Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 10-31-10, 08:55 AM   #1
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Introduce Myself

I've been a member here for a year and a half and I've never introduced myself. I always love to read the posts here and I've learned quite a bit. This is by far the best fishing forum I've found and is loaded with very friendly, knowledgeable people. Well, here goes my introduction.

My name is Dave and I'm from New Jersey. I'm 42 and married with one son, 7 years old. I've been fishing since I was about 6 years old. I got serious about Bass fishing when I was in my teens. My son is getting started Bass fishing now. He is starting to want to throw the plastic worms and Beetle Spins I gave him instead of just using a worm and bobber for bluegills. He actually spent a half hour this past summer throwing a 5 inch Senko. He didn’t care that he didn’t catch anything on it. He told me he just wanted to try it.

I have a 12 foot jon boat with a Johnson 9.9 and a MinnKota Traxxis 45. I like to fish the Delaware river and various lakes in Central NJ.

Like many people, I don't get to go fishing as much as I used to. Work and family life sometimes get in the way. I still try to get out at least once a week from April to November and I fish saltwater with my brother in his boat in the summer.

My other hobbies include hunting, playing and teaching guitar. I love sports and used to play baseball, football and ice hockey. I also love mixed martial arts and used to train for that when I was younger. Fishing and guitar are my 2 favorites though.

Well that’s about it I guess. I hope to be participating more instead of just reading the posts here. I would like to say thank you to Kevin for this great site and to all the people here that make bassfishin.com what it is.

Dave
96ecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 08:59 AM   #2
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dave welcome to the site. I used to live in Jersey a few years back near Berlin. Looking forward to hearing more from you and you're right, this is a great site with alot of great info
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 09:11 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Welcome to the site again, 96ecss!

Don't hesitate to share what you know and help others learn!

BB
Old 10-31-10, 05:27 PM   #4
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Better late than never, 96ecss, but that's okay. Welcome to the site and thanks for the intro.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 06:21 PM   #5
Jrob78

Welcome to the site Dave.
Old 10-31-10, 08:40 PM   #6
walkeraviator

Welcome to the site Dave. I too share your love of both fishing and guitar. What style music do you play?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 08:49 PM   #7
Tavery5

Welcome Dave, good to have you.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 07:52 AM   #8
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Now that I've introduced myself, I feel like I'm part of the group now instead of just an onlooker. I should have done this a long time ago.

Dave
Old 11-01-10, 07:54 AM   #9
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim4081 View Post
Dave welcome to the site. I used to live in Jersey a few years back near Berlin. Looking forward to hearing more from you and you're right, this is a great site with alot of great info
I raced at Atco Raceway which is near Berlin, for many years.
When you lived there, did you ever go to race or watch the races there? Where did you like to fish when you lived in NJ?

Dave
Old 11-01-10, 07:57 AM   #10
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Welcome to the site again, 96ecss!

Don't hesitate to share what you know and help others learn!

BB
BB144,

I usually don't reply to questions people post because somebody either already answered with what I was gonna say or I figure somebody more knowledgeable will come along and answer. I plan on getting more involved though.

Dave
Old 11-01-10, 08:05 AM   #11
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Welcome to the site Dave. I too share your love of both fishing and guitar. What style music do you play?
I mostly play Rock. When I was in my teens, I studied Classical and Jazz guitar. In my twenties, I studied Blues with a great local Blues player. I'm a guitar teacher with 8 full time students. I've had as many as 19 students at one time, but that was way too many. It's not my "real" job, but it sure beats what alot of my friends do for their second jobs. I also fix guitars and I build, repair and modify guitar pedals for fun.

What style music do you play?

Dave
Old 11-01-10, 08:25 AM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Welcome to the place to be off the water Dave.
Old 11-01-10, 01:11 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Welcome to the boards, make yourself a home.
Old 11-01-10, 02:03 PM   #14
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ecss View Post
BB144,

I usually don't reply to questions people post because somebody either already answered with what I was gonna say or I figure somebody more knowledgeable will come along and answer. I plan on getting more involved though.

