Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-27-08, 10:13 AM   #1
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Drop Shot Rig

i need to know how to tie a drop shot rig because i have a tournament tomorrow at lake conway in florida.
danielbasspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 10:45 AM   #2
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbasspro View Post
i need to know how to tie a drop shot rig because i have a tournament tomorrow at lake conway in florida.
Here you go. http://www.bcbass.ca/dropshot.html
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 06:44 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

We have an online video all about the drop shot rig in High Definition. Check it out:

Or if you want a quick and dirty video demonstration on how to rig the drop shot, check out this Instructional Video Short in HD:

Old 09-30-08, 05:25 PM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That was fantabulous. There was nothing I disagreed with that I learned through my own experience with drop shotting. Thanks for breaking through so many perceived notions of the drop shot.
Old 10-01-08, 09:37 AM   #5
Lilmoosecountry

I do my rig alittle diffrent. Mine is more weedless and faster to tie. I use a T-rig hook. I tie it in a loop knot 6 to 8 inches from the bottom. Then tie on a casting sinker. Just Texas rig to the hook. Now you can put that worm in cover that you would'nt dare try the other way.
Old 10-22-08, 11:39 AM   #6
poindxta
BassFishin.Com Member

this might be a stupid question but here goes...

can you drop shot from the bank? i don't have a boat. i do have a float tube but its getting mega cold so i won't be using that until pre-spawn comes.
poindxta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 12:02 PM   #7
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by poindxta View Post

can you drop shot from the bank? i don't have a boat. i do have a float tube but its getting mega cold so i won't be using that until pre-spawn comes.
There´s no such thing as a stoopid question.

To answer your question, yes you can use the rig from the bank, I use it but it depends on what´s underneath the surface, the rig is not that great on flats but with a certain degree of slope you are in busisness.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 03:48 AM   #8
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by poindxta View Post

Of course you can. In the 2007 season, I caught over 100 bass just using the drop shot. And yes, they were all caught from the shore. I too am shorebound. Never let that prevent you from trying any technique.
Old 10-28-08, 03:34 PM   #9
poindxta
BassFishin.Com Member

raul & islandbass...thanks for the response!

any tips on bait or line length for shore DS?
Old 10-29-08, 12:32 AM   #10
islandbass

Here is something that I wrote based on my personal experience from the using the technique and learning about it. I am no expert, but I am more than happy to share with you and others what I gained from it.

Islandbass’ Take on the Drop Shot

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have grown fond of the Drop Shot technique in my short, four-season fishing journey. I have been using it for just over a season’s time. This is a very productive method to catch fish in a variety of states. In my first outing for smallies this season, I hooked and caught 3 smallies on three consecutive casts. It is the only method that has done this for me to date, and from the shore to boot. At the very least, I can share with you what I have learned through trial, error, and experience (which isn't much).

Basic Drop Shot Diagram
Here is a generic set up.

Rod and Reel Type
You don't need a Drop Shot specific rod. A medium-light to medium-action rod from 6'6" on up to 7' should work for you for now. If you find drop shotting to your liking, you can then opt to go with a Drop Shot specific rod of your choice. As a rule of thumb, a longer rod will enable you to have more line control and leverage; two big pluses in drop shotting.

I prefer spinning reels (a size 20 or 2500 reel is an excellent choice) because they require less work to give the bait a better (IMHO) descent than a baitcast reel. Sorry baitcast reel users, but the way a spinning drops the bait (for ¼ oz weights and less) smokes a baitcast reel any and every day for drop shotting. To those who use baitcast reels exclusively, please note I said for drop shotting in its basic, finesse form (lighter lines, weights, and smaller baits). There will not be a need to strip line off just to make the bait fall.

With that said, casting reels can also be used. I just prefer a spinning reel. You may use whatever reel you want. Even a Barbie pole can get it done for drop shotting! However, I would not hesitate to use heavier line, weights, larger baits and a baitcast reel if I were to drop shot heavy cover. Something I call Alpha Shotting!

Drop Shot Weight and Type
A 3/16 - 1/4 oz weight is a good starting weight. Going any lighter might make it harder for you to read what is going on until you get experience. As for the shape, I like to use either the teardrop or cylindrical shape. I have not experimented with other shapes. Windier conditions and stronger currents might make you want to choose a heavier weight, but let’s not worry about that for now.

