Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 11-04-12, 11:35 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Unhappy WoW, I guess this guy knew what he was talking about

03-06-2007, 02:39 PM
"Lucky Craft" and other High end...or supposed High end imported lures are setting a "Dangerous Trend in the Market Place!"

If we anglers continue to buy,purchase the High priced $$$$ Japanese lures we are going to contribute to the lifting in prices of the other HardBaits that have traditionally been "Packed Out"on our sporting goods shelves.

Pradco,Rapala,Manns'.Pure fishing,Terminator,Bill Lewis,Strike King and the rest of the average priced Cranbaits will follow in the Bottom line impact that "Lucky Craft Lures" is setting!

I,for one will take a Manns' Baby 1-Minus Elite series over a Lucky craft anyday of the week!The Japanese people generally pay more for most of their products due to their economy and pricing range overseas.

In hopes of vindicating this argument;I would rather lose an average priced USA made Lure when snagged instead of a "High Priced" Japanese immitation Cranker!

"Lucky Craft" is selling about 3,000,000 baits a year and that number continues to grow.If we contribute to their sales figures we will undoubtedly add to the increase of the prices of the Traditional Crankbaits and other lures we all have purchased in the past! Just imagine, 3,000,000 baits a year at $20 a pop.

The indication in the Retail Market place is definatley showing a pattern of ...Following the Leaders...So I implore us all as anglers to join together and continue to purchase MADE in the USA Lures and products when it comes to buying Lures.

This Bottom line impact is obvious and it is up to us,the educated consumer in the Outdoor sporting Market to set the pricing standards.Let's Ban together and Be aware,and Beware when purchasing lures!

Heddon,Bomber,Cotton Cordell,Rebel,Creek Chub,and many other American made lures will skyrocket in price if we allow the Japanese to control the priceline!

As the Senior Members here at the "Barn" have stated time and time again...It's not the Lure...It's the Skilled anglers who produce and "Catch Em Up!

Thanks,
Regards, & as always...
Tight Lines!
BarryTheBassESPN><}}}))*>

This was obviously a copy and paste but check out the date. You price a Rebel recently? Now this guy is picking on Lucky Craft but the weren't and aren't alone.

I found this researching Carolina's Pradco post.
Now I know in today's fishing world, unless your fishing crawlers on a 'stick' pole (canes an import, right?) there is no way no how you can 'stick to your guns' buying made in the USA.
Trust me I tried.

But I had to share this because I'VE felt this for a LONG time.
$1.25 for a hook. (Trokar)
$1.50 for a sinker. (Tungsten)
$18 for a spool of 125 ft. of line.

Won't even go further.
Ya thinking Trokars are NOW cheaper to make? NO, their $12 price point didn't take. And WE ALL like a SALE, even if the 'sale price' is still high......it's cheaper than it was!

I IN NO WAY AM CRITICIZING ANYONES FAVORITE BRANDS....I'M GUILTIER THEN MOST (well my monkey is)!

Last edited by joedog; 11-04-12 at 11:44 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 11:48 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

In my opinion that guy is very uninfomed and is making statements that are pretty much ingnorant. First of all none of the other baits he mentioned are made in the USA as he claims. So he is pretty much *****ing about people spending more money for a better product that is made in the same country as the products he is pushing. There is a reason why Lucky Craft is selling over 3 million baits a year, and it isn't because they are cheap. As a general rule, anglers are willing to spend a little more money for a product if it is better quality or catches them more fish. I agree that tackle is getting more and more expensive but I think this guy is way off base when he blames Lucky Craft for the higher prices. Even the baits he mentioned are better than they were years ago, and that is because we have more technology now to provide manufacturers with better materials to make better products, and all of that comes at a higher cost for the consumer (but like I said, as a general rule we are willing to pay a little extra if it is for a better product).
Old 11-04-12, 12:18 PM   #3
WTL

There are some brands of lures, such as H20, which refute his argument.

Over time, the real price of lures will decrease. The dollar price will increase however, as a matter of inflation. I think we have seen a little more inflation in the economy than is commonly acknowledged. Especially in the gas, food and fishing lure sectors.
Old 11-04-12, 12:38 PM   #4
keithdog

I think this guy fails to realize the consumer. Some folks are willing to go high dollar to get the quality they prefer, which is great. Many others simply can't or won't purchase higher end lures. And no doubt, the manufacturers know this. How many brands would vanish if everyone tried to raise their products into the hing dollar range? Quite a few I would bet. Many fisherman would say screw it, I'm just going to use what I have. Rapala has come close in recent years to the high dollar lures. I've been rather suprised by how expensive many of their baits have become. I don't know if it has effected their sales, but I'd be curious to see the figures between now and 10 years ago. There will always be buyers of Cadilacs, but most will buy Chevys. I expect the fishing market to behave likewise.
Old 11-04-12, 12:44 PM   #5
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I think this guy fails to realize the consumer. Some folks are willing to go high dollar to get the quality they prefer, which is great. Many others simply can't or won't purchase higher end lures. And no doubt, the manufacturers know this. How many brands would vanish if everyone tried to raise their products into the hing dollar range? Quite a few I would bet. Many fisherman would say screw it, I'm just going to use what I have. Rapala has come close in recent years to the high dollar lures. I've been rather suprised by how expensive many of their baits have become. I don't know if it has effected their sales, but I'd be curious to see the figures between now and 10 years ago. There will always be buyers of Cadilacs, but most will buy Chevys. I expect the fishing market to behave likewise.
Rapala is about to price me out of their corner. I will buy X-raps, and that is about it.
Old 11-04-12, 01:09 PM   #6
bassboogieman

I'm surprised the OP didn't blame Ford & Chevy price increases on Honda & Toyota.