Dave
It's hard to have a discussion without people to contribute. Jump right in and say whatever you have to say.
Old 11-01-10, 09:29 PM   #15
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
It's hard to have a discussion without people to contribute. Jump right in and say whatever you have to say.
Jrob, I will start to contribute more. I had some bad experiences on other forums when I was the new guy so I just stayed quiet here. I realize we have a much better group of people here than any other forum I've been to.

On another forum I used to be a member of, I had answered very specific questions with very specific answers. I shared knowledge that I learned from experience, not just from reading other peoples posts. I was totally ignored. After I posted my answers, one of the forum "heroes" showed up and said the exact same thing I did. Of course then all his followers posted about how knowledgeable he is and what a great guy he was for helping. When I pointed out that I gave the exact same answer 24 hours earlier, I was ignored again.

On a different forum, I very politely questioned somebody's opinion about something I disagreed with. I was attacked by a bunch of idiots who basically told me that I can't possibly question this guy because he was a "valued member with over 5000 posts"

My experience with forums has been that most just have a few "heroes" and a bunch of butt kissing followers. That is completely NOT the case here.

Like I said, this is by far the best fishing forum I have found and it's the only one I ever really visit anymore. I look forward to contributing more. I still consider myself a novice compared to most of you though.

Dave
Old 11-01-10, 10:31 PM   #16
MississippiBoy

Jump in anywhere, Dave...there's only been one or two people here EVER that have given the rest of us any problems, and we dealt with them pretty severely when they got out of control. Honestly, this is one of the few places where I post much, mainly for the same reasons you listed. Either A: I knew there would be other people that knew more about the subject than I did, B: I'd get slaughtered if I said one thing wrong, or C: Just didn't feel like it. Here, I'll jump in anywhere, even where I don't belong.
One thing you mentioned, about the "valued member with XXXX number of posts", really bugs me on other forums. The number of posts you have is often not proportional with the knowledge of the poster. It's usually just the opposite...some idiot that wants to sound smart talks about everything, and puts a on every new thread just to bump his post count. Like that makes him special....I could train my dog to to that.

You did do one thing wrong in your introduction, though, and I expect it to be corrected ASAP....every new member's intro must start with:
"Hello, my name is ____________, and I'm an addict." Please rectify this deficiency immediately...

BTW, a guy named Bamabassman will probably be along shortly. Pay him no mind...he's just mad because he knows the Tide is going to lose another game in about two weeks and he's bitter...
Old 11-01-10, 10:42 PM   #17
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry about the mistake.

Hello my name is Dave. I am a bass fishing addict. My wife thinks I'm nuts. The bait monkey bites me 365 days a year. I keep a copy of the Bass Pro Shops catalog on my desk at work. All true by the way.

I actually like reading Bama's posts. Mississippi State in 2 weeks. I wonder who you'll be rooting for?

Dave
Old 11-01-10, 10:54 PM   #18
bamabassman

ok........i just CAN'T let ol puppy dog get in the last word ya know. hahaha. dave, again i welcome you to the BEST FISHING SITE ON THE PLANET. ( i've said that twice tonight haven't i?haha) as 'ssissi'ppiBOY said, we have only had a couple of instances where we had to really beat up on someone. we don't like doing it and i mean that. 'ssissi'ppiboy is still on probation, rooting for dawgs,lmbo! your wife is right.....you ARE nuts.....but we ALL are here man. nuts about FISHING. better than chasing drugs or alcahol though right? BPS catalogs are the norm, as well as ANY mag containing fishing equipment. bait monkey is our friend too, we feed him and he keeps us smiling and happy,lol. (i gots to be nice to mine, he is nipping at me now.)

but seriously now, please feel free as daniel and the rest of the gang said dave. i said before and i'll say forever, NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTON, ONLY A STUPID ANSWER. now in typing that i can see the waterdogs questions coming again, hahaha!!
but you say what works for you and we'll say what works for us. ME? i can give you the best advise on how to catch dinks all day long. but as for wall hangers.................better to ask someone else, bwahahahaha.

now on the college FOOTBALL question? welllllllll..............we still in the hunt. got some tiggers to get shed of this week, then some nasty little pups, some junior college warmup game, then the number 3 (this week) team in them flying tiggers of the plains. one game at a time.....one game at a time. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
Old 11-01-10, 11:00 PM   #19
Jrob78

Quote:
Sorry about the mistake.

