Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-24-10, 02:54 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Braid questions

After many years of using nothing but mono, I decided to try some braid on my primary baitcaster,so I purchased a pony spool of Spiderwire EZbraid 50#........First thing I noticed as I loaded my reel, was the line felt like it was wax coated or something and would even hold its shape if I wrapped it around my finger. So right off the bat, my first question is, "Does this stuff loosen up after its been in the water for a while or what"? I'm gonna give it a try this weekend so we'll see how it acts but I was wondering if I should expect some sort of "break in" period?

Also,the box had a notation that said I should use the Palomar knot for best performance.........Well, i've been tying the same knot for 30+ years and its not a palomar......Should I change my knot tying habits now that i've switched to braid? I have been practicing the Uni to Uni knot so I could tie on a mono or floro leader.....I think thats the knot of choice for joining two same diameter lines right?
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 03:09 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Most braids have a coating and it will wear off after a short break in period.

Palomar is one of the few knots that won't slip in braid. I'd highly suggest learning it for use with braid.

I use the uni to uni or double uni knot for all my line to line connections with no problems. Even 10lb braid (2lb diameter) to 8lb fluoro. One tip for this is instead of the regular 5-6 wraps used with fluoro or mono, use about 8-9 for the braided line half of the knot.

BB
Old 06-24-10, 04:23 PM   #3
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You'll probably like that braid a lot more when you've fished that coating off of it. It will probably fade in color, but that shouldn't matter in situations where you would use braid. I'm partial to Power Pro, myself. If you don't like the Spiderwire, give it a try. I really like the Eugene Bend Knot for all line.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 04:37 PM   #4
geezer1

One more thing, 66KF...Don't forget to put a monofilament backing under that braid, or it will rotate on the spool (no stretch).
Old 06-25-10, 08:52 AM   #5
Captmikestarrett

Fireline is heat extruded line and has no coating. That being said it tends to wear and get loose after repeated casting. It can eye loop on a cast and really cause some issues once it get soft and smooth. Reverse it and the it will be like new.

PP has a coating that the sun destroys after time and the line takes on water and will tip loop and eye loop after a year or two.

Same thing just reverse it.

I am geezing a bit but I remember the first braid on the market was USA Braid and it was white like dacron..

Cortland was second with a lime colored spectra that lost its color a week or two after using it.

Those where the days..

Capt Mike
Old 06-25-10, 11:53 AM   #6
66KingFisher

Thanks guys.....Sounds like I need to learn to tie a palomar knot just to be on the safe side. I'm anxious to see if I can feel a difference fishin with the braid over the mono i've used for so many years......I'll letcha know.
Old 06-25-10, 02:49 PM   #7
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmikestarrett View Post
Fireline is heat extruded line and has no coating. That being said it tends to wear and get loose after repeated casting. It can eye loop on a cast and really cause some issues once it get soft and smooth. Reverse it and the it will be like new.

PP has a coating that the sun destroys after time and the line takes on water and will tip loop and eye loop after a year or two.

Same thing just reverse it.

I am geezing a bit but I remember the first braid on the market was USA Braid and it was white like dacron..

Cortland was second with a lime colored spectra that lost its color a week or two after using it.

Those where the days..

Capt Mike
Remember Lynch Line?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 02:58 PM   #8
islandbass

You will definitely detect an increase in feedback to your hands. It has its advantages and tradeoffs just as any other line type. Learn the palomar for sure as it's one of the best knots suited for braid. Improved clinch knot is not an ideal knot and it will slip.
Old 06-25-10, 06:50 PM   #9
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Remember Lynch Line?

Ummmmm...in what context?

(looking for the uneasy smiley)
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 06:54 PM   #10
Garry2rs

Spectra and Dynamar are the two fibers that super-braid fishing lines are made from. They are similar but many folks think Spectra is a better product. These fibres will not hold dye.

The old fused Fireline had a black paint like substance on it that wore off fast. Powerpro is coloured with wax, which also soon washes off. All braids will get lighter in colour with use.

