Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-09, 10:37 AM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default BPS just got one mark against them…

Just when our relationship seemed to be blossoming Bass Pro Shops slaps me across the head.

You see, I went to BPS to spool up my new baitcaster (related topic in techniques forum). I was pretty set on going with mono with slight chance of fluorocarbon. Well, the rep swore by the Seagur line of fluoro. Being that he works at BP and fishes tournaments, I took his word for it and went with the fluoro. After 1 week plus I hate the stuff. So I go back to BP to exchange it. I didn’t want my money back ($11.99). I was going to purchase some Suffix Siege and buy something else to equal the amount I paid for the Seagur. So they had me wait at the front service desk for a rep from fishing to come back. He comes and flat out says “I can’t take back used fishing line. I can’t do anything with it or sell it or anything.” So I’m like well yeah it’s used. That’s the only way I’d know that it sucks and I shouldn't have listened to your rep who talked me into buying it. I tried it, it sucks. It doesn’t work for me and I’m returning it. It’s not like I’m try to return a pair off boxer shorts that I played basketball all week. I know you guys keep a box full of returned line that you take home to try yourselves. But he insisted that he couldn’t take it back from me for an exchange or refund.

At that point I flat out told him that I don’t care if you can’t refund or replace it. Just strip this crap off my reel. I made a deal with him in that the least he could do was spool my reel up with their line at no cost. He agreed.

I was kind of pist off because I thought they would honor my return or exchange as any retailer would as long as it’s not a sanitary issue or used food item. But one thing that eased my pain is that my reel works wonderfully now. I love casting it and I now have that true feeling you get when you start using a new reel. I have 2 other reels spooled up with their 12lb mono and I haven’t had a single issue with the line. I’m talking about the line they have on that big spool behind the counter that’s like $.10-$.20 a yard. I’m slowly learning my lesson as far as use what works for you and stop believing the hype. However, I do want to try the Suffix Siege because I love the Suffix braid that I have on a couple of my reels. After that, I’m done experimenting with different lines.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 02:02 PM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I love my 12lb seagur floro, Granted I mostly use it for flipping and pitching but none the less it has worked well for me.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 02:43 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

judging by the price, it sounds like you got red label, get invizX, much better from what I hear!
Old 07-30-09, 04:31 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

fish, I've asked before, but never gotten an answer, why don't you just spool up the line yourself. It sounds like it would save you a lot of trouble. Also, like boss said, it sounds like you got red label or carbon pro. I could be willing to bet you anything that the guy that recommended it uses InvisX or AbrasX, not carbon pro or red label.

BB
Old 07-30-09, 07:49 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

as far as i am concerned there isn't a better line out there than seaguar abrazx. i agree that you probably got stuck using red label or carbon pro, i have used carbon pro on my flippin stick but never casted it and it was ok but nowhere as good as invizx or abrazx, i have no experience with red label but by looking at the price i would bet it's not a great line and that's most likely what you got spooled with.

as far as returning line, i have returned reels to bass pro that broke and made the arguement that i should get a spool of line because it wasn't my fault that the reel broke and they have always gave me a spool of whatever line was on the reel. in your case it's a little different but i still would have thought that they would fix you up with some line at no cost to you.
Old 07-30-09, 09:21 PM   #6
CMorg

I kinda understand both sides. BPS is big enough to eat some line , however , I wouldnt take it back either if I owned a bait shop. ( Unless me or an employee recommended it , like they did ). I hate seagur as well , I got the invisix everyone is raving about and it blows goats. I will send the remaining line on the spool at no cost so you can try " the greatest flouro made " if you want. Just shoot me a PM with your address.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 08:47 AM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
I kinda understand both sides. BPS is big enough to eat some line , however , I wouldnt take it back either if I owned a bait shop. ( Unless me or an employee recommended it , like they did ). I hate seagur as well , I got the invisix everyone is raving about and it blows goats. I will send the remaining line on the spool at no cost so you can try " the greatest flouro made " if you want. Just shoot me a PM with your address.

