Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-10, 12:29 AM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default What a day....

Todays fishin trip was one of those unique days that we wish would happen more often, and is oddly simular to Keithdogs wolfpack bass post.

We hit the water at about 5:00am this morning and headed to the shallow grassy end if the lake for starters...we were the only boat on the lake so we had the place to ourselves...The frogs were quite noisy, so I tied on a Ragetail frog and started working the edges of the grass. It only took a few minutes before a nice little chunk blew up on it and I'd boated the first bass of the day.....So far so good.

The water temp was in the upper 80's, and all the grass is in 2' or less of water so I wasn't sure if they'd be in there feeding or not......It took another half hour before I caught my second bass......We worked the grass for another hour or so without any luck, and decided the morning bite was over, so we moved on to the steep banked area that has a creek channel nearby with 12-20ft water depths, and just started drifting along working that area, with no success.

By almost noon the air temps were around 102, and we were starting to cook now that the sun was high in the sky, and we were both wondering what to try next, when I noticed some splashing water a couple hundred yards away from us, and realized it was some type of fish schooling on the surface, so I pulled TM and had Ron fire up the big motor and head that way....by the time we got near the action it was over, but I went ahead and started ramdomly casting a suspending rattletrap, when suddenly baitfish were boiling the surface near us and another feeding frenzy was underway.....One cast to the middle and the fight was on...lol. A nice 3 pounder was released moments later....followed by another.

The action was fast and furious, and was happening on the surface in 45ft of water in the middle of the lake, on a 100+ degree day in the noontime sun.....Go figure....I don't know how long we trolled around chasing the baitfish (whatever they were) but you could see their wake moving the surface of the water......follow their wake and soon enough the water would begin to boil, and then these small wolfpacks of bass would attack them for 15-30 seconds then it was over.....this went on for awhile...at times it was happening in several spots around us at once...I don't know how many bass we ended catching,and none of them were hawgs, but we caught and released several, and had so much fun we forgot all about how hot it was for the duration that this event went on.....once it died completely we realized again how hot we were....and called it a day about 1:00pm.

What a great morning on the water....Who would've guessed that here in the dog days of summer that we could hit the water on the first day of August, in triple digit temps,and have such a great day of bass fishin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	# 023.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	5657   Click image for larger version

Name:	# 030.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	5658   Click image for larger version

Name:	# 047.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	5659   Click image for larger version

Name:	# 053.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	5660  
Old 08-02-10, 05:42 AM   #2
walkeraviator

i need a day like this...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 07:19 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thats very cool AND very fun! YOur right about chasing the schools of baitfish. I did the same thing. And often by the time I got there the bite woulld be over as the feeding frenzy would end in about 30 seconds like you said. I finally just started waitting for it to start where I was sitting or colse enough to get to quickly. Congrats on the great day on the water!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 10:06 AM   #4
WaffleJaw

Man that is some gorgeous water!!..Glad ya'll got into some fish!
Old 08-02-10, 12:32 PM   #5
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Thats very cool AND very fun! YOur right about chasing the schools of baitfish. I did the same thing. And often by the time I got there the bite woulld be over as the feeding frenzy would end in about 30 seconds like you said. I finally just started waitting for it to start where I was sitting or colse enough to get to quickly. Congrats on the great day on the water!
I had the TM on high and chased the baitfish for a bit, but like you said it became easier to just wait for those events to happen near us.....and they did.

I've only seen fish feeding like that as a teen fishin for sandbass.....This was the first time I've seen largemouth bass do it.....I'd always heard they did, but this was my first time to witness it......It was cool....My fishin buddy Ron had never seen anything like it either, so it was a neat experience for both of us.
Old 08-02-10, 03:46 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

that is awesum man. nuthin like it huh? great pics as usual too. thanks michael.
Old 08-02-10, 11:45 PM   #7
WatterBoy

Hey 66KF -- awesome job on the fish and VERY COOL pics. Thanks for sharing!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 02:47 AM   #8
islandbass

Man, that is a mighty fine report. I need one of those days. Bass in one local lake are apparently on vacation.
Old 08-04-10, 11:49 PM   #9
bassinbob

I'd like to have a day like that. Had work in the hot sun is all I got.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.