Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-05, 07:45 AM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Lake Erie BFL Buckeye

Well let's get it out of the way first and foremost I caught 0, and my boater caught 0

Weather was overcast when we started with pop-up thunderstorms expected , after lots of days with clear weather. I was driving there friday(5 hour drive), and the wind was blowing my Blazer around, and was sure hoping we wouldn't have that. Anywa the thunderstroms came in about 11am, and to that point my boater had caught 4 sheepheads, and lost a nice smallie about 3lbs when it jumped. I had hooked a fish, and got it halfway to the boat before I lost it. We ran into so shallows when the storm hit, and then went back out after it blew over. We fished water anywhere from 10' feet to 28' Dragging tubes, jig, gobie plastics, lizards. I used cranks, and spinnerbaits some, and used drop-shot, t-rig, mojo-rig, and c-rig. Partner used a jerk bait also. I was extremely dissapointed to say the least. We were in some nasty weather there for awhile, and got into some 4'-5' waves, that were not good on the back(ouch). My boater admitted from the beginning he didn't like Lake Erie or this type of fishing. We just didn't either fish the proper baits/techeniques or didn't find any active fish at all. There were a lot of fish brought in, the winning weight was in the 23lbs+ for the boater, and co-angler was 22lbs+ 61% of the co-anglers caught fish. I just didn't happen to be there catching them. I hopefully will change that the next tourney, still looking for my first smallie. Anyways as I was looking at the board, I noticed that the big bags, also had big bags for there partners for the most part. Meaning that both guys were catching some hawgs, so they were at the right spots. 2 boats brought in close to 40lbs between the boater, and co-angler That is where I hope to be next tourney. Still looking for any advice or tips, or maybe a good spot to catch some

Lizards
Old 08-21-05, 08:08 AM   #2
Fishie
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Liz,
Did you do any prefishing. It seems to me this is why you have been struggling. It seems like you are throwing the whole box in every tournament. Like when I watch the pro's on tv it seems that most of them are only using one to three different rigs or type of baits. It looks like you where using everything. I guess I would too if i couldn't get any bites on anything but you guys are right, I don't think you guys got on any fish at all because if everyone was catching them they must not have been real hard to catch once you found them. One tip I heard was to see how much weight it has been taking to win a event and what the other anglers are catching. Sometimes it is good to have a couple of friends you can trust that can at least tell you if the fish are active once you get around them. Tim Horton said that he first figures out if the fish will hit certain baits. Then he starts to look for similar areas. Lastly he becomes intimate with his spots during practice. Lizards keep your head up! You will get onto them. Don't look back on this event or the one at Ohio river you must drop allof it and shake it off. Consentrate on your next event. When is it and what lake is it on. I would start researching now. Call some tackle stores in the area and talk to them about the fishery. KVD said he does this all the time. I would also talk to some guides on the lakes and see what they have to say.
Old 08-21-05, 09:41 AM   #3
lizardsrule

Well it's a 5 hour drive for me, and I don't have a big enough boat to fish Erie. So no I didn't prefish. I'm at the mercy of the boater. Their boat, their spots, their fishing techniques. I did learn a few things, but I still didn't catch any fish. I am not going to let this keep me from fishing tourneys, I'm just learning new stuff, and techniques, so when I get my boat, I will be catching fish consistantly. Unfortunately I can't prefish hardly any of these places. When I do, I have still had to reply on others and their boats. Not saying I'm the greatest by any means, but when fishing from my boat, with my preferences, it would be very unlikely I get skunked like I have been. I've also learned real quick, that just becasuse you own a boat, and can cast a reel, doesn't mean you know how to catch Bass. As for the tackle box, well if I'm not catching any, and the boater isn't catching any, then I'm gonna try stuff till I find something that works. I have done well by using something other than the exact same thing the boater is using, but I'll change asap if he's boating the fish. Unfortunately I've been in more tourneys with the boater, and or myself catching 0 than I have with us catching fish. That tells me a lot right there, on where and how we have been fishing.

Lizards
Old 08-21-05, 09:48 AM   #4
Fishie

It seems like you are getting bad drawls for these tournies too. yeah its more about skill than equiptment like you said. I have fished with a few guides and I hate to say this but I have had them take me out and I am the one who ends up figuring out how to catch the fish on my own not doing anything they told me to do. Its sad really.
If you can't prefish good luck. It is hard no matter who you are to do good on a lake you can't get a feel for. Are you guys doing a lot of running during the events or are you guys hunkering down? I think it might be best to fish small areas that have a lot of options in situations like this where you can't prefish and the boaters you are getting obviously suck and they are not helping you much at all.
Old 08-21-05, 10:03 AM   #5
pig n jig

Lizards, If you drew a partner that put you on fish you would have limited out as other people did.You have had your share of bad partners the odds are in your favor to draw a good partner next time. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 10:49 AM   #6
JB

Lizards ,

technically, you are allowed 4 hours at the front of the boat, to call the shots and where to fish, are you not?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 11:21 AM   #7
lizardsrule

Here's the BFL rules. I get asked about them a lot. I DO NOT have any control over the boat at all. See BOLD print below. I am a NON-BOATER.

