Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-06, 05:14 PM   #1
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Keuka Lake Fishing

I have a couple friends that have cottages down on this lake (Keuka) and they've invited me to come over for a week a couple times this summer. My friend has a small boston whaler with no trolling motor, fish finder or drift socks so i dont know how useful this will be. I will probably be fishing mostly from the dock. What baits work well in Keuka Lake in the summer? I am looking for ways to catch ANY fish, not just bass.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 07:07 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you're fishing from docks and will be happy to catch anything, then use an ultralight and small lures, such as a size 0 inline spinner or Rapala Mini Fat Rap, just to name a couple. These will catch bluegills, crappie, perch, and rockies and if there are bass around, they will smack these tiny lures too. Then if you determine that bass prospects are good, you can switch to bigger lures and heavier tackle if you want to target the bass.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 07:39 PM   #3
pig n jig

When you get here, go to Valley bait & Tackle on route 54 in Hammondsport. Ron & Zeke has the best bait on the lake. The bait shop number is (607) 569-fish.Let me know when you come down, maybe I can get you out to fish . They are still spawning on Keuka right now. Water temp was 62.4 degrees Sunday. I caught over 40 smallmouth using a bubblegum colored super fluke.If your wanting lake trout,they are Redhot right now. 12 lbers are quite common in the weekend derbies on Keuka. Saturday night,I went out at midnight for lake trout. I went through 2 dozen sawbellies like nothing, most times the bait never reached bottom.The biggest weighed 7lb5oz., most were in the 3-4 lb range. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 04:21 PM   #4
Fishing4Soup

PnJ, do you ever see people having success while fly-fishing? my friend has a kayak so i could flyfish
Old 06-23-06, 09:31 PM   #5
pig n jig

There are a 2 local die hard fly fisherman on Keuka bass fishing.One in a Grumman jon boat that fishes around the main lake and 1 in a red Lund aluminum vee hull which usually fishes the main lake from 2 miles up from the southend and usually fishes towards the Bluff area.Both have good success flyfishing, while their techniques are different. The Grumman man casts and fishes bass popper bug types, while the Lund man trolls at slow speeds with bigger streamer type flies and he uses a roll cast to move the location of his lure while he is trolling.Fish topwater baits near dusk and dawn from shore.I hope this helps, P N J
Old 06-23-06, 11:14 PM   #6
Fishing4Soup

ok im going to flyfish i guess. Thanks!
Old 06-24-06, 06:13 AM   #7
pig n jig

I grew up on Keuka and still live very close to it.I have a 14ft aluminum boat to get you out to fish ,depending on weekday, or weekend you will be here,we can fish after I get out of work on the weekdays.If you want to fish, instant message me for my phone number and give me a call when you get here.It won't cost you anything,anywhere we go on Keuka, I have areas on the lake to catch fish, without having to run long distances to go fish. P N J
Old 06-24-06, 12:28 PM   #8
pig n jig

Claybird (NJbassdevil) found this picture of the lake.Its about 19 miles long and nearly 2 miles wide on the main body of the lake.P N J http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...rent=YLake.jpg
Old 06-24-06, 03:59 PM   #9
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the south end is fairly good for land locke salmon and rain bow trout. for bass the upper shallows are fairly good..

zooker
Old 09-04-06, 03:05 PM   #10
skurfmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to skurfmaster

ive lived on keuka lake for 24 years and have fished most of the lake. I usually go for small or large mouth bass and occasionally get out for the lake trout. I must admit that the best thing ive found over the past years is a rubber worm and a sliding weight on the line jigging it through the weedbeds near docks, floating docks, and moored saild boats. Morning and evening fishing is often the best but the afternoon can be good too if you can find the cover. I have nailed several 20 inch large mouth this summer and never go home empty handed. Evening top lures work too...either a smaller rapala, or i perfer a jitterbug. I have found that the northern branch of the lake in branchport can be good around the sandbar and marinas, as well as the west bluff coast line near the green barrels. IF youre fishing for lake trout head for the end of the bluff, set your down riggers at around 100 ft. there are two shelfs the fish like to hang out in and fishing there is always great!
skurfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-06, 07:02 PM   #11
planxdownfall

Send a message via AIM to planxdownfall

i was just fishing there a couple weeks ago also at seneka lake. i caught some monster pike and bass on swimbaits. also i found some pike hit some tube worms.

the finger lakes right??
planxdownfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-06, 07:10 PM   #12
pig n jig

Skurf, I grew up in Hammondsport.Sounds like your on the Bluff side of Branchport mentioning moored sailboats ? I fish Branchport side alot for smallmouths.P N J
Old 09-04-06, 07:19 PM   #13
pig n jig

Planxdownfall, Yep the fingerlakes, I fish Seneca alot for Pike.The flat in front of the Akzo Salt company is a great spot for big pike in April and May.I fish a 10' Berkely power worm in red shad color as well as the 5" Nichols brand, or Venom brand tubes.P N J
Old 09-04-06, 07:34 PM   #14
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

seneca is by far my favorite lake to fish it is also the nastiest when the weather turns..

zooker
Old 09-05-06, 03:42 PM   #15
planxdownfall

Send a message via AIM to planxdownfall

yeah i go up once a year and it is really nice up there, i love it. great fishing
planxdownfall is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.