Line
Because you are drop shotting, lighter line is preferred if the cover you are fishing allows it. Go up in # strength if the cover dictates this. I like and use 6# fluorocarbon, particularly Seaguar's Invizx. This line kicks fanny. No doubt about it. The plus in going with fluorocarbon in a higher # test if needed is despite having a slightly thicker line diameter; the angler retains the benefit of fluorocarbon’s trait of near invisibility as advertisers so claim. Whichever line you choose, I think the fluorocarbon line of your choice will be fine.

I know that some also prefer to use braid. I know the benefits of braid and am not against it and maybe someday I’ll use it with a fluorocarbon leader. Given the amount of sensitivity my rod and line provide me, I just don’t have a need to take it up a notch to braid for the typical depths I fish, which is usually no more than 20’. If you plan to fish greater depths, braid may very well be the ticket. The enhanced sensitivity braid provides can be a plus.

Baits
Keep an open mind here. Many baits of a variety of shapes can be used. The general rule of thumb is a tendency to use smaller baits since we are "finesse" fishing (translates to downsizing in general). The typical length of a drop shot bait usually ranges from 3" - 4.5" but this is NOT set in stone. Roboworms, Senkos, Sniper Snubs and Bolts (the latter two are locally made baits), Reaction Innovations Flirts, and heck, even Baby Brush Hogs and Tubes can be used. Think out of the box. I have used longer worms too. This season, the 4.5” Roboworm (in Aaron’s Magic) and Sniper Snubs in Watermelon and Dark Brown have been so effective that to date I have not seen a need to try something else or other colors. It might be different for bass in other waters. If you wish to know, so far the most effective baits for me have been, the snubs and roboworms.

Here is a picture of a smallie I caught on a longer Roboworm hoping for a bigger smallie. The darn Roboworm is nearly as long as the smallie!

Hooks/Knot
I prefer to use size 1 or 2 (mostly size 2) Owner Mosquito or Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot hooks. If I am fishing a grassy area in which grass can catch the exposed hook, I opt for the Owner Down Shot hook, which is in essence a mini version of an EWG (extra wide gap) worm hook. Naturally, if you plan to drop shot much larger baits, you might need to go up in hook size.

I attach the hook to the line with a Palomar knot and after it is tied, I insert the extra line (tag end) through the hook's eye before attaching the weight.

Leader (Tag end) Length (Distance from the hook to the weight)
The best way to figure this out is to experiment. I have had success with leaders (tag ends) being as short as 4-6" to nearly but not quite 24”. Because drop shotting is not limited to a purely vertical presentation, a longer leader is a good idea if you wish to work it somewhat like a Texas or Carolina rig. The longer leader length or tag end (which I define here as the distance between the weight and your hook, perhaps 18" as a ballpark figure) will enable you to keep the bait off the ground with the shallow angle that will result from a long cast. For a more vertical presentation, a shorter distance from the hook to the bait can work. Another influencing factor is the depth at which the fish are staying. You might need to adjust your tag end accordingly.

Imparting Life to the Lure
Despite the initial perception of working this lure, it is not all about jiggling and wiggling the bait to death. An angler can indeed work the bait this way, but I can tell you from personal experience, that wiggling and jiggling the bait to death (continuously) has accounted for the fewest number of catches. By no means am I saying to not wiggle and jiggle it to death. That is only one method.

So what should one do in addition to the wiggling/jiggling tactic?

Keep the weight on the bottom for the most part and leave enough slack to let the bait sink on its own weight. Then, when you think the bait is near the bottom lift/twitch the rod just enough to move the bait a little (without moving or minimizing the movement of the weight on the bottom) and repeat. In effect, what you are doing is working a semi-slack line and this is what is imparting action to the bait. No hits? Repeat if you wish, or add a little dead sticking to the mix or, drag your bait to the next spot. All are good choices. The dragging of the weight from one spot to the next also imparts life and action to the lure and can help to draw a strike. In addition, working with the slack and dead sticking have been far more effective for me compared to wiggling and jiggling the bait to death.

Not sure what the bait will do? Find some shallow water and drop your bait down. The depth should be one where you can see all the way to the bottom. Once the weight is on the bottom, let your bait fall by lowering your rod. Before the lure hits the bottom, raise the rod’s tip enough to bring the lure up, and do your best to keep the weight in place. Watching this will give you an idea of what will likely be happening when you are not able to see the bait with your own eyes. Visualizing what the bait is doing when I can’t see it helps me to focus on what I am trying to do, and that is catching fish.