Agreed. Line is a tricky item. Not like buying a reel and having the handle break, for instance.
Some line works for some but not others. Carbon Pro didn't work for me, I chalk it up as a loss.
Old 07-31-09, 10:03 AM   #8
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
fish, I've asked before, but never gotten an answer, why don't you just spool up the line yourself. It sounds like it would save you a lot of trouble. Also, like boss said, it sounds like you got red label or carbon pro. I could be willing to bet you anything that the guy that recommended it uses InvisX or AbrasX, not carbon pro or red label.

BB
You are exactly right. He uses the AbrazX. But he said the red label was the best fluoro in that price range and the best to get if you’ve never used fluoro. Unfortunately my first impression of fluoro was a horrible one. The stuff seemed brittle and cheap as opposed to smooth and strong. I hope someday someone offers to spool up one of my reels with some good fluoro for free. Other than that I’m sticking with mono and braid.
Old 07-31-09, 12:27 PM   #9
sac

That stinks, you can rule that kind of Floro out now

I just spooled up my baitcaster up with some P-Line CX copolymer in 25lb test clear. I had the Bass Pro mono on before I spooled it with the P-Line and I can't beleive the difference. It's smoother, it cast further, smaller in dia. and sinks faster too. It won't break the bank either. Give it a try someday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CXFFL.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	3997  
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 12:27 PM   #10
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

BB

The closest I got to spooling my own reel was taking the line out of the box, tying a loop around my spinning reel with the end of the line, and getting confused when trying to determine how to close the bail with the line going through the guides correctly. I just don’t want to spend time spooling a whole reel only to realize that I screwed it up once finished.
Old 07-31-09, 12:43 PM   #11
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4942 View Post
The closest I got to spooling my own reel was taking the line out of the box, tying a loop around my spinning reel with the end of the line, and getting confused when trying to determine how to close the bail with the line going through the guides correctly. I just don’t want to spend time spooling a whole reel only to realize that I screwed it up once finished.
You gotta learn to do it at some point man it is really not as hard as you are thinking it is and Kevin has a great video on spooling spinning reels .

And fish, man I worked in retail for years dude , and would have laughed you out of the store if you tried to return used fishing line , not even walmart , Kmart or any of them would take it back out of the box I think that is just a give in . And using fluorocarbon lines have you tried a line conditioner to help make it more manageable ?

Jim

Last edited by Jim80; 07-31-09 at 01:01 PM.
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 02:21 PM   #12
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
You gotta learn to do it at some point man it is really not as hard as you are thinking it is and Kevin has a great video on spooling spinning reels .

And fish, man I worked in retail for years dude , and would have laughed you out of the store if you tried to return used fishing line , not even walmart , Kmart or any of them would take it back out of the box I think that is just a give in . And using fluorocarbon lines have you tried a line conditioner to help make it more manageable ?

Jim
I know now that once you buy and use a line, it’s yours. I even used the fluoro as a leader to my braid and the Palomar knot broke. The red label is going in the garage underneath the gas cans until I need it on one of my kids Spiderman poles.

As far as line conditioner, the BPS rep said he was hooking me up by spraying some Kevin Van Dam line conditioner on it. He said it’s the best conditioner out there. That must mean the line is really really crappy.
Old 07-31-09, 02:23 PM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
You are exactly right. He uses the AbrazX. But he said the red label was the best fluoro in that price range and the best to get if you’ve never used fluoro. Unfortunately my first impression of fluoro was a horrible one. The stuff seemed brittle and cheap as opposed to smooth and strong. I hope someday someone offers to spool up one of my reels with some good fluoro for free. Other than that I’m sticking with mono and braid.
Ya, that guy had no clue what he was talking about, just try the other like invizX and AbrazX.

The Constitution didn't say all fluorocarbon are equal for good reason!

Quote:
I know now that once you buy and use a line, it’s yours. I even used the fluoro as a leader to my braid and the Palomar knot broke. The red label is going in the garage underneath the gas cans until I need it on one of my kids Spiderman poles.

As far as line conditioner, the BPS rep said he was hooking me up by spraying some Kevin Van Dam line conditioner on it. He said it’s the best conditioner out there. That must mean the line is really really crappy.

Ardent also makes good stuff, I dunno if it's as good as KVD, but it's good!
Old 07-31-09, 03:06 PM   #14
Jim80

Quote:

Man I spray all my lines before and after I fish , both mono and fluorocarbon to deal with any memory issues and I have no problems .

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.