Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-08, 01:04 PM   #1
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Floating Piers/Docks

Does anyone have any experience with a floating pier or dock? I have some property with a forty acre lake and would like to build a floating dock for getting in and out of the boat and maybe fishing off of, too. I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like to have a nice stable platform.

Anyone?

Thanks, Buddy
buddy_fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 01:13 PM   #2
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy_fuentes View Post
Does anyone have any experience with a floating pier or dock? I have some property with a forty acre lake and would like to build a floating dock for getting in and out of the boat and maybe fishing off of, too. I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like to have a nice stable platform.

Anyone?

Thanks, Buddy
http://www.pierofdnort.com/
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 06:52 PM   #3
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

CarpMAn, that looks pretty good. Do you have one?

I'm not sure of the depth at the end, but it is probably pretty deep. This lake was formed from a gravel pit. In 1978 they quit digging and it was stocked with Florida Bass. A 9.1 pound largemouth and a 4 Pound Crappie (Sac-a-lait) have been caught by the former owner's caretaker. I have not fished the lake yet, other than a few cast from the bank, but will put a small boat in soon. Anyway, I suspect that the depth would be in the twenty to thirty foot range. That could be a problem with a pier that doesn't float and stands on legs.

Thanks, Buddy
Old 08-17-08, 08:11 PM   #4
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a 16 acre pond with a 32ft pier made of cedar pilings and treated 2X8’s. They are very easy to build if you have the time. We pressure washed our pilings down using a jon boat and a heavy duty water pump and lots of galvanized nuts and bolts.. We have a smaller platform floating pier made of 55 gallon drums, which are easy to replace if need be, they last along time and are not expensive to build. There’s lots of ways you can build your own.. Good luck. Carpy
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 10:03 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i tried to find the "floating pier" info i have SOMEWHERE. if i find it i'll let you know. it is expensive though. guess that is why i can't find it, lol. probably threw it away. but i'll keep looking. if you are wanting to just make a floating platform out in the middle of your pond, may i suggest a few 55 gal barrles and make a deck, anchor it down with concrete blocks. seen alot of those around here. it would work for a boat pier as well. jsut my 2 cents worth.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 09:53 AM   #6
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i tried to find the "floating pier" info i have SOMEWHERE. if i find it i'll let you know. it is expensive though. guess that is why i can't find it, lol. probably threw it away. but i'll keep looking. if you are wanting to just make a floating platform out in the middle of your pond, may i suggest a few 55 gal barrles and make a deck, anchor it down with concrete blocks. seen alot of those around here. it would work for a boat pier as well. jsut my 2 cents worth.

Just get a very long rope and tie it to the bank somewhere. You can then use a trolling motor to move the floating dock around. When you are done, you can use the rope to pull yourself back to the bank.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 02:35 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

with mine i went out 12 feet with legs than put a 20 foot ramp in to a 20x20 floating dock..

the wood was the cheapest part the floater pods cost out the but. i built it my self both me and my bro built docks for a livin before..

remember this SCREW every thing down nails will just pull out..

zooker
Old 08-18-08, 02:44 PM   #8
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
remember this SCREW every thing down nails will just pull out..

zooker
I can vouch for that. I have stepped on, tripped over, or cut my foot on many of nails that had been lifted out about 1 inch or so from the wood.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-08, 10:41 AM   #9
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

I live on a river and have seen the results of the nails pulling loose from the sun drying out the boards on the dock. However, I really want a floating dock at my new property. The lake fluctuates as much as 4' and I would like to use it at all times. The foam filled plastic blocks appeal to me more than anything else. They look easy to configure and re-configure if needed.

Thanks, Buddy

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.