Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-15-14, 06:50 AM   #1
senkosam
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default So much for weather accuracy!!! Still caught fish and made the best of it.

Tough windy conditions the forecast said nothing about!

I don't mind it when the weather forecast is a bit off, but today was way off!! The weather report said nothing about a 25 mph + wind!!! We had to drive back to my house to get my new trolling motor batteries to install into the bass boat back at the lake because the old ones didn't have enough power to hold position or advance even a few feet into the wind. As it was, I would have need a 50lb anchor to hold on the hump I wanted to fish! East, west and north shores plus mid lake humps were impossible to fish because of the ocean waves. This lake doesn't fish well with a steady east/SE wind because it lie north-south long ways.

My partner lost a nice one that we didn't see because he didn't play it properly, but he did catch two more and a pickerel. My bass was over 3lb and I caught a few more in the 1.5lb range. Rocks and jigs were the combo that produced, but with that wind and the waves, I wish I had brought some 1/2 oz. jigs because,whitecaps are no fun, period! ~xyz Too bad the schools of fish displayed on my side scan weren't biting. At least precision casts with crankbaits wouldn't have been a problem.

Nice to see the water temp in the low fifties and the water level average for this time of year. Can't believe the weather in the next few days! Hope they're wrong so I can get back out and NOT have to do yard work long overdue. Night time temps are supposed to drop back into the low 30's, with a corresponding drop in water temp.

Guess my log book entries for late April will come true - the best fishing starts in the last week in April if not the first week in May and continues into mid June, regardless the weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my bass apr 14 2014.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	9005  
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 05:49 PM   #2
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice fish ... kind of makes up for bad weather, catching a few big 'uns.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 05:54 PM   #3
senkosam

At least we got out and caught fish before the #**%^# cold front moved in dropping the temperature from the mid 70's to upper 20's tonight, along with a few inches of rain and maybe snow in the next 24 hours.
Old 04-15-14, 10:01 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Those are always tough conditions to fish for sure. I like the bass in the photo! We got snow last night after hitting the 70's this past weekend. I thought that stuff was behind us. I should have known better. lol
Old 04-16-14, 01:52 AM   #5
senkosam

I just wish I'd have seen the fish that was bending my partner's MH rod so forcefully. It had to be over 5lb.! You can't horse a fish without taking the chance the hook will work it's way out.
Old 04-16-14, 04:57 PM   #6
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Glad to see you were able to catch some!
Mkes the conditions a little easier to take

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.