The new braided Fireline is made from Dynamar and is quite nice to use. I have also tried the new Spiderwire and some Stren. As far as I can tell all of these Pure Fishing braided lines are the same line in different boxes. I suspect they are all made in Asia by Stren.

Tuf-line and Powerpro are both made, from Spectra fibre, in the USA.

Braid is very limp and will loop around tip guides and very occasionally around a line guide. This seems to be a newbie thing, and it isn't much of a problem. The line has no memory, so if you tilt the rod down and shake it, the loop will usually fall off.

I use a lot of braid. I have it on all my spinning rods. However I still use some #20 mono and fluoro on bait casters. I have lots of rods and reels so this isn't a problem for me. I like #20 mono for surface baits and #20 fluoro sometimes for Spinnerbaits, and for deep divers.

For everything else I use braid and if appropriate, a knotless leader.
Garry2R's
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-10, 08:11 PM   #11
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Ummmmm...in what context?

(looking for the uneasy smiley)

I am currently wiping beer off my computer screen.

Jim
Old 06-28-10, 08:25 AM   #12
Bob Smith

The braid will take some getting used to, and like Captain Starrett, I have been using it since you could only get it in white.
This stuff is fantastic in situations where sensitivity is a must. It has a lot of great attributes and a few bad ones. The bad ones can be managed with a little experience though. I can tell you that if you get a backlash, do not start pulling and jerking the line, a temper tantrum can be painful with this stuff. The same goes for trying to get unhung or pulling the line to get a hook loose. Don't do it! Get an oak wooden dowel (like the kind used in closet rods) and keep it handy to wrap the line around and pull it like a lawnmower cord.
After the wax wears off the line I use a green and a black Marks a Lot or Sharpie and camoflage the lower 10' of my line (alternating the colors every foot or so). I also spray my reel with line and lure conditioner before my first cast every day to eliminate the extremely dry line (that's when the loops often occur).
Applications are best suited for sensitivity as stated above, but it also good when fishing spinner baits, buzz baits, frogs and other baits you would use around grass and vegetation. When you get a hook up you can get them out a lot easier, plus this stuff cuts through the vegetation like a knife!
Don't be afraid and do be patient! The rewards are there.
Old 06-28-10, 12:37 PM   #13
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
Spectra and Dynamar are the two fibers that super-braid fishing lines are made from. They are similar but many folks think Spectra is a better product. These fibres will not hold dye.

The old fused Fireline had a black paint like substance on it that wore off fast. Powerpro is coloured with wax, which also soon washes off. All braids will get lighter in colour with use.

The new braided Fireline is made from Dynamar and is quite nice to use. I have also tried the new Spiderwire and some Stren. As far as I can tell all of these Pure Fishing braided lines are the same line in different boxes. I suspect they are all made in Asia by Stren.

Tuf-line and Powerpro are both made, from Spectra fibre, in the USA.

Braid is very limp and will loop around tip guides and very occasionally around a line guide. This seems to be a newbie thing, and it isn't much of a problem. The line has no memory, so if you tilt the rod down and shake it, the loop will usually fall off.

I use a lot of braid. I have it on all my spinning rods. However I still use some #20 mono and fluoro on bait casters. I have lots of rods and reels so this isn't a problem for me. I like #20 mono for surface baits and #20 fluoro sometimes for Spinnerbaits, and for deep divers.

For everything else I use braid and if appropriate, a knotless leader.
Garry2R's
Have you found that the heavier rated line (50# plus) tends to dig into itself less than the thinner, lighter line on a baitcasting reel?
Old 06-28-10, 05:51 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
Have you found that the heavier rated line (50# plus) tends to dig into itself less than the thinner, lighter line on a baitcasting reel?
Yep, it's because it has a larger diameter.

As for all PF braids being the same line in different boxes, I'd have to disagree with you there. To me, Stren's braids feel like sand paper. Spiderwire's ultracast (and invisibraid) are much much smoother. This may have something to do with the fibers used (don't know which they both use) or more specifically, the numer of fibers, or carriers, used.

