Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-08, 09:21 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default high water spring fishing

Hey guys,

I'm looking for any feedback anyone might have on how I should fish this spring? We're on the verge of having our snowiest season on record and with 150+ inches of snow so far; we are bound to see higher than normal water levels. How would you guys change your approach?

I'm guessing that all this cold water filling up lakes is going to make the bass stay deeper for a while, but year's past I've had my best spring fishing in less than 5' of water and had a constant eye on the water temp readings. Any sugeestions would be appreciated..thanks

FYI- the snowiest season thus far..... was in 1967 with 180 inches!
Old 03-03-08, 10:41 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

We too are having the worst winter in 3 decades they say. Tons of snow. But here is something to think about. We had a freak warmup for a week in January. For a few days we had open water again. Then the deep freeze returned and it's been a winter wasteland since. But when we had that freak thaw in January, the water level was very high here too with lots of flooding in the area. Suprisingly I was able to catch three bass that one day I got out to make some casts along shore. All three bass were in flooded brush which is usually high and dry. I would suggest you look for something similar.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 09:18 AM   #3
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Flooded bushes are great to flip in. I fished Kerr Lake once when it was 15' high. I was flipping to picnic tables in peoples backyards! We wacked em pretty good that weekend.
Old 03-04-08, 01:48 PM   #4
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
Flooded bushes are great to flip in. I fished Kerr Lake once when it was 15' high. I was flipping to picnic tables in peoples backyards! We wacked em pretty good that weekend.

15' feet of water up there in Maine would be around the 40 degree mark or colder, with a snow melt is my guess? Different animal than what most of us down here would have to deal with. I would think the technique up there would be to find those nutrient rich run-off areas and fish for smallies in the current breaks. Depth would depend largely on the body of water or river, and how much change you could expect with a snow melt.
Old 03-04-08, 02:30 PM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

anytime the waters are flooded i fish the skinniest water i can find. If its spring go to the northeast banks, the water will be a tad warmer, and throw up shallow in the newly flooded timbers/grass.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 04:28 PM   #6
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Make sure the water is rising and then fish as tight to the floodline edges as possible.Once the water has stabilized or is starting to drop you need to move back to deeper water and fish brush or check for suspended fish or anything different like a creek channel, hump brushpile...... But like I said when the water levels are on the rise fish super shallow and you will be surprise what you catch in the skinny water.The very first ice out here look for high creeks but more importantly the best deep spot of the creek is gonna hold the most and often the only fish . Once the water is rising fish shallower again. This is my favorite time of year to fish. C-bird Roast

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.