2005 Wal-Mart BFL rules

1. Rule changes

* These rules will remain unchanged during the year 2005. Interpretation of these rules will be left exclusively to FLW Outdoors. Decisions of the tournament director are final in all matters and are not subject to appeal. Protests must be made in writing within 30 minutes of the official check-in time of the final flight of each tournament day.

2. Participation

* Participation is open only to tournament members of FLW Outdoors who are 16 years of age or older. Any person entering a tournament under the age of majority must also have the signature of their parent or legal guardian in the provided space on the entry form. All contestants must have in their possession a valid fishing license. Entries for the 2005 season will be accepted by division starting:
* January 11, 2005: Bulldog, Dixie, Everglades, Louisiana, Savannah River, Seminole, South Carolina
* January 12, 2005: Bama, Choo Choo, Cowboy, Gator, Mississippi, Music City, Okie
* January 13, 2005: Arkie, Empire, LBL, Mountain, Ozark, Piedmont, Shenandoah
* January 14, 2005: Buckeye, Great Lakes, Hoosier, Illini, Michigan, North Carolina, Northeast

The above schedule can be found via the internet at FLWOutdoors.com.
* A boater whose entry is received in-house at FLW Outdoors by the priority entry deadline and provides a co-angler with their membership number (whose entry is received in-house at FLW Outdoors by the priority entry deadline) will receive entry priority and, if accepted into the tournament, will be drawn with a co-angler. A co-angler whose entry is received in-house at FLW Outdoors by the priority entry deadline and provides a boater with their membership number (whose entry is received in-house at FLW Outdoors by the priority entry deadline) will receive entry priority. All others will be taken in order of entry (first-come, first-served). Guaranteed status is given at the time both the boater and the co-angler are entered in the event and have listed each other's names and membership numbers.
* Each tournament will have a total field of 400 contestants (unless state law mandates a smaller number of contestants). Entries received after the field has filled will be placed on a waiting list. Those placed on the waiting list and not accepted into the tournament will have their entry returned and will maintain Wild Card eligibility.
* A completed entry form and the entry fee must be postmarked no later than the published entry deadline for each tournament. Late entries will be accepted except for tournaments with a full field. Late entries must be accompanied by a $25 nonrefundable service charge and submitted no later than 7 p.m. local time (time at the tournament site) the day before the tournament. Entry fees may be transferred or refunded provided FLW Outdoors is notified by 5 p.m. Central time Tuesday, prior to Saturday's tournament (FLW Outdoors business hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Central time); entry fees will not be transferred or refunded after Tuesday. There will be a $10 service charge for each refund of an entry fee.

Wild Card eligibility
Contestants who pay an entry fee, prior to the tournament, in all five tournaments in a division and do not qualify for regional competition in any division will automatically qualify for the Wild Card Regional Tournament. Entry fees cannot be transferred or refunded to maintain eligibility (except for those on a waiting list).

Point standings
200 points will be awarded to the winner of each qualifying tournament, 199 for 2nd, 198 for 3rd, etc. 300 points will be awarded to the winner of each super tournament, 299 for 2nd, 298 for 3rd, etc. All anglers who receive weight credit will receive points. The boater year-end division point champion will receive $1,000. The co-angler year-end division point champion will receive $500. The top 40 boaters and co-anglers from the year-end point standings from each division (ties resolved by total weight) will be invited to a Regional Championship and will receive priority entry status in their respective class for the 2006 EverStart Series. If anyone in the top 40 is unable to attend a Regional Championship, the next person in the point standings may be invited.

3. Pretournament practice

* There will be no official practice period or off-limits period prior to the pretournament meeting for all qualifying tournaments. No contestant may be on tournament waters for the purpose of locating bass or potential fishing waters after the start of the pretournament meeting except during tournament hours. The purchasing of information or the hiring of services will not be permitted after the entry deadline for each qualifying tournament.

4. Registration and pre-tournament meeting

* Each contestant must register in person at the designated site during the official registration hours, 4-7 p.m. local time the day before the tournament or call FLW Outdoors between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central time the day before the tournament. Contestants registering between 7-7:15 p.m. will pay a $25 late fee that will be donated to the FishAmerica Foundation. Contestants more than 15 minutes late for registration will forfeit their entry fee and will not be entered in the tournament. It is mandatory that all contestants attend the pretournament meeting that will be held at 7:30 p.m. local time the day before the tournament. Being late for the pretournament meeting will result in a $25 late fee that will be donated to the FishAmerica Foundation. Contestants not present for partner pairings will forfeit their entry fee and will not be entered in the tournament.

Gold Membership
Gold Members who cannot attend the pretournament meeting will be allowed to send someone who is 16 years of age or older to represent them at registration. Noncontestants can represent one person; contestants can represent themselves and one other person. This representative must attend the pretournament meeting to record flights, takeoff time, check-in time, off-limits areas, size and creel limits, etc. This representative must also attend the partner draw immediately following the pretournament meeting to receive the Gold Member's boat number, meet their partner, record their partner's lodging information, phone number, and exact location for the Gold Member to meet their partner prior to takeoff.

