Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-08, 11:58 AM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default First topwater catch this morning

I had my first topwater fish this morning. I have had some misses while I was reeling in the lure before but this was my first topwater strike when I was actually fishing topwater. I was slowly pulling and twitching a weightless fluke across the top of the water and then WHAM. It was just a small 0.75 pound bass but he actually jumped out of the water when he hit it. It was awesome. I had a few more hits this morning but I tried to set the hook too early and lost them. You guys are right, topwater hits are great.

I saw some swirling and rolling of the water near my lure at times but no hits then. When I see that do I need to stop my lure and let it sink or just keep reeling and throw it back out there in the area again?
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 12:25 PM   #2
doc

depends on what mood the fish are in, try both. Sometimes if you speed up or make real eratic movements with your bait they will hammer it then. Other times you slow it down, or let it fall and thats when they take it.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-08, 01:39 PM   #3
rrw4258

Hopefully it will be the first of many for you... i still remember my first topwater bass from 6 or 7 years ago when i was just starting to bass fish. She was caught on a Storm Chug Bug that i found laying on the bank. She was about 12 inches..

Ryan
Old 08-05-08, 02:35 PM   #4
Snake2715
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Make sure the hooks are big enough.. I kept missing them over and over and realized I needed to increase the size of my hooks.

I just picked up some 4/0 Wide Gap Worm Hooks and I think that may still be too small...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.