Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-12, 08:18 PM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default It's that time of year again!!! ICAST

It looks like the doors open to the annual ICAST show on Wednesday, this year it's in Orlando. As always, there will be a ton of cool, new stuff debuted. I found a website that has a pretty good list of stuff from different manufacturers.
http://www.finsntales.com/all/icast-...ckle-for-2013/

We've already talked about the new Revo's that will debut this week. Daiwa has a new Steez and a new line of mid level baitcasters called the Lexa. Quantum is expanding the EXO baitcaster to include different sizes with different line capacities. Lucky Craft and Optimum have teamed up to create a new line of soft plastics called Mad Scientist. VMC is coming out with a ton of new terminal tackle and Eco Pro is coming out with some new tungsten jigs. One of the new brands I am really excited about is called Savage Gear, they are big overseas and just now coming stateside, distributed by Okuma. They have some really cool hard and soft baits that TW will carry.

Anyway, feel free to post anything that catches your eye.
Old 07-09-12, 10:39 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm hoping to see a line of rattling crankbaits from Xcaliber. I love their crankbaits, but they are all silent.
Old 07-10-12, 12:39 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

A couple of guys I know got to go. I am green with envy!

While I am a fan of LCs, I would hate to be right on the prediction that the Mad Scientist are going to be higher than GY Senkos.
Old 07-10-12, 01:02 AM   #4
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
A couple of guys I know got to go. I am green with envy!

While I am a fan of LCs, I would hate to be right on the prediction that the Mad Scientist are going to be higher than GY Senkos.
I'm pretty confident anything Lucky Craft puts out will be higher per bait than a Senko. They do look cool though.

Check out the new St. Croix grips.

The new Steez looks awesome too but will probably cost about $8,000

Old 07-10-12, 01:22 AM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

That Steez looks strangely familiar to the Chronarch D series??? 8gs, that's pretty funny...but true.
Old 07-10-12, 07:30 AM   #6
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

LC is going to have soft plastics? Probably twenty bucks a bag...
Old 07-10-12, 10:30 AM   #7
bassboogieman

Wow, I hope the picture DOES NOT do justice to those St. Croix handles - they look too cheap even for Walmart. I'm sure if it's St. Croix it isn't cheap, but the picture sure makes them look like the only thing that's msssing is a Mickey Mouse decal.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 11:48 AM   #8
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Wow, I hope the picture DOES NOT do justice to those St. Croix handles - they look too cheap even for Walmart. I'm sure if it's St. Croix it isn't cheap, but the picture sure makes them look like the only thing that's msssing is a Mickey Mouse decal.
I know, they look terrible. I'm not sure if that's an actual photograph or a digitally created image. Hopefully they don't really look like that. Those are the Legend Extreme rods, I think, not cheap at all.
Old 07-10-12, 07:04 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

It must be a computer gen image. Super high gloss and slicker than owl snot when wet is not the way I want to go on a rod handle. Maybe it gets tacky when wet?

While I'm no particular fan of Daiwa, the Steez does look appealing.
Old 07-10-12, 07:41 PM   #10
Jrob78

Ok, found a real picture. It looks like the Rage grip material.

Old 07-11-12, 06:07 PM   #11
Jrob78

TW has ICAST videos up. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/ICAST...de=ICINTRO2012

Check out the new Havoc Sick fish, these look great, especially if they stick to the normal Havoc pricing. They will be offered in a 4" bait at first with a 3" and 5" to come later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BerkleyHavocSickFish-L.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	8060  

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-11-12 at 06:41 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 09:34 PM   #12
Bassboss

HAHAHAHAHAHA

lmao, today has not been my day. Thanks Joe.

Found the new GLX here at tackletour. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast2012gloomis.html

And Fenwick looks like it's getting back going again with the Aetos!

http://www.wired2fish.com/WhatsUp.aspx?ArticleID=6913

Tackle Tour is also adding new stuff up by the hour.
http://www.tackletour.com/

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-11-12 at 09:40 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 01:43 PM   #13
Bassboss

Not a whole lot going on this year at ICAST as far as allot of companies doing allot of things. The two that really seem to have done the most so far are Quantum, and Lew's.

