Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-10, 01:22 PM   #26
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Abu Morrum 1600 SX, my primary reel, used for lighter rigs.
2 Abu Revo Premiers. One used on a medium light rod for smaller lures, spinnerbaits, cranks. The other used on a heavy 7 foot spinnerbait rod.
Abu Morrum 5600m. Used for spinnerbaits, swimbaits, if I want to throw a trap....

Thats the starting lineup. I also have a couple bps reels that have a reoccuring issue or two, sometimes if I am flipping a lot I will switch one of my better reels onto that rod.

I feel like I've pretty much got it covered though. Yeah I would take another revo or morrum, but I have reached the point of overlap.
Old 12-25-10, 01:46 PM   #27
tarpon120
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Pretty much calcuttas, but I do have a few curados and chronarchs, also have a few older Abu's mainly used for stripe fishing. My favorite being a 101gt. Will be replacing a calcutta 51,that I lost on Guntersville back in spring when I probably should'nt have been on the water,with another 51 hopefully a te/gt if I can find one at the right price.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-10, 05:31 PM   #28
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I own a variety of reels,own more abu garcia 5600 c than anything else,while older technology they cast a long ways.
Sheer joy and comfort would be my lews speed spool ,very low gr for cranks.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-10, 07:48 PM   #29
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I don't have a ton of reels, although I'm slowly adding to the list.
As far as spinning goes, I have 2 Pfluegers- 1 Supreme and 1 President
For casting- 2 Quantum Catalysts and a Daiwa Viento
Old 12-25-10, 10:49 PM   #30
MississippiBoy

I'm just a poor boy, so I've just got some inexpensive (cheap) reels. One BPS Pro Qualifier, two Black Max's, a Daiwa of some kind that my buddy Bama dredged up (literally) for me, and a Shakespeare spinning reel. My one "good" reel is a David Fritts cranking reel I got for Christmas last year.
Old 12-26-10, 09:04 AM   #31
jdw174
BassFishin.Com Member

I have 6 Shimanos....3 of the older model green Curados, 2 of the older Castaics, and one new Caenan......with absolutely no plans to replace any of them. There aren't any cons to any of them that I can see. All are the 6.3:1 retrieve.(or 6.5...whatever).
I also have one Daiwa Megaforce 100TSH that I bought in a moment of weakness. It's a 7.1:1, has a dual braking system and casts a light lure a long ways.....but it's not the equal of any of my Shimano's, including the new Caenan 100.
The only real "clunk" in my collection is an old Quantum Iron IR4 with a 5:1 retrieve that I use for crankbaits. It's still chunking and winding after all these years and works very nicely with my hardbaits.
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-10, 03:06 PM   #32
SJRB
BassFishin.Com Member

3 abu garcia revo sx
1 abu garcia revo skeet reese
1 shimano citica
1 abou garica spenning reel
SJRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 02:17 PM   #33
ted4800
BassFishin.Com Member

I have three Abu-garcia 4600 and a friend gave me a new Abu-garcia 5500 this sumer. i have always stayed with the garcias because the local tackle shop advised me that parts will usually always be available. fixing one is always less expensive than buying a new one. At least one of these is over 20 years old and still going strong, What more could U ask ?
ted4800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 03:15 PM   #34
islandbass

My reel arsenal is modest:

Shimano Curado 201BSF
Shimano Curado 201DHSV
Shimano Curado 201101D
Shimano Cardiff 301A

Pflueger Trion Casting

Abu Garcia 5-Star Round Reel

I didn't list the spinning reels.

I would like to add a Daiwa casting reel to the mix some day, like perhaps a Zilllion.

I don't think I need to go into the performance of the curados, as they live up to their workhorse reputations.

My reels need to serve double duty for both bass and salmon, hence the need for the 201 and 301 sizes. My 101D, the exception, was acquired because the deal was too good to pass up.

The Trion was acutally a pleasant surprise to the arsenal. It is on par with the Curado BSF (old greenie) in every way except one... Unfortunately, and this is minor, in my hands, the Trion had some trouble tossing 3/16 oz and some less aerodynamic 1/4 oz lures whereas the Curado does not have trouble in that range. In my hands the Curado can also toss 1/8 oz lures where the Trion doesn't have a prayer.

