Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-07, 08:20 AM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Muddy Water

Does muddy water refer to the visibility level, or does it refer to the color? My lake is very peanut-buttery. You can see about 5 feet down. Is that muddy? Is it stained? All of the other lakes around here have a green/blue tint and you can usually see anywhere from 10-15'.

Julien
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 03:18 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok Jools, muddy means that the water has a high ammount of soil particles ( usually clay particles ) suspended in it, stained means that the water has a certain ammount of dyes dissolved in it.

Suspended and dissolved are not the same thing but both reduce the visibility.

Color of the water is caused by either the color of the particles itself ( in places where the soil is whitish the water will be whitish, in places where the soil is redish the water will have a redish color ), by the color of the dyes ( ever seen that water from cypress swamps ? ), usually the dyes are leached into the water by the vegetation or environment around the lake, mostly humic acids, those turn the water brown, coffe like.

Greenish/ blueish tint is most commonly caused by plankton ( algae ).

You can have a combination of the three elements occurring at te same time, soil particles, dyes and plankton.

Visibility is measured in measure units ( either metrical or english ).
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 05:39 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thus ends the biology lesson for the day.

Seriously, that is about the best explanation I have seen. Thanks, Amigo!
Old 06-16-07, 05:45 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

When I first started fishing muddy lakes in the spring, I had it in my head that you needed to be tight to structure and using colors that were bright or visible in muddy water. Years later after fishing the ohio river circuit and other bigger lakes in Ohio, I learned from seasoned veterns to watch the mud line and fish it, rather than using something to big to fish through it...fish have seen mudlines since day 1 of their existence, and many times the looks of the mud can be deceiving, it could be muddy on top, but much clearer a few feet deep, still having baitfish and bass nearby..
A good example as everyone can tell you that on Sunday at most big lakes you get to the lake and its stained just right or clearer, then by mid afternoon all the boat traffic and other lake lice will leave a mud line anywhere from a few feet to 20 yards of the bank from all the waves they create and wake.
Many times the bass will get near the mud line to ambush some critter that is cruising along in clearer water.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.