Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-08, 05:28 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Exclamation What to choose...

After getting the new, 2008 Cabela's Spring Master Catalog(375 pgs.), I started looking at reels and am now highly confused. I want the Shimano Curado, I know this much, but I don't know if I want the 100, or 200 series. The 100 series, specifically the CU101D, the left-handed model, holds 85 yds of 12LB, but I want equal to 10LB braid, so no deal here. It has a 6.2:1 GR, and weighs 7.4 Ounces, with 4+1 bearing for $199.99. The next reel I'm looking at is the CU201DHSV, once agian, the left-handed model, holds 155 yds. of 10LB, and I will put 10LB equal braid, again, no deals. It weighs 9.8 Ounces, has 5+1 bearings, and is also $199.99. The second reel has 12LB of drag; the first, 10LB. So, my problem...

Should I buy the first one and sacrifice GR for weight and line capacity, or should I buy the second one, sacrifice weight and get more bearings and speed(7.0:1)? This is a frog rod, what do you think? Fast reel/heavy reel or slower reel/lighter reel?

-Lunk-
Old 01-05-08, 09:11 PM   #2
Marty

I'm hardly an expert, but I'd get the lower gear ratio for a frog rod. The reason I say that is that with frogs you're often fighting the fish through heavy vegetation and a lower gear ratio has more cranking power.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 09:27 PM   #3
pig n jig

If you read,the CU100's does not have the HEG system.In my opinion, you want the HEG system, it is worth the extra weight.I have seen them advertised for $149.99, but I cannot remember where.I think it applies everywhere they honor the rebate.Otherwise, you have to copy the rebate off the internet and send it in, if I remember correctly ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 09:45 PM   #4
lunker-lander

OK, two different answers, and I like the theories behind both. Is the weight really worth the speed? Is cranking power worth th weight?

-Lunk-
Old 01-05-08, 09:48 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

LL, I'd go with the lower speed for froggin.

I better go and order that catalog

BB
Old 01-05-08, 10:28 PM   #6
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Go with a Revo, Shimano sucks.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 11:52 PM   #7
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Traded my Revo SX for an old green Curado. Hated it.
Lower gear ratio might be better for a frog rod, if you want stop by my shop and check them out let me know. I've got Shimanos in 50, 100, and 200. I like them all, but the smaller the better for me. I never even thought of line capacity since I never cast that far, 100 yards is a awful long way!
I'm not sure I would get a new Curado; it is either a Chronarch or a Citica for me.
Edited for spelling.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 12:33 AM   #8
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
I traded my Revo for a Shimano Calcutta. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 12:34 AM   #9
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Thank You Bender!
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 02:57 AM   #10
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
If you read,the CU100's does not have the HEG system.In my opinion, you want the HEG system, it is worth the extra weight.I have seen them advertised for $149.99, but I cannot remember where.I think it applies everywhere they honor the rebate.Otherwise, you have to copy the rebate off the internet and send it in, if I remember correctly ? P N J
I agree. I believe it was delos. There 149 price takes the rebate into account if I am not mistaken.

LL,

If you have small hands the 101 might be better. I do not think that there is enough of a difference between the line recovery of the lower and higher geared curados. I would choose the 201 given your scenario. Not for its line capacity but for the HE gearing. I have a 201 and I have used it with mid and deep diving cranks and it does not struggle, even though it is a 7:1 reel. It made me realize that the HE gearing does make a difference.

At first I was concerned about the reel's weight until I fished with it. I can tell you this... Unless one is a weight weenie, the weight of reel was not an issue at all. It will probably better balance a tip heavy rod anyway.

Small hands - 101
Other - 201

Line cap is not an issue for your intended scenario. I'd even spool the first 50% of the reel with mono and use braid on top. You would keep your spool much closer to optimum capacity (and therefore keep casting excellent).

I have small hands but I do not have a problem wielding my 201D.

As much as I love my Shimano reels, I am not loyal to any one company. I would not object to having a Revo in my stable. If they're half as decent as a Curado (the STX and I bet they're great reels) then I'd win anyway.
Old 01-06-08, 11:08 PM   #11
lunker-lander

Oh Boy, I think I've changed my mind again. This time I was looking at the Chronarch MG. Bender had one, and boy it was light. It may be a little pricey, but it's definitely worth the weight; plus, it has all the features I want.

>A medium, 6.2:1 GR
>4+1 bearings
>Holds a moderate, 85 YDS. of 12LB line; I will be using 40LB(10) Sufix Braid
>Comes in Left-Hand Model
>Within my price range

What do you Guys think about this?

-Lunk-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.