As I said, it is definitely minor and not a show stopper. Matter of fact I actually like how the cranking feels on it than the Curado BSF.

My cardiff is one bad mamma jamma. I need its line capacity to battle salmon in the saltwater and rivers and incidentally, its 5.x:1 gear ratio makes it a suitable reel for crankbait fishing.

My Abu Round reel was a Kmart special I've been told and is of the older two-shoe brake design. After getting it cleaned up, installing Abec 7 bearings and upgrading the drag, it is now a formidable fish fighter. It's only downside for me is that it has the crank on the right side. It was the first casting reel I got and foolishly thought, a right-handed reel for a right-handed person. NOPE!

I prefer lefty reels but I also made myself learn to fish with the abu and can fish either way now.

In addition, my reels are not tied to certain rods or techniques. I don't have an arsenal to meet such a luxury.
Old 12-29-10, 03:25 PM   #35
WaffleJaw

Revo SX
Revo S
x2 Pro qualifiers 7: & 5:
Cardinal 702
Pflueger President micro spin

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 12-30-10 at 10:50 AM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 08:21 PM   #36
bamabassman

ok.....without going out and writing them all down. i mostly have garcias. about 6 in all. zooker gave me his. i know of a couple, okuma,fritts cranking reel, and some spinning reels i forgot the names of. i stioll am a little weak. but i'll get the list. some are gonna be sold a tthe get together and all monies given to zookers mom. along with a few rods.
Old 12-30-10, 09:54 AM   #37
tim4081

Casting: Quantum Catalyst PT 7:1, Quantum KVD 7:1, Quantum Escalade 7:1, Abu Revo S, Abu 4600 C3, Daiwa HSTA, Gander Mtn. Guide Series (round). All get used for various techniques and switched from rod to rod occasionally. The escalade is a plastic framed reel and getting replaced in 2011. All around favorite would be the Revo. The Daiwa is the smoothest but the ergonomics are bit off for me and I prefer centrifugal brakes.

Spinning: Shimano Sahara 2500, Plueger Arbor, BPS Pro Qualifer. Again all are used for different techniques. The Shimano is rock solid dependable but I think the Arbor casts a little bit further. The BPS just seems to have a little bit "cheaper" feel to me.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 02:22 PM   #38
RayC
BassFishin.Com Member

Here are just a few of my setups

1-Shimano Core 50MG/Shimano Cumulus
2-Daiwa Pixy super tuned (Pixizlla)/Gloomis GLX MBR782
3-Shimano Core 100MG/Shimano Cumara
4-Daiwa Alphas F/St Croix Legend Tournament
5-Shimano Curado 50E/Gloomis GLX MBR783
6-Shimano Chronarch MG50/Kistler Helium
7-Shimano Scorpion1000/Gloomis IMX MBR783
8-Abu Garcia Revo STX/Custom St. Croix Avid flipping Stix
9-Shimano Curado 300D/Gloomis SWBR955 swimbait rod
RayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 02:50 PM   #39
nofearengineer

LOL, Ray...you're going to fit in just fine around here, with that Monkey Bag.

As for me: (all lefty)

Casting:
(2) Revo STX HS
(1) Revo Premier
(1) Revo Winch
(1) Revo Toro Winch 61
(1) Revo Toro Winch 51
(1) Pflueger Patriarch 7.1
(1) Daiwa Zillion 50th
(1) Daiwa Viento

Spinning:
(1) Abu-Garcia Soron STX 40
(1) Abu-Garcia Soron STX 10
(2) Daiwa Capricorn 2500 XTC

Trolling:
(4) Okuma Magda MA30DX

Last edited by nofearengineer; 12-30-10 at 07:09 PM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 06:30 PM   #40
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC View Post
Here are just a few of my setups

1-Shimano Core 50MG/Shimano Cumulus
2-Daiwa Pixy super tuned (Pixizlla)/Gloomis GLX MBR782
3-Shimano Core 100MG/Shimano Cumara
4-Daiwa Alphas F/St Croix Legend Tournament
5-Shimano Curado 50E/Gloomis GLX MBR783
6-Shimano Chronarch MG50/Kistler Helium
7-Shimano Scorpion1000/Gloomis IMX MBR783
8-Abu Garcia Revo STX/Custom St. Croix Avid flipping Stix
9-Shimano Curado 300D/Gloomis SWBR955 swimbait rod
Nice arsenal! I'm jealous of your pixilla!