Lews for starters has reintroduced the BB1. And feature as Wired2Fish puts it "...a multi-stop anti-reverse just like the old reels that enables a crankbait fisherman to feel the bait much better in his hand because of that added freedom in the anti-reverse.". Now I'm not sure exactly what that means. perhaps it gives the angler the option to turn the anti-reverse on or off, that's what I hope anyway.

The side plate seems reminiscent of the shimano Ceanan and old BB1.

At the top end Lews has revamps the Team Lew's Pro Speed Spool. And thank God, didn't like the looks of the current one much at all. This reel features all aluminum construction (frame and side plate), carbon fiber handle, EVA knobs, and 11 bearings, priced at $299 as direct competition to the new Premier.

And a stunning package it is!

Did I mention it's only 5.9 oz making it the lightest all Aluminum reel in its class?
To top things off, the reel is Ti coated for extreme durability and resistant to boat rash.

Lews has also introduced the new Lews Super Duty for swimbaits, flipping pitching. and other heavy duty application. It features extra durable aluminum frames, grass gears, braid ready spool. 5:1, 6:1 and 7:1 gear ratios, 18lbs or drag 11 bearings 12/150 line capacity, and only 8.0oz. For a product video click here.

Lew's has also made some headway on their rods which has been relativity quite since their introduction with the Team Lew's Speed Stick. The line up has 9 casting actions, 1 flipping stick, 3 crankbait rods and 6 spinning rods at $179. The rod features an 85 million modulous blank with Fuji KR Concept Micro guides, cork split grip handles, skeletal reel seats and a "multilayered multidirectional blank".

A very nice looking rod in my opinion.

a couple more things here at Wired2Fish.

Now for Quantum:

They've revamped the Energy PT and Accurist PT, and reintroduced the Catalyst PT. Yet still no word a new Tour PT.

The Energy PT features the same profile as the EXO, with a one-piece aluminum frame and gear sideplate. 11 bearings, 7:1 and 6:1 gear ratios, 17lbs of drag, 120/12 line capacity and only weights 6.9oz. It features dual cast control with ACS and Magnetic breaks.

[IMG]The real also offers a handy flipping switch similar to the old Accurist.
[/IMG]

The Catalyst PT features Aluminum frame and Gear Sideplate, 10 bearings, 6:1 and 7:1 gear ratios, and up to 17lbs or drag. It features dual cast control with ACS and Magnetic breaks.

The new Accurist PT features 7 bearing, up 17lb drag, 120/12 line capacity 6:1 and 7:1 gear ratios. It features dual cast control with ACS and Magnetic breaks. This one also features a flipping switch.

Reel looks awesome too.

More on the reels http://tackletour.com/reviewicast2012quantum.html (New EXO sizes, and Smoke inshore.)

Quantum also introduces the new Tactical Series of rods this year at ICAST. PacBay T-minima guides, ECS reel seat. Each rod is designed to a pro specification down to the handle length and number of guides.

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-13-12 at 03:24 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 03:20 PM   #14
bassinbob

Those St Croix handles look like beer tap handles to me.
Old 07-13-12, 04:04 PM   #15
Jrob78

This is an interesting new concept from Zappu. It's a ball mounted in a cork screw that fits on treble hooks. You put it on the rear of a crankbait and it's supposed to make the bait erratic and kick out on retrieves.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAGE_A274A445-2013-478A-AFA0-75C3E62D847A.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	8063  
Attached Images

Old 07-13-12, 04:21 PM   #16
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
This is an interesting new concept from Zappu. It's a ball mounted in a cork screw that fits on treble hooks. You put it on the rear of a crankbait and it's supposed to make the bait erratic and kick out on retrieves.
Hmmm I'm sure they've tested this and caught fish on it, but I've always been anal about removing even the smallest bit of debris from my hooks, especially on cranks. Erratic/kick out seems like another way to say won't run true/fouls hooks? But if they're less than 2.99 for a 3 pack I'll try some just to say that I did.
Old 07-13-12, 06:13 PM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Hmmm I'm sure they've tested this and caught fish on it, but I've always been anal about removing even the smallest bit of debris from my hooks, especially on cranks. Erratic/kick out seems like another way to say won't run true/fouls hooks? But if they're less than 2.99 for a 3 pack I'll try some just to say that I did.
Yeah, I don't know about it either. They also said it would facilitate longer casts and cause some baits to suspend. The ball is tungsten so I'm sure they aren't cheap. Still an interesting idea though.

