Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-24-11, 07:58 PM   #1
VolForLife
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Best "all around" combo

I was wondering what would be the best all around combo for bass fishing? Like if you could have only 1 rod and reel that could properly fish all lures, what would it be? And why
VolForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 08:08 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Do you specific brand, model etc., or just in general?

I'd go with a 7' MH casting rod, and a 6:1 reel with a strong drag (> 8 pounds). I'd spool it with 30 pound braid. The rod would have to have 10+ quality guides (like alconites, or SiC). If you took the same rod, and put 6 on one, and 10 on the other, the one with more guides would be more sensitive. More points for the vibrations from the line to reach rod, to reach your hand. I'd probably have to go with Micro guides for more casting distance. The rod would have to have a small, fore grip as I like to hold it if I'm tossing a swimbait. And a full cork handle to top it off.

It would have to be a reel that can also cast reasonably light baits, but enough power to fish small swimbait and frogs. A shimano core 100, or daiwa steez would probably be a good choice.
Old 06-24-11, 09:12 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For up north if I were only taking one rod out it would probably be a 7' Medium spinning rod. I tend to use a lot lighter baits and plastics up here. Down South it would be a 7' Medium Heavy/Fast Action casting rod. I throw a lot more heavy baits and jigs down there. If you are looking for brands then I'd have to say my Loomis shaky head spinning rod with a Stradic 2500FI reel, and my Fenwick TechnaAV with a Daiwa Zillion high speed reel. That's what is paired up right now, I'd change the Zillion out if I had to choose one though. With that being said, I have a lot of rods that I carry with me in the boat.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 09:29 PM   #4
bamabassman

i have to agree with the 7 foot rod, micro guide would be a BIG plus for me as well. as for the reel, 6;4.1 ratio reel.........and it would HAVE to be a GARCIA reel. brand rods and reels are like FORD CHEVY, TOY-ota,whatever car/truck you drive. and since oyu DO live in tennerSEA, lol, line choice depends on WHERE oyu fish mostly, what kind of cover oyu fish in. if oyu fish a lot of GRASS, go with the SUFFIX 832 (got it right this time ant,hehe). i don't have any YET, gonna get some though. if that is not available, poer pro in 30#-50# test is good too. if oyu fish non-cover or no grass or such. flour or mono would be the hoice i would think.

you are gonna get a whole bunch of different choices as far as rods and reels go. different strokes for different folks understand?

but ONE thing oyu gotta do is RESEARCH and HANDLE all the rods and reels and see which ones YOU like. what feels good in OYUR hands. test em out first. treat them like oyu already have them, not like glass while oyu are in the store. if the people at the store don't lie you handling it that way......walk away. if they know fishing and fishermen.they will understand. ask as many questons as oyu need to. READ UP ont eh items. you'll get what you NEED and want beter by doing this.

good luck buddy. and post up what you get ok? pics are loved here by the way. fish pics especially, lol. but please........not bill dance caps, BWAAHAHAHAAHHA!!!! kidding pal.
Old 06-24-11, 09:48 PM   #5
Tavery5

I would go with a 7ft MH F rod as they tend to be a very versatile rod and can cover a lot of techniques well. I would want one with allot of sensitivity so I could fish contact baits well, maybe an upper end St. Croix or a G-Loomis. For the reel, I would want an upper tier bait caster from one of the big three, something that has proven itself, maybe a Chronarch, Premier or Zillion. There are a ton of great rod and reels out there in all kinds of price range, but if I could only have one that was in my price range, this is where I would start looking.
Old 06-26-11, 12:33 PM   #6
keithdog

Ok, I agree with the previous mentioned and wish to add a thought about a combo I have. I have a Garcia Revo SX mounted on a Cabelas 7'0" XMLS705-1 MH/F casting rod. It's spooled with 15 pound P-Line Flouroclear line. This is one combo I have been really really really happy with. I can tell you the rod is very sensitive and loads well. I'm not exactly sure why, but this combo FAR outcasts any combo I have including any of my crankbait specific combos. Great reel and rod combo!
Old 06-26-11, 12:40 PM   #7
Jrob78

I would definitely go with a casting rod in the 7'-7'3" range. It would be a med heavy, fast action rod with micro guides and a split grip. This rod won't do everything well but it should be versatile enough to handle a wide range of lures and conditions.

I would go with 12-15lb copoly line and a good 6.3:1 ratio casting reel. I'm a big fan of the Daiwa Zillion and the Pflueger Patriarch XT. The rod would be custom.
Old 06-26-11, 12:51 PM   #8
WTL

The state of the art, new, Garcia Red Reels teamed with a ultramodern, 5 foot 6 inch Shakespeare Wonderrod will serve you in all of your freshwater bigmouth pursuits!!!! New, ultralightweight, fiberglass rod technology will deliver the crisp casting needed for throwing light lures on todays modern nylon monofilament line!!!!

Old 06-26-11, 01:36 PM   #9
JerseyFisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Up north the most versatile rod would be a 7' M F rod. I'm a fan of St. Croix so their higher end rods would be nice. I only own a Premier, Triumph and Mojo Bass. For a reel I would definitely go Shimano.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-11, 10:31 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

A 7' MH F rod is a great all around rod. Everyone you ask has their opinion on which brand is best. Personally, I like Dobyns Rods. But there are many good rod manufacturers out there like Dobyns, Falcon, Daiwa, Shimano, Powell, G Loomis, St. Croix, etc. just to name a few.

As far as reels, any good low profile casting reel should work good for all around use. My reel brand of choice is Daiwa. But I don't think you could go wrong with a reel from the Big Three: Daiwa, Shimano, Abu Garcia.

BB
Old 06-26-11, 11:22 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
The state of the art, new, Garcia Red Reels teamed with a ultramodern, 5 foot 6 inch Shakespeare Wonderrod will serve you in all of your freshwater bigmouth pursuits!!!! New, ultralightweight, fiberglass rod technology will deliver the crisp casting needed for throwing light lures on todays modern nylon monofilament line!!!!

This really made me smile Billy!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.