BB
Old 06-28-10, 09:59 PM   #15
geezer1

Tried Fireline a few years back. Got that black dye all over me during the course of the day. The shape (flat vs round) was annoying as it would not lay right on the 5500c I was using it on. I never used it again. But now I see a reference to "the new braided Fireline" made by Garry2rs. Is it better than the old & in what way?
Old 06-28-10, 10:20 PM   #16
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I happen to still like the original fireline. Never have to worry about it looping the ends of the rod, as it had just enough memory.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 12:15 AM   #17
66KingFisher

sunday was my first outing with the braid......I did not catch a fish of any kind, and a I don't know if the braid had anything to do with that or not.....I'm inclined to think NO,and I just had a crappy day and got skunked since my partner caught sunfish using 10# braid on his spinning reel.....so I dunno.

I will admit that right off the bat I got my biggest backlash of the day when I let my lure freespool to the floor of the boat by accident....lol....but I didn't panic and used Kevins trick to get things back to normal in short order. My biggest gripe so far has to be the noise of the line as it runs thru the guides as i'm reeling......I was amased how loud it was compared to mono.....sounds like sandpaper coming thru the guides......makes me worry about premature guide wear......I may have to try a better quality braid just for that reason alone.

I did have a much better feeling of "contact" with my lure, and I really liked that.......I threw a buzzbait early morning and switched to a jig and craw for the rest of the time. For the first time I could tell the difference between bumping rocks or timber or grass, with my jig. And for that reason i'll keep using it.....lol
Old 06-29-10, 12:25 AM   #18
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry too much about guide wear. I've run braid on my frog rod for probably 10 years or better. Guides show no wear to speak of.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 12:07 PM   #19
GregK9
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
I was amased how loud it was compared to mono.....sounds like sandpaper coming thru the guides......
Power Pro is smoother, not as noisy.
GregK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 02:45 PM   #20
DaveW731

I like PowerPro for being quiet and for better casting distance compared to other braids I have tried (Spiderwire, Suffix, Cabela) because it is smoother AND softer. Do have more problems with wind knots and guide/tip wrap-arounds for the same reason. Consider it a tradeoff.
I actually think the best application for braid is either in heavy cover so you can drive the hook home and winch the fish over top of the weeds, or if you need to know exactly what your bait/lure is doing. With worming, I can feel a fish as well with mono or flouro, since feeling the fish pick up the worm happens before enough stress is put on the line to stretch it.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-10, 04:31 PM   #21
bamabassman

my 2 cents worth here for ya pal. suffix is what i am using from now on pal. bigbassing144 turned me onto it. LOVE it, spray generously with KVD conditioner and it is smooth as silk in my opion.
Old 07-04-10, 11:39 PM   #22
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
my 2 cents worth here for ya pal. suffix is what i am using from now on pal. bigbassing144 turned me onto it. LOVE it, spray generously with KVD conditioner and it is smooth as silk in my opion.
I think Sufix is comming out with a new braid called 832. Suppsed to be 8 strands on all the line weights with 32 carriers. I think I have that right. Anyways, it's supposed to be an improvment over their present lines.
Also Bob, how long does the Sharpie coloring last on your braid after you apply it?
Lastly, 66king, be sure to lube that line with a little saliva before you tighten down that knot.

Last edited by keithdog; 07-04-10 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Added content to post.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 07:50 PM   #23
Bassboss

Yeah, learn the palomar! It'll break in too.

Learn the alburto knot, point of fact, it is better than the uni to uni. It however does have a good bit of learning curve, but you can bet it's worth it.

nuff said.
Old 07-05-10, 08:06 PM   #24
GregK9
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

http://www.animatedknots.com/albrigh...tripers247.com

Looks like a piece of cake!
GregK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 10:31 PM   #25
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I think Sufix is comming out with a new braid called 832. Suppsed to be 8 strands on all the line weights with 32 carriers. I think I have that right. Anyways, it's supposed to be an improvment over their present lines.
Strands and carriers are the same thing, and yes, the new braid will have 8 strands across all the weights.

The 32 refers to the pick count. This is the number of weaves per inch, if that makes sense. Essentially, all you need to know is the higher the pick count, the tighter the braid is weaved. And the tighter the weave, the rounder the braid will be and the better it will hold its shape.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.