Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-09, 06:11 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Patoka Lake - Deadliest Catch Style

Dude! I need to say it again...DUDE!!

The only thing missing was the crab!

After spending the morning fishing my right shoulder off, my buddy Mike (different Mike from last time) decided to pack it up and leave for home, but the stupid phrase "let's just fish one more spot" came into play.

We headed into Fleming Creek, and took a look at the horizon, and saw some dark clouds, and they were blowing straight at us. I looked at the time, and it was about 2:00. Damn...the FLW tournament was on Patoka today, and they were starting weigh-ins at 2:30, so I knew we weren't going to get off the lake any time soon. So we decided to just keep fishing, and hope we didn't get into anything too hairy. That was a BIG mistake.

When we first saw the curtain of rain come over the trees towards us, we both commented on how cool it looked. I wished we had a video camera. However, if we had had a video camera, it would have captured the next twenty minutes of stark, raving terror.

When the rain hit us, we got slammed with 60-70 mph winds that threatened to run us onto the shore, which, I could no longer see, since the rain was absolutely blinding. Still I knew the shore was only about 30 feet away. I got really scared when I could not see the nose of my boat through the hurricane-like stinging rain. I would have sworn it was hail with how much it hurt when it hit my face.

Also, when the rain hit, it was so cold, I was totally gasping for breath...you know the effect when you jump into a pool that is really cold on a hot day? We were both drenched to the bone, and it was all I could do to turn the nose of the boat into the wind. I really had no idea which direction I was pointed..."just keep her into the wind", I thought.

When the wind finally let up a little, I started over to the windward shore to try to get a little cover from the tall trees there. And wouldn't you know it, the rain was still so heavy that you couldn't see 100 feet in front of you, but there were still a couple of stupid tournament guys who were blasting out of the creek area at 30-40 mph, so they wouldn't be late for weigh in! Man, I wanted to kill those guys. If one of them had hit me, I probably would have.

Anyways, it wasn't all bad...we made it back to the ramp, soaking wet and freezing, but laughing about it...I'll remember today forever, definitely.

On a good note, I finally caught my first bass on a spinnerbait! It was just a 12-incher, but probably 1-1/2 lbs...fat little chunk. Since I made the move to baitcasters, spinnerbaits are so much easier to fish with! Even with 30lb braid and a Silver Max, I was chucking it 50 yards easily. And my accuracy was greatly improved, since I finally got the whole "two handed, overhead cast" thing going. It was still a good day, despite the scary-a$$ weather.

I wonder if FLW's website will mention the weather. One guy got swamped. He had a nice Ranger boat, but he was beached and bailing water. I don't think he made it to the weigh-in.

Oh, and Woody...can you believe it? I got stopped by DNR AGAIN. You'd think those guys would know me by now. Big guy, silver boat, red shirt...
Old 07-25-09, 06:15 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

glad ya made it off the water okay man , and congrats on the first spinnerbait fish

jim
Old 07-25-09, 07:11 PM   #3
woody

DNR Lake Permit $20,
Fishing License $17,
Working Bilge Pump- PRICELESS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Oh, and Woody...can you believe it? I got stopped by DNR AGAIN. You'd think those guys would know me by now. Big guy, silver boat, red shirt...

So Bryce, what did they site ya for this time?

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:08 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Man sounds like it was either scary or really fun!

BB
Old 07-25-09, 10:47 PM   #5
CMorg

That exact same storm hit me here in washington. It was moving South East. But the worst storm was last nite. Heavy , heavy wind.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 10:56 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
DNR Lake Permit $20,
Fishing License $17,
Working Bilge Pump- PRICELESS.

So Bryce, what did they site ya for this time?
Nothing, but they would have had to arrest me for sexually assaulting the Verado 225 on the back of their boat if they hung around much longer. Man, that thing is BEAUTIFUL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Man sounds like it was either scary or really fun!
You left out bloodcurdlingly terrifying. I lived in Florida for years and never went through a hurricane...I now have some idea of what it must be like. This was more scary than when I got caught in a tornado in my old truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
That exact same storm hit me here in washington. It was moving South East. But the worst storm was last nite. Heavy , heavy wind.
I can't comment on the weather overnight at Patoka, but I am seriously thinking about one of those personal GPS/weather thingies. I would have definitely went and tied off somewhere and sat it out.
Old 07-27-09, 10:18 PM   #7
nofearengineer

http://bfl.flwoutdoors.com/tournamen...009&aid=150165

Haha...I find it pretty funny Mr. Allen made almost the exact statement about how hard it was raining that I did.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.