Concerned about not being able to feel the bite on this semi-slack line if you are using fluorocarbon or braid? Let me put you at ease. It is not an issue. Either of those lines combined with a sensitive rod is more than adequate to feel the bite when the line has a bit of slack.

The Strike or Hit
The strike or hit can vary depending on the activity level of the fish, the quality of your set up to a certain extent, and the line you are using. More sensitive rods do a better job of transmitting what is going on to you. I have had the blessing of drop shotting with my Berkley Cherrywood Rod, which is decent and not too shabby, but comparing it to my Lamiglas Certified Pro Drop Shot rod is something else. Here is my analogy:

If the Cherrywood rod provides stereo sound to me while watching a DVD movie, the Lamiglas rod gives me the sound in THX, for the full cinema experience. The latter rod is not necessary to enjoy drop shotting, but it makes it a lot easier to feel and detect the subtle strikes.

The line you use can also influence the feel of the strike. My experience working with both mono and fluorocarbon is that the latter always seemed to give me a better picture. We all know now that although FC line can have as much or more stretch than a comparable monofilament line, it is likely that its density still enables it to beautifully transmit information from the end of our line, to the rod and to our hands. We all know how well braid transmits data back to the angler too so I don’t think I need to elaborate further.

The hit or strike can feel like:
1) A mushy tug or tick, which could translate to a complete inhalation of your bait or the fish attacking the lure from the hook's side.
2) A nibble or nibbling, that transmits vibrations through the line to you. Sometimes you can see or feel the line vibrate through your semi-slack line. More sensitive rods tell you this much better and more clearly. I believe when the hit is like this (my best guess anyway as I visualize the strike), it is possible that the fish might have taken the lure from the side opposite the hook and the nibbling/vibrations you feel is the fish taking in the bait into its mouth, eventually getting to the hook.
3) Bam! An aggressive hit and it's on!

The Hook Set
For one and three, just reeling up the slack and adding enough tension to make the line taut is sufficient for most cases to drive the light wire hook home. For case two, you have to wait until the fish gets to the hook and then do as mentioned above. If you don't, you will pull the lure from the fish's mouth. Since it didn't get to the hook, there is no way the fish can get hooked.

I have written this based on the experience I gained from drop shotting. Take it for what it’s worth, an opinion at best. I will close by giving you a final warning:

WARNING: Drop Shotting is as addictive as it is effective.

Good luck and go get’em!

-ib
(Alexander Arceo)

Review of the 2007 Season

The Drop Shot technique has been so effective for me even though it is my first season learning and using it. It has accounted for 100% of the smallmouth bass and about 70% of the largemouth bass I have caught this season, and I caught a lot, the most ever!!! And here is the thing that makes this even sweeter. They were all caught from the shore. No, this is not a testament to my skills, but a testament to the effectiveness of the Drop Shot technique.
Old 10-29-08, 10:12 AM   #11
poindxta
BassFishin.Com Member

islandbass...thanks man, thats a lot of awesome information that i will definitely try out.
Old 10-29-08, 11:45 AM   #12
islandbass

No problem.

If you can, don't forget to also view Kevin's videos. They are chock full of information and if you're a visual learner like me, you will definitely get a lot from them.
Old 10-29-08, 04:58 PM   #13
BassinBrits
BassFishin.Com Member

Islandbass - a really helpful post - thankyou very much.

We can't wait to get to Fla in January and try it out. Only 2 months to go
Old 10-29-08, 09:18 PM   #14
woody

Hey Islandbass, Thanks for your words of wisdom.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 01:35 PM   #15
Lilmoosecountry

Very addictive method for me. I used the dropshot about 70% of the time this year. While my rigging is alittle diffrent. The concept is the same. But the biggest diffrence for me is the time spent rigging the right way & my way. I am able to rerig in under minute. Why well thats simple fish move around. Taking way to long to rig anything may cost you a another chance at those fish. I cast mine. That's quite simple it helps me find the fish faster. I'm not sure my methods are better. But i never left the lake with out a harvest from the dropshot. My suggestion is if you get into casting the dropshot. Have a T-Rigged worm ready to go with same worm or same color. This way you always beable to present the fish the same worm when the cover get's tighter. Like lets say a log. Use the dropshot first on the out skirts. Then grab the T-Rig & cast further back into messior cover. Yes these are to diffrent rigs but the can be used to compliment each other.
Old 10-31-08, 08:32 AM   #16
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

that video helped a lot thanks
danielbasspro is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.