Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-11, 10:43 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Be Very Careful...

Obviously, I have had my issues with Gander Mountain lately, but today Cabela's jerked me around too.

This morning, I see a strange charge from them on my checking account. Not having any idea what it was, I called them up. I was worried it might have something to do with the batteries I bought from them the other day.

Nope. They "forgot" to charge me sales tax on the fly rod I bought from them in January. They weren't even that nice about it. I got the standard unconvincing apology (which I wouldn't have got had I not called them up).

You know, if they had somehow caused me a bounced check or something, I would be all over them right now.

As it is, I'm running out of places to shop.
Old 03-03-11, 10:49 AM   #2
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Oh man i woulda been mad as heck that's just bull.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:59 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Dude, that's BS! If they forgot, that's their fault, not your's.

*Insert Head Shaking Smiley from Chatroom here*

BB
Old 03-03-11, 11:06 AM   #4
nofearengineer

The only reason I haven't raised a big stink is, I knew there was tax...I just didn't know they hadn't charged it to me. I didn't catch that the amount they originally charged me was less than I thought it would be.

I just saw the big charge from Cabela's and thought "okay, we're done."

I did go back and make sure they actually charged me the tax on my batteries...I don't want any surprises on that a couple of months from now.
Old 03-03-11, 12:27 PM   #5
BigBassMan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigBassMan

Hmmm, starting to sound kinda funny, I got a charge the same way last month, said they made a mistake, did a little yelling an they finally took it off, was on a rod back in Dec. I am done with them.
BigBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 01:15 PM   #6
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thats one of the problems when they have the numbers from the card,personally think a law should be passed if they forget cant add later their problem they eat it.
Way it is now they can correct many days later,and correct and correct.
Many people do not check all those bank statements so closely,and when they do find a charge on it that shouldnt be,often from just getting free info and bank act card needed to verify,thats bs,its wanted as they want to charge you something even if in fine print,like free or three credit card reports they arnt free one signs up by asking for a monthly status and thus a monthly charge of 12 or 13 bucks.
Again they shouldnt be able to take taxes out later your right could over draw your acct.
Wont mention who but I ordered an xmas present on the night of the 21 paid for 2 day shipping ,got it after xmas they refunded the express shipping after I complained about it.Once they get your money or all of it you are unimportant.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 01:43 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Sales tax? They missed it, so they made an error. You owe tax, it's freakin' unavoidalbe and it isn't Cabela's fault you must pay tax, that's on the State and they sure as heck aren't going to forgive Cabela's for not collecting it. So they made a mistake, one YOU are obligated to pay, so get over it pay your taxes - you don't want to be know as a tax scofflaw now do ya? Now if they screwed up and charged you full price for a sale item, or charged you for "free shipping" well that's a whole 'nuther backlash. Then they should make it right at their loss but sales tax - nope that one is unfortunately on the consumer and Cabela's is required, by law, to collect it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 02:02 PM   #8
lilmule

Yes we all should pay taxes but after 30 days not the fault of the consumer,should come out of their pocket or at least contact the person so overcharges wont occur.
Its the readjustment without them knowing is the problem,not paying it.Sears once did me an overcharge took 90 days before releasing,several hundred dollars.So in reverse doesnt work that fast.
From what I recall sales tax is applied only if you live in that state,goods sold online arnt always taxable,as delivered in another state,often.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 02:40 PM   #9
JB

We noticed the exact same thing last month on sales tax from airline tickets. One billing was for several one way flights, the next month included the tax.
To top it off my round trip ticket that we booked the same day wasn't even on last months bill, guess it will show up for March. Unkie Sam gets too much of our money!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 03:13 PM   #10
cassidyta

Not to thread jack, but one thing I started doing a couple of years ago was to use a prepaid credit card for all of my online purchases. We started doing this after an issue with XBOX Live. My Son's account got hacked and they ran up about $300 worth of XBOX purchases.
Most banks will not give you a prepaid card for free. I am able to put money on it through the bank's website so I will transfer the funds when I am ready to make a purchase.
Old 03-03-11, 03:15 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Technically, the merchant is required to pay the sales tax. How they come by the money is their business. That's why it isn't called a "purchase" tax. If I were to refuse to pay these taxes, the merchant could sue me, but the government wouldn't have any case against me. They already got paid their tax by the merchant.

Besides, this thing was never about having to pay the tax. I know that unfortunately, since Cabela's has a brick-and-mortar store in Indiana, I have to pay sales tax. (Technically, you're supposed to pay state sales tax for all out-of-state internet purchases....I'm 100% sure all of you guys do this. )

I'm just miffed about how Cabela's went about charging me. Very disorganized and thoughtless way to run a business.

As to being a scofflaw...frankly, tax avoidance is one of the last non-violent outlets for protest in this country. Anyone here who feels they don't pay enough taxes, feel free to chastise me for my evil, uncaring attitude. Uncle Sam and the state and local governments who didn't especially work extra hard last year (do they ever?), felt plenty entitled to take 40% of my well-deserved bonus. If I were to somehow slip a few coppers back into my pocket, I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep over it.
Old 03-03-11, 04:28 PM   #12
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If they screw up and don't charge you enough for taxs or even the prurchase, then they should contact you and let you know that they made a mistake and that they need to run your card again to correct the mistake. They have all the contact info, why don't they use it?
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 04:45 PM   #13
bassboogieman

You would be right at home on Wall Street. We of the middle class should be honored for supporting both the wealthy and the impoverished in this county via our tax dollars. In addition to all our charitable donations. 40% in taxes is a small price to pay. Don't forget paying the MAXIMUM in social security deductions - that's now IMPORTANT to me that you continue doing so, as I will be COLLECTING benifits in just a few more short months.

I think the sales tax being applicable across-the-board is realitively new. I thought that may have been the issue with the tax.

And you know I'm not serious, just busting your stones Bryce. Get used to it........ toughten up for May........
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 06:54 PM   #14
3dkicker

Went online to check my most recent purchase at Cabelas. Found that they came $38 short of what I was told over the phone. I know a few items were back ordered so I'm figuring that's the difference. I'll definitely watch out for the next charge.
Old 03-03-11, 06:55 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Typical greedy AARP sob!....
Old 03-03-11, 08:27 PM   #16
keithdog

One thing is for sure, it seems everything is stacked against the consumer. And no one wants to come to your aid, except maybe some lawyer who's going to rape your wallet as well. I have had some issues with BPS a couple times, but like you mentioned Bryce, where are you going to shop? There just arn't many places to go that offer the kinds of products we are wanting to buy. So far I've never had any issues with Tackle Warehouse. Maybe I'll spend most of my cash there. But, the BPS store is only 25 minutes from my house.
Old 03-03-11, 08:36 PM   #17
bamabassman

so............does this mean ol bryce won't be able to satisfy his monkey anymore? or is his monkey guiding him to only 1 store? hmmmmm.........................
Old 03-04-11, 12:47 AM   #18
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
so............does this mean ol bryce won't be able to satisfy his monkey anymore? or is his monkey guiding him to only 1 store? hmmmmm.........................
I think Bryces monkey is having a temper tantrum right about now. hahaha
Old 03-04-11, 08:34 AM   #19
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I think Bryces monkey is having a temper tantrum right about now. hahaha
That's priceless.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.