Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-01-06, 04:10 PM   #1
CompleteSteel
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need help on my first GPS Purchase

I am planning to buy my first GPS. I have been comparison shopping for a while and found a few sites that seem to be doing a good job with pricing and customer service. I am still confused and undecided as to what to buy with all the various options. The folks at getfeetwet.com (quite helpful) have suggested the Lowrance H20 or thier 3010c Bundle. I also saw that they had a factory refurbished Garmin 2006 and GMR unit for half the price. Any thoughts on these units? I like the price of the 2006 factory refurbished but I am not sure what I am giving up? Garmin gives 1 yr warranty on the refurb and looks like getfeetwet adds a 2nd yr to that. I was assured that they are as good as new. Has anybody purchased a Garmin Refurb?
CompleteSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 06:44 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use the garmin legend e-trek hand held. i would NOT buy a refurbished gps.think about what you are going to use to for. make sure what ever one you get ya buy the extra area mapping system.-i am using US recreational lakes with fishing hot spots east v5 maps- this allows you to down load maps onto the gps. also it alows you to save fishing tracks and other -way points info-stuff on to an easy to use cd-r..

zooker
Old 06-01-06, 09:10 PM   #3
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

DONT go with Lowrance, lots of electrical problems. Had one installed on our boat and didn't like it especially being 30 to 40 miles offshore.

Talk to these people, http://www.bethel-marine.com, Great bunch of people!!

Also I second all Garmin products, we use the legend e-trek as our back up in case our other one goes out or if we have to ditch the boat!!!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 01:50 PM   #4
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I bought a lowrance H2Oc last week. I have had it out one time and loved it! I did get the chip that has the lake maps. So far, it is easy to use. I am still learning. I can't comment on 30-40 miles off shore, but for our little lakes it works great! I really enjoy the topo maps and being able to mark potential waypoints while at home.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 06:38 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

Just this past christmas I jumped on the GPS bandwagon and gathered as much info as possible before laying down the green for the gps. The Garmin ETEX legend is by far one of the easiest to learn to use, does a VERY good job of marking etc..etc.. The program ZOOK mentioned is a must have option. For the price I promise you you will not go wrong with the Legend.
Old 06-06-06, 10:21 AM   #6
angelus40
BassFishin.Com Active Member

if you live near BPS go in and talk to the guys and get their opnion
if not dicks or wal-mart i agree don't get a refurb
angelus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-06, 03:19 PM   #7
bassnman30

I wouldn't recommend a Hmminbird 595c. Have one and it's gone back to the shop 3 times for various problems.
This last time they sent me a letter stating "no problems noted", as well as a form letter stating the correct things that I could do to solve any of the problem areas that I noted.
.This thing goes "hay wire" at appx. 35 mph. The depth also varies, i.e. 40 ft you might show 0.1. When in 45 ft. you might show 657 ft.etc...
The GPS works fine just not worth the amount that it cost. I may go and "play " with it to see if I can find something that I've done wrong.
Transducer is in the hule, so thats not the problem. I've also got a Garmin Legend like Zookers, and it works fine. Just a little small when going 60 mph.
Old 06-15-06, 04:51 PM   #8
CompleteSteel
BassFishin.Com Member

whew, seems like garmin has been dominating the marker. Their competitors just suck basically. and thier tech support is just amazing.
Since getfeetwet.com offers a 2nd year warranty for free on all thier units. I think i am going to go with that. some places are cheaper on shipping and such, but i like the idea that i have a piece of mind for the next 2 years on this unit.
CompleteSteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.