Some of the new Strike King stuff looks pretty good too. They have a new jerkbait, a new Rage Tail grub/trailer that looks awesome and some new colors for existing baits. They have really taken over as the premier all purpose company, they offer just about everything you could possibly need bait wise, plus hooks, weights and sunglasses. KVD has made them a fortune and vice versa I'm sure.

TW has the most complete coverage by far. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/ICAST...de=ICINTRO2012

Abu is going to start selling handles and knobs seperately, you will be able to buy different size carbon fiber handles and eva knobs! I assume they will fit other brands too. It will be awesome to be able to buy 90mm, bearing supported, carbon fiber handles with eva knobs! http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/ICAST...ode=ABUREELACC

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-13-12 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 07:52 PM   #18
kennethdaysale

While looking at several of the I-Cast vids I was impressed at the poise some of these guys delivered their lines. What a great job to have. Also noticed with some amusement some total and complete hacks.
For example take a look at poor old Rick Clunn, I can't help but surmise that either his Dr. has got him on the wrong meds or maybe his Ying&yang is still out of whack. This clip for the Smoothie is worthless, an abject failure and a total waste of film. I mean what is it? Why should I buy it? How much does it weigh? How long is it? How deep does it run? Does it have rattles or not? What's it made out of? What about the hooks?
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/ICAST12.html?ccode=SMOOTHIE
Old 07-13-12, 11:46 PM   #19
Jrob78

Yeah, the anglers giving their little spiel is always something I pay attention to in those videos. You can tell some guys are naturals at it and some are pretty uncomfortable. When I think about it though, it wouldn't be an easy thing for me to do. I'm not much of a public speaker.

Here's another very unique bait from Deps out of Japan. It's a popper called the Pulscod. In the cutaway picture you can see a spring loaded weight. When you pop the bait aggressively, the weight bounces back and forth on the spring so that after the pop, while paused, it quivers and pulsates without you having to move it. It sounds like a really cool idea, it will be interesting to see how it works on the water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAGE_93050915-D797-4A49-8654-14BCC4BBA111.JPG
Views:	612
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	8067  

Last edited by Jrob78; 07-14-12 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-14-12, 09:09 AM   #20
bassboogieman

Is this guy wearing heels? Or does this woman have fugly hands?

Man, if you want to have a lure that quivers and pulsates - just hang a couple hooks on a vibrator............ Don't ask me how I thought of that one.................
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 10:49 PM   #21
keithdog

Quote:
Yeah, the anglers giving their little spiel is always something I pay attention to in those videos. You can tell some guys are naturals at it and some are pretty uncomfortable. When I think about it though, it wouldn't be an easy thing for me to do. I'm not much of a public speaker.

Here's another very unique bait from Deps out of Japan. It's a popper called the Pulscod. In the cutaway picture you can see a spring loaded weight. When you pop the bait aggressively, the weight bounces back and forth on the spring so that after the pop, while paused, it quivers and pulsates without you having to move it. It sounds like a really cool idea, it will be interesting to see how it works on the water.
Now thats the kind of inovation I like to see in a lure. And I bet it's going to cost $30 to buy.
Old 07-15-12, 12:27 PM   #22
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
I was goin to post about this too. Cool concept. I'll probably give it a try.
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-12, 12:16 AM   #23
joedog

I must be the only one who doesn't get excited about Icast.
I'm still trying to catch up with last years innovations.

Now I have to/ get to start all over.
I remember 2 years ago I saw the Amphibian and wanted it for a couple of Christmas presents for grandkids. Had to contact Shakespear directly to get two of them. They really were good customer service though and they mailed me a couple direct from factory.
And I was truely amazed how well the setups work for the kids, both openface pros now. Worming jigging and even popping.
Old 07-16-12, 06:47 PM   #24
Jrob78

Here's another interesting bait I just saw a picture of. It's made by AR Lures and is a wooden lipless crankbait with a prop on the front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	130_ARLures_LiplessCrankbait-3_0.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	8071  
Old 07-17-12, 12:11 AM   #25
Bassboss

All new stuff from Lamiglass. Joe I'm sure you'll be interested in this if they're offering the blanks too!

Infinity:

"Pro-X" (renamed Certified Pro with all new blank, components, etc.)

Glad to see they're getting back in the game, they've been quite since SKT went with W&M. Very good looking rods too.

Tackle tour article here: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast12lamiglas.html

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.