BB
Old 12-30-10, 06:58 PM   #41
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have 2 pinnacle reels, several shimano curado reels (7 or 8), a shimano citica, a shimano calais (that my wife gave me! Yep, she is awesome and no you can't have her!!!), and a Browning reel. I think that is it. I maybe leaving something out but I think that gets it. I will edit the list later if I need to.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 07:54 PM   #42
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I have about 10-12 reels that I use on a regular basis. I only have 1 reel that is dedicated to a specific technique, and I often change reels on rods to see how they fish differently from one another. My reels are:
2- 2010 Revo STX
1-2009 Revo Premier
1-2009 Revo STX
1-2009 Revo SX
1- Pflueger President II
1- Pflueger Asaro
1-Shimano Curado E series
1-Shimano Citica E series
1-Shimano Curado50 E series
1-Daiwa Exceler

I am a Revo fan, however the reel that I own that impresses me the most is my Shimano Citica. I say this because the reel is about 100 dollars brand new, and it will fish with any of the other reels in my collection without missing a beat. I don't know of a better reel for the money, but I am always open to suggestions.
I would like to add a reel to handle my light bait duties, I have looked at a few that I think would work well, Shimano 50E and the Daiwa Sol are in my price range, I think a tuned 50E on the right rod would handle my needs.
Since this post, I decided on the Shimano 50E, and have purchased and received it. I also purchased a set of Boca orange seal ceramic hybrid spool bearings and have installed them as well. This little reel is amazing, it weights 6.7oz and will cast a 1/4oz weight 35 yards effortlessly. I will give a full review of it once I have had a chance to fish it.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 07:56 PM   #43
pig n jig

I have
2 Daiwa TD2 reels on 6'10 All star heavy titanium rods spooled with 50 lb power pro for jig fishing.
1 shimano metanium XT on a Gary Yamamoto 7'6" MH for senkos, tube baits.
1 Shimano Citica E on a G Loomis 843C IMX rod for worm rod.
3 shimano calcutta 200 reels on a Clunn 803 rod for rattle trap,a 7'6 medium Gary Yamamoto rod for 1/4 ounce rattle traps, a Falcon 7' MH for 1/2 ounce spinnerbait.
2 Okuma v200 reels ona castaway SB3 rod for spinnerbaits, a 7'6" Heavy Gary Yamamoto rod for multi purpose presentations.
1 Daiwa Miilionaire CVZ 253 on a Quantum tour edition 7'6" flipping stick for frogs.
1 Daiwa Millionaire 203 CVX on a Saint croix avid flipping stick for back jig/frog rod.
1 Daiwa Millionaire 103 CVX on bass pro shop MH cranking stick for crankbaits.
1 Abu Garcia TP1000 on a Bass pro shop M cranking stick for crankbaits
2 Johnny Morris reels on 7' MH Quantum tour edition rods for multi purpose rods.1 Abu Garcia Torno on a 7' M Berkely series one rod for 1/4 ounce rattle traps/top water.

I have a few more that I don't often use.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 12:44 AM   #44
keithdog

Here are my currant setups as of now. There will be a small change once I get my froggin rod in the spring. All are casting setups except one.

