Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-06, 08:16 AM   #1
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Better Bring some buck for this baby

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...-_-9%2015%2006

Looks nice but more than half a grand is crazy!
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 10:35 AM   #2
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

you dont need that reel,you can catch just as many fish with an $80 reel as with that one. plus,you could get about 7 $80 reels for the price of that one calais.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 10:40 AM   #3
Vabass22

If they were giving them away, or selling them for 100$, I would take one...
THats about the only way I'll ever get one!!!!!
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 10:41 AM   #4
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

im with skeeter, why get that one when you can get a very good reel for under 100 bucks?
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 12:47 PM   #5
pig n jig

You guys would be getting a Shimano.$650.00 is not alot for the Shimano buyers, they have been getting ripped off every time they bought a Shimano. Shimano have always been overpriced for their products, but people bought them regardless of the price.They probably figured what the heLL, they will buy it, they bought all of the other reels we overcharged. Why nickle and dime them when you can dollar them to death ?Lizards, how many you buying ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-06, 05:29 PM   #6
PowerBass

Shimano is not so good.
Old 09-24-06, 05:33 PM   #7
texasbasser

thats a nice baitcaster, but check this baby out!! a van staal, every saltwater fishermans dream. well, at least mine. these go 600 bucks+
Attached Images

Old 09-24-06, 09:40 PM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Lizards, how many you buying ? P N J
Well none actually rotflmao I pitch more than anything, and I prefer the, Yeah you guessed it, the Castaic for that I have three of those now. I did have four of the Calais's, which I sold all of them for just about what I paid for them though . I found that a $400 dollar reel just didn't make me a better fisherman, but they sure were pretty LOL. I did not have the antibacklashing models however, that would probably be one I would have kept Because no matter how much I fish, or how good I think I am, I still backlash, especially when hitting that tree branch or dock piling rotflmao I believe a good quality reel will suffice anyone who takes care of it. I don't think a $30-$50 baitcaster is a good quality reel however. That doesn't mean those folks can't outfish me too, just means they will wear out their's before I wear out mine

Lizards
Old 09-25-06, 07:34 AM   #9
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

we todd ed
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 01:00 PM   #10
adamgambill

Im with the liz, Shimano may be pricey but I use mine for years and years before they wear out. The old school curado is a fav, mainly because its a crossover. Ive landed 9lb bass and 20lb reds and drum wade fishing and never had a problem. Will I shuck out 650-probably not but If I had it to burn-in a minute.
Old 09-27-06, 02:44 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

Here we go . . . I have been a member long enough to know that we are now opening the "Shimano vs. the world" can of worms . . .

By the way, I like Shimanos . . . .
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 06:07 PM   #12
pig n jig

Shimano= the feeling I had been taken advantage of when purchasing their products.
Purchasing a Shimano product is like getting a strip search from a good looking female police officer. At first , your happy about it. She makes your head spin with anxious thoughts. Then reality sets in. Your left all alone, feeling naked and violated. Feeling embarrassed, wondering how you could be so stupid .Nobody mentioned the word cavity search, but you finally realized it may have happened as little fragments reveal the truth to you long after all transactions were finalized. P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 09-27-06 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-27-06, 06:52 PM   #13
texasbasser

i personally like shimanos, but right now i have a quantum
Old 09-29-06, 03:36 PM   #14
adamgambill

Quote:
Shimano= the feeling I had been taken advantage of when purchasing their products.
Purchasing a Shimano product is like getting a strip search from a good looking female police officer. At first , your happy about it. She makes your head spin with anxious thoughts. Then reality sets in. Your left all alone, feeling naked and violated. Feeling embarrassed, wondering how you could be so stupid .Nobody mentioned the word cavity search, but you finally realized it may have happened as little fragments reveal the truth to you long after all transactions were finalized. P N J
Man you are dark and twisted. They are the only reels Ive found that I cant break. I like the other stuff too. They are just d@mn durable. Id love to have a viento or a fuego but Ive heard the mag is extemly sensitive and I live on the coast. The viento would be good if I had cleared out bottoms to fish-too much hydrilla and such. My curado, slade and chronarch have been good to me, I just cant see buying another brand.
Old 09-29-06, 03:52 PM   #15
pig n jig

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older used Shimano reel.The old curados were a very durable , reliable reel.I liked the Chronarchs, but they had something going on with their frames.I clean reels as a hobby, I have seen many chronarchs with corrosion on the frame, but these reels were never near salt water ? other than the looks of corroded metal,the reel still functioned properly. P N J
Old 09-29-06, 06:36 PM   #16
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older used Shimano reel.The old curados were a very durable , reliable reel.I liked the Chronarchs, but they had something going on with their frames.I clean reels as a hobby, I have seen many chronarchs with corrosion on the frame, but these reels were never near salt water ? other than the looks of corroded metal,the reel still functioned properly. P N J

Lizards
Old 09-29-06, 11:43 PM   #17
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

My fiance's dad is going to sell me a couple of Shimano Corsair 300's on Falcon Medium rods for a real cheap price. I've used them a couple times, and they cast really nice, and flip awesome.
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.