5. Pairings

* Partners will be paired by draw. All contestants or their representatives (allowed for Gold Members) must meet with their assigned partners during pairings at the pretournament meeting. Partners should advise each other of their respective lodging and phone numbers, and establish a meeting time and place for the following morning's takeoff. The tournament director, at his sole discretion, may reassign partners prior to the morning takeoff. If more boaters than co-anglers are entered in the tournament, excess boaters will be paired together. If the number of co-anglers exceeds the number of boaters, excess co-anglers may choose to change to boater status or have their entry transferred or refunded with no service charge and still maintain Wild Card eligibility. The selection of anglers in these situations will be determined by date and time of entry beginning with those anglers who entered the tournament individually.

6. Safety

* Safe boating must be observed at all times. Each contestant is required to wear a fastened, U.S. Coast Guard approved, personal flotation device anytime the combustion engine is in operation from boat check until weigh-in. All boats must be equipped with an emergency ignition shut-off device that must be securely attached to the driver's body whenever the combustion engine is in operation. At the discretion of the tournament director tournament days may be shortened, postponed or canceled due to unsafe weather or water conditions.

7. Sportsmanship

* All contestants are required to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy and conservation and to conduct themselves in a manner that will be a credit to themselves, to FLW Outdoors, FLW Outdoors' sponsors, the sport of fishing and FLW Outdoors' efforts to promote the sport. Examples of conduct not complying with those standards include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Violation of, or failure to comply with, any of the official rules for the 2005 Wal-Mart Bass Fishing League.
* Consumption and/or possession of alcoholic beverages or any kind of mind-altering substance during registration, the pretournament meeting or during tournament hours extending through the weigh-in procedure.
* Abuse of, or addiction to, mind-altering substances.
* Conviction of a felony within the past 36 months.
* Suspension/disqualification from any tournament or fishing organization.
* Any other words, conduct or actions reflecting unfavorably upon efforts to promote safety, sportsmanship, fair competition and compliance with tournament rules, or which fail to comply with the standards set forth in the first sentence of paragraph 7.
* In case of any conduct not complying with the standards, FLW Outdoors shall have the right to refuse any application, or to deny a confirmed application, by returning the entry fee of a previously accepted application, or to disqualify a contestant.

8. Boat operation

* Boaters will fish from the front deck of the boat only. Co-anglers will fish from the back deck of the boat only. Boaters will have complete control of boat operation and waters to be fished. Any boater that, in the judgment of the tournament director, operates the boat in a manner that unfairly handicaps their co-angler partner will be disqualified for that day. In multiday tournaments, co-anglers who share their boater partner's fishing locations with other competitors will be disqualified along with the person utilizing this information.
* Boaters paired with other boaters are entitled to equal time in the front of the boat to operate the trolling motor, and an equal number of hours to fish their selected waters (number of hours includes travel time to fishing locations).

* During tournament hours contestants may not obtain or receive assistance from noncompetitors, follow a noncompetitor's boat or participate in the practice of "hole sitting" or the placing of markers by anyone.
* The use of mobile communication devices, including, but not limited to, cellular phones, marine radios, walkie-talkies, CBs, etc., during tournament hours is strictly prohibited except in an emergency (severe weather, etc.) or to communicate with lockmasters.
* Contestants are expected to compete every day for which they are qualified; failure to do so may result in ineligibility to compete in future FLW Outdoors events.

9. Boat and horsepower regulations

* All boats must be a minimum of 17 feet in length and have a rear deck.
* All boats must be equipped with wheel steering; no other steering device will be permitted. No barges or similar cumbersome crafts will be permitted.
* Each boat must have all required U.S. Coast Guard safety equipment.
* Boats must contain a properly aerated livewell space to maintain alive a limit catch of bass by both contestants.
* Maximum horsepower for all outboards used in tournament competition will be 250 horsepower, not to exceed the horsepower capacity set forth on the "Maximum Capacities" placard described below.
* Each boat must have a clearly legible "Maximum Capacities" (or comparably titled) placard that includes a maximum horsepower rating affixed to the boat by the manufacturer.
* The horsepower of the outboard engine must not exceed the maximum horsepower capacity specified on this placard or the 250 horsepower maximum set by FLW Outdoors.
* By signing the entry form, each contestant agrees to submit their boat and/or motor to an inspection by FLW Outdoors personnel. Falsifying information on entry forms or altering the horsepower numbers on the motor or rating placard will be cause for disqualification from the tournament and may result in ineligibility to compete in future FLW Outdoors events.
* Fuel may be carried only in factory-installed (built-in) fuel tanks. Any additional fuel used during the tournament day must be purchased from a retail facility open to the public.

10. Permitted fishing methods

* All bass must be caught alive in a conventional sporting manner.
* Only artificial lures may be used, with the exception of pork trailers.
* Only one fishing rod may be used at a time.
* Trolling as a method of fishing is prohibited.

Had to knock some of the rules off, due to space.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.