1. Revo STX 7.0:1 on a Shimano Crucial 6'10" H-XF spooled with 20# Flouroclear. This is my pitchin rod for jigs and creature baits in heavy shallow cover. I also use this rod as my froggin rod for now. Thats about to change soon! I need this setup in conjuntion with a froggin outfit.
2. Revo SX 6.4:1 on a Cabelas XML 7'0" H-F spooled with 15# Flouroclear. I use for t- rigged worms and such, jigs, weedless spoons, swim jigs, lipless cranks, ect.
3. Cabelas Prodegy 6.3:1 on a 7'0" MH-F Gander Mountain Guide Series rod spooled with 17# Big Game line. Use this for large spinnerbaits, swim frogs, small 4"swim baits like the 4" Tru-Tunsten, and also use this for hollow soft swimbaits.
4. Revo S 6.4:1 on a BPS Pro Qualifier 6'6" MH-F spooled with 15# Flouroclear. This is primarily my spinnerbait rod.
5. Cabelas Prodegy 6.3:1 on a Cabelas XML 6'6" MH-F spooled with 17 pound mono. Various uses including spinnerbaits, swim jigs in shallow water, spooks and other large surface baits, chatterbaits, floating jerkbaits in shallow water.
6. BPS Rick Clunn 7.0:1 on a Rick Clunn 6'6" MH-F rod spooled with 17# Big Game. I use this mainly for buzz baits, soft jerk baits, top waters, floating jerk baits.
7. BPS David Fritts 4.7:1 on a St Croix Premier 7'0" MH-Mod spooled with 12 pound mono. My go to rod for large deep diving crankbaits.
8. BPS Rick Clunn 5.4:1 on a 7'0" M-MOD Shimano Convergence rod spooled with 12 pound mono. My go to rod for mid sized mid depth crankbaits, and suspending jerkbaits.
9. BPS Pro Qualifier 6.4:1 on a BPS 6'6" M-F Extreme rod spooled with 15# mono. My go to rod for small shallow crankbaits, many topwaters, and small spinnerbaits.
10. My only spinnerbait outfit. Daiwa Regal 2500xi on a Gander Mountain Pro Select Guide Sries 6'6" MH-F rod spooled with 20 pound braid. I use this mainly for light weight presentations. The narrow diameter braided line works great with this outfit.

I received a new Pro Qualifier reel for Christmas which will become my main spinnerbait reel and the Revo S will be moved to a froggin rod I have yet to purchase. The annual BPS Spring Sale can't come fast enough!!! I have a few reels and rods in storage that don't see water much anymore. So I didn't list them. I still have an old Shimano Bantam 1000 casting reel that works fairly well, but is a bit rough now. I need a bigger boat! Can't take all this out in my 12 foot jon, hahaha.

Last edited by keithdog; 01-02-11 at 12:58 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 12:27 PM   #45
fish4942

I just love these “what do ya have and what do ya use it for” post. I’m a true weekend angler even though I try and go literally every day. I’m not a pro angler and I don’t have a boat…yet. I’m just a guy that loves to fish. Only a few of my rigs I use for specialized occasions. Other than that, all is fair game for all situations. So here goes….

BaitCasters

Quantum:
Bill Dance Baitcaster Combo: 12lb original Stren
Tenacity Baitcaster Combo: 14lb Trilene Sensation
My very first 2 baitcasters. BD from BPS and Tenacity was Dick’s Sporting Goods version of the same reel. Still have them but don’t use them much. I take them out every now and again just to remind myself of where baitcasting began for me. Nostalgic. I can’t even remember what I have them spooled up with. I think 1 in and the other is.

Shaw Grixsby-
Line: 14lb Trilene XT.
Rod: Berkley Lighting Rod
I really don’t use it too much, but usually for flipping into the branches and brush. Has that flipping switch which I still don’t know if it’s all that necessary to have. But it’s there so I use it. The rod actually came from an Abu Garcia silvermax combo I got at Dicks. It was a left-handed model that I couldn’t pass up for $30.00. Figured I’d give LH retrieve a shot to see if I liked it. Didn’t like it. Trading in the reel at the next BPS spring sale.

Accurist-
Line: 12lb Trilene XL
Rod: 6’6 BPS Tourney Special
Mainly spinner baits. But I use it for soft plastics too.

Bass Pro Shops:
Johnny Morris Elite-
Line: 17lb Trilene XL
Rod: Scheels 7’ Pro Angler Split Grip
I use it mainly with lipless crank baits like the Strike King Red-Eye Shad and other crank baits. Also use it for pitching underneath bridges and into heavy cover.

Pro Qualifier-
Line: 14lb BPS Mono
Rod: : Scheels 6’6 Trophy (I think)
User is for everything.

