Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-06, 08:39 PM   #26
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yes some one told me that trick while i was learnig who to use a bait caster and it helps

a nother of my great combos is a bps mega cast reel and a 66 quantum retroflex rod with 40 lb power pro for flippen and pitchin
Old 03-16-06, 08:40 PM   #27
bass kicker

i posted that on the wrong thread
Old 03-16-06, 11:02 PM   #28
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman
I heard somewhere a tip about taking a heavy lure, winging out your best cast, and then pulling off another 20 yds. of line, then putting a piece of tape across the spool. Anyone heard about this? Supposedly it prevents backlashes from cutting too deep.
Yes it does work I haven't used that method for awhile, really don't know why though, I still get backlashes LOL.

Lizards
Old 03-17-06, 06:47 AM   #29
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman
I heard somewhere a tip about taking a heavy lure, winging out your best cast, and then pulling off another 20 yds. of line, then putting a piece of tape across the spool. Anyone heard about this? Supposedly it prevents backlashes from cutting too deep.
Yes I heard about this and glad you brought the trick back into my mind. Supposed to keep from spooling a reel on a bad backlash. Makes sense but havent tried it. Will try it .
Old 03-22-06, 12:34 AM   #30
ROBZILLA

I think another common mistake people make is when spooling a bait caster think on how many fish you catch pulls out line, very few! so why not put on JUSTa little more than your furthest cast. this will save you line and for first timers will be less expensive learning how to use a bait caster.

Robby.
Old 03-22-06, 02:53 AM   #31
islandbass

fl,

yes! that is a good trick, especially for beginners. It doesn't prevent backlashes but it does minimize the bird's nest and keeps it closer to the top of the spool. Save for a super hard cast after which a nest occurs, it should stop at the tape if the thumb doesn't first.
Old 07-12-08, 12:07 PM   #32
Coachkwj
BassFishin.Com Member

I agree also. I usually load my baitcasters with mono backing and leave enough room for about 100 yds of 50 lb. braid. I wrap electrical tape around the mono to secure it and this also gives the braid a good foot hold to eliminate slippage. If you buy 300 yd spools,
they should last you 3 seasons like this.
Coachkwj is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.