Hello my name is Dave. I am a bass fishing addict. My wife thinks I'm nuts. The bait monkey bites me 365 days a year. I keep a copy of the Bass Pro Shops catalog on my desk at work. All true by the way.

I actually like reading Bama's posts. Mississippi State in 2 weeks. I wonder who you'll be rooting for?

Dave
I think you'll fit right in

I started off here exactly like you, with the same experience on other forums. This is the only forum I have ever felt like I belonged and felt like I was among like minded people. Like MB said, trouble makers don't last long. Again, welcome aboard, glad to have you!
Old 11-01-10, 11:13 PM   #20
Tavery5

Just so you know JROB78 is a troublemaker.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 07:44 AM   #21
keithdog

That is a great into Dave, and you definately sound like your going to fit right in. And ^5 to a fellow 12 foot jonboat user. Thats what I fish out of too, although I dream of getting a bigger boat if this economy ever pics up again. My boat is so congested with all the stuff I take along. Sounds like you have your son growing in interrest in bass fishin too. Thats awsome buddy! Were glad to have you aboard and look foreward to your posts, along with a few photos of your catches.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 08:12 AM   #22
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Jrob, I will start to contribute more. I had some bad experiences on other forums when I was the new guy so I just stayed quiet here. I realize we have a much better group of people here than any other forum I've been to.

On another forum I used to be a member of, I had answered very specific questions with very specific answers. I shared knowledge that I learned from experience, not just from reading other peoples posts. I was totally ignored. After I posted my answers, one of the forum "heroes" showed up and said the exact same thing I did. Of course then all his followers posted about how knowledgeable he is and what a great guy he was for helping. When I pointed out that I gave the exact same answer 24 hours earlier, I was ignored again.

On a different forum, I very politely questioned somebody's opinion about something I disagreed with. I was attacked by a bunch of idiots who basically told me that I can't possibly question this guy because he was a "valued member with over 5000 posts"

My experience with forums has been that most just have a few "heroes" and a bunch of butt kissing followers. That is completely NOT the case here.

Like I said, this is by far the best fishing forum I have found and it's the only one I ever really visit anymore. I look forward to contributing more. I still consider myself a novice compared to most of you though.

Dave
Most forums are full of BS like that. Luckily, this was the first forum I joined when I got into bass fishing. Shortly afterwards,I joined a couple more, only to have some bad experiences, like you had.

I remember when I asked a question about a rod for throwing a specific bait, and mentioned what I was thinking of getting. Some replies were helpful, but more than one asked my why I was even asking a question if I already knew what I was getting... needless to say, I haven't back to any of those forums.

I still frequent 3 fishing forums though: this one obviously, one more dedicated to tackle, and a very local forum where some of my fishing buddies are. All three of these are pretty free of BS though, so I stay.

BB
Old 11-02-10, 08:16 AM   #23
96ecss
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks again guys for the welcome and for making me feel like part of the group.

Keith, it's great to hear from a fellow 12 foot Jon boat fisherman. A small boat like ours is a very good option where I live. It lets me fish rivers and small lakes very effectively. Like you, I also dream of getting a bigger boat someday. If that ever becomes a reality, I'd like to keep the 12 footer too. That will really make my wife go nuts.

I have a couple friends who have Ranger Bass boats and I love to fish with them, but they can't get into many of the places I take my boat. You're right it can get really congested in a small boat with 2 people and equipment. I have to limit what I bring and what I allow other people to bring so that we have some room to actually fish. It's gonna get even more cramped when I add more rod holders and a fish finder.

Dave
Old 11-02-10, 08:25 AM   #24
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have a 12"er too. I mean 12'er hahahahahaha. I made myself laugh on that one.
Old 11-02-10, 09:28 AM   #25
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I have a 12"er too. I mean 12'er hahahahahaha. I made myself laugh on that one.
It's ok Bubba. You're not the first fisherman to exagerate somethings size.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.