Abu Garcia:
Revo SX-
Line: 30lb Power Pro Braid (Moss Green)
Rod: : 7’0 Ugly Stick
Catfishing

Spinning Reels

Shimanno:
2 Sienna 2500-
Line: 10lb Trilene XL.
Rod: 6’6 & 6’0Shakespeare Excursions (Wal-Mart)
Pan Fishing and bass fishing with soft plastics and light jig heads

Sedona-
Line: Not sure. Came pre spooled from Cabelas. Maybe 10-12lb test
Rod: Cabelas 6’6 Tourney Trail
Pan Fishing and bass fishing with soft plastics and light jig heads

Pflueger:
President 6725x-
Line: 10lb BPS Mono
Rod: Pflueger 6’6 president combo
Pan Fishing with slip bobber.

Bass Pro Shops:
Pro Qualifier 3000-
Line: 12lb Trilene XL
Rod: 7’0 Shakespeare Excursions (Wal-Mart)
Pan Fishing (Crappie) with light jig head.

Sea Lion 70-
Line: 30lb Trilene Big Game
Rod: 7’0 Ugly Stick Catfish rod
Catfishing in swift current

Abu Garcia:
Cardinal 302-
Line: 10lb Trilene XL
Rod: 6’6 Abu Garcia combo (actually probably 6’1 since I broke the tip and sanded it down flush with next eyelet)
Pan Fishing

Okuma:
Model Unknown-
Line: 30lb Power Pro Braid (Moss Green)
Rod: 6’6 Berkley Bionic
My son uses it for catfish and walking along the bank with his cousin chasing frogs. Go figure.

Then I have about 10 other spinning and spincast rods and reels for the kids.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 04:23 PM   #46
Old Hooker

2 BPS Pro Qualifer in 6.4:1. One I use on my worm rod, the other for spinnerbaits.
1 Pro Qualifer in 7.1:1. Rattletraps and hard jerkbaits.
1 Pro Qualifer in 5.2:1. Crankbaits.
1 Revo S in 6.4:1. Pitching/flipping and the rare frog.
1 Shimano Bantam Black Magnum 5:1. Bought by me new in 1988 and is my top water reel.
1 Shimano Spirex 6.4:1 spinning reel. Used for anything lite, but mainly floating worms and weightless Super Fluke Jr.s.
Old 01-31-11, 06:21 PM   #47
dave0943

I've got a thinned out collection. I've got four sons, all over 18. Every 3 or four years, I've gone through rigs that I rarely use and give some to the boys. Low gear ratios for deep cranking, Mid ratios- Multi purpose- High ratios for Flippin and pitchin. Got to get back to work so can't get into detail on this post. Lunch hour! I had quite a few combo's from my days of owning a sport shop. When I built my new house and moved, I really cleaned house and gave many away. The one's I have now all get used during the season.
I owned the shop for close to nine years and you would be amazed how much gear you can stow away. Held a garage sale for all the excess tackle
I've been out of that business for quite a few years and it kills me to have to now buy gear retail!

Baitcasting
2- Curado E series
2-Revo STX
3 Revo SX
3 Pro Qualifier's all different ratios
1 Cabelas Prodigy
2 Abu 4600 C3's
1 Abu 5500 C3
1 Abu 5600 C4
1 Abu 4600 C4

Spinning
All Newer- gave my sons older rigs. Assorted weight reels.Will buy a few new reels this
season. Either Pflueger or Abu

4 Pflueger President reels 2 different series Amazing reels
2 Abu Cardinal 5 reels - Excellent for the money
2 Pflueger Trion reels Amazing reel for the money
2 Abu Sorons My favorites
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 12:47 AM   #48
di$TOrTed
BassFishin.Com Member

I use my Okuma Trio reel for everything :/
di$TOrTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 03:37 PM   #49
dave0943

When I look back at my above post, I got to thinking. As far as BC reels, I could probably change out all my reels for Pro Qualifiers and be happy. Don't get me wrong, love my Revo's and Curado's, but those darn PQ's don't give up a whole lot in performance. I have to check into the PQ spinning reels.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 09:52 AM   #50
fish4942

I can't remember if I responded already. Hold on a sec...

Yep, sure did.

Last edited by fish4942; 02-02-11 at 10:11 AM.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.