to market it so that it gets more and more coverage and continues to grow. Otherwise.......
Everyone is going to have their preference as far as watching fishing…..that’s just a given. Me I’m with Tav…not sure why I prefer the tournament. I guess partly because I get to look at scenery and it’s just like me preferring a picture over a mount. I agree bass tournaments are a niche sport….the watching anyways and from someone who enjoys watching it 2nd only to actually doing I hope they figure something out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.