I think the driver on the price is more indicative of the quality of the lure rather than other companies simply increasing their prices without improving their lures. And the original "rant" didn't mention the quality of those "high priced" Lucky Craft vs the others as a "possible" reason for the higher cost. Brands that would just jack up their price without changing some quality component of their product would only loose sales as the price gap closes without a similiar closing of the gap between quality. The biggest difference I see in current lures vs. the older ones (and L/C & most others) are the HOOKS and FINISH and justify a higher cost. That said I think we all owe a "thank you" to L/C and other brands for raising the bar (as well as the price) on the lures available to us today.

As far as Rapala, never been a fan - right up there with Loomis and Shimano, maybe that makes me an "Honorary Rebel"?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 02:26 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

As far as Rapala I've always been a huge fan. Around here they've started pricing the Original Floating minnows $1. to 1.5 higher than Shad Raps...odd.

***edit*** IMHO people who don't like Rapalas are the people who haven't thrown them more than twice and people who say they're not Shimano fans are just covering for the fact that they're too lazy to open the side plate and can't ever remember if pushing the tabs in or out will give the desired results. This is of course notwithstanding any of the above posters well thought out and self explanatory positions
Old 11-04-12, 02:27 PM   #8
joedog

Just a thought.
Companies like Pure Fishing and Pradco who own so many crank bait companies....may just manipulate the price points of some cranks. How many times do you buy a bait at a shop, fall in love with it but only latter to find them hard to find, maybe even impossible. You then try a half a dozen 'similar' cranks to see if they'll work. If your like me, you may even buy two of each.
You then go to another shop and their 'blowing them out'. (you buy everyone they have left in stock) Is there some needed space needed. I don't think so. Are the baits financed, maybe, but not too often. Why then, just maybe a manufacturers decision and rebates aren't just offered to the public you know.

Ever wonder why cars very shortly after new model year they offer a rebate or special financing. It's because they are searching for the right price point. Notice rebates changing. Searching for perfect price point. It isn't cause they made to many, year end sales usually don't include rebates they just cut the price. They know the price point.
Rarely in todays marketing does any discounting result in litteral loss. Loss of profit margin but RARELY actual sale at less than cost to manufacture.
I'll again use Trokar as example. Ya think Eagle Claw hasn't sold hooks before Trokar. And is there a reason Eagle Claw doesn't market them under the 'Eagle Claw' name. They developed it from it's inception is my understanding. Are they good hooks, YES. Are they worth a buck and a quarter per hook, you decide. BUT the consumer DECIDED $12.00 per pack was TOO much. They have now found THEIR price point. Cost didn't somehow miraculously go DOWN. Eagle Claw still makes hooks and they MAKE Trokars.
Just some thoughts.
Bottom line just like any addict, I'll pay what ever the cost supply and demand dictates for my fix at the time I need the fix.
Wake up and Bang Up has been away of life for me for some time.

Everyone have a GREAT day and I don't agree with the original 'gommer' either but I thought it may make for some good discussion.

Last edited by joedog; 11-04-12 at 04:16 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 03:54 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

In order for a bait, hook, or whatever to be priced much higher than its counterparts and still find its way into customers shopping carts time after time, it has to have something that sets it apart from the rest. Take a look at Senkos. This is probably the most copied and immitated bait in the world. Every fishing site I have been on has several threads asking whether the Yum Dinger, or Strike King Ocho, or Bass Pro Stick-O is better bang for the buck than Senkos. The reason is because the Senko has set the standard in stick baits. All other brands are doing their dead level best to come up with a bait that will have the success that the Senko has. While I won't get into the argument, at least not in this thread that is why the Senko is priced higher than its competition but yet is selling better. They have a fall rate that is unmatched and an action that no other stick bait can compete with. Will the other baits catch fish? Of course. As many fish? That's the part that is open to discussion, but the bottom line is the other baits are not as successful as the Senko on the water because if they were they would be more successful than the Senko on the shelf as well.

Look at the Megabass Vision jerkbaits. Hell it kinda surprises me that the guy didn't bash Megabass in his rant because they are higher priced that Lucky Crafts. The Vision has a known problem with the bills breaking on them. The idea that a $25 bait can have so many problems with bills breaking on them is insane. And if there was another bait out there that could produce the same results as the Vision, Megabass would have no choice but to take more drastic actions to fix the problem. But as it is, there isn't another jerkbait out there that can provide the same action/results as the Vision so people just keep buying them and complaining when the bills break........and then buy more of them. In neither case of the Senko or Vision is the quality of the bait superior to its competition but the results from using them are, so they are selling them like crazy and at high prices. The Smithwick Rogue is a great jerkbait, but if it had the same problems as the Vision they would sell much fewer of them because at that price an angler has many more options and most of them will give the same results as the next one. But the case is different with the Vision because it is the jerkbait that most jerkbaits are measured against so it's worth a little more money to most guys. Luck E Strike has the Rick Clunn jerkbait that looks almost identical to the Vision, but the first reports I heard about it were complaints about the junk hardware that came on the bait. That is a complaint I have never heard with the Vision so more money for the Vision equals not having to spend more money to replace the hardware. Bottom line for me, is if a bait is either better quality with good quality components it is going to be a good seller even at a higher price point. If a bait outfishes the competition because of its action, it can even have quality issues and still be successful at a higher price point. That's probably why so many people still buy the Reaction Innovations beavers, every soft plastic company out there makes a version of this bait now, and all of them will catch fish. But they are all compared to the Reaction Innovations baits for a reason.

I am all for buying American when you can. But sadly you really don't have many choices in fishing when it comes to that because even the brands that are American owned are still made overseas.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.