Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-09, 04:25 PM   #1
toppwatr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Eyes on Spinnerbaits

I just went to the tackle shop and bought a handmade spinner bait, but it has no eyes and I know that when bass go for something they mainly target the eye of the fish. Can I use Sharpie to draw an eye on it or will that deter the fish because of the scent?
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 04:33 PM   #2
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I do a good bit of sharpie work myself. Never noticed it was a problem.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 05:26 PM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I doubt the bait not having eyes will effect how it catches fish, most the time your hits come at the back of the spinnerbait. Hence why a lot of people add a trailer hook to avoid missing fish. Most of your strikes on a spinner will be reaction based but if coloring on some eyes will make you more confident in the bait then go for it.

Jim
Old 09-30-09, 05:33 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I agree with Jim, I don't think having eyes effects its ability to catch fish, but if you think it does, and it'll give you more confidence, draw some eyes or buy some stick-on ones.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/reflect...es/309013.aspx

Acutally, I've got a buddy who has a lucky spinnerbait. We call it the "One-eyed Sexy Shad" cause one of the eyes fell off, lol.

BB
Old 09-30-09, 06:29 PM   #5
keithdog

I have a spinnerbait I have been casting all year and doing great with it. The eyes came off not long after I caught a few fish on it. However, I have continured to catch fish on this spinnerbait just as well as when it had eyes. I doubt the bass or any other fish even see's the eyes, but rather the flash of the blade first and then the body. But as Jim said, if having eyes on the lure makes you feel better about the lure, then by all means add them. Confidence is 80% of the game IMHO. You can buy stick on eyes that look great too.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 07:20 PM   #6
Bassboss

IMO, you don't need them. It's the movement, the flash, and vibration, and basic shade, of a spinnerbait the catches the fish. Not the eyes, gill shape (how ever if they are painted red this may help) etc. that catch the bass. I honestly think that the "realistic eyes" eye's on spinnerbaits or crankbaits is just a big marketing scam. How ever if these eyes are red, I do think that they may add some red flash to bait, which I do think can help trigger a strike. Other than that, it's just something that may add confidance, and if it does, do it! I don't think it helps, or dampens you chances of catching a fish!
Old 09-30-09, 09:49 PM   #7
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I'd return it! If it doesn't have eyes it wont catch fish period. That's like throwing a rattle trap or crankbait after an eye falls off its just not productive....lol
Old 10-01-09, 10:46 AM   #8
zooker

I paint mine on with an air brush. However, I beat the living daylights out of a spinner bait. Do I believe the eye matters? No... Half the time most of the paint is gone from my spinner baits.

zooker
Old 10-01-09, 06:41 PM   #9
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I have a spinnerbait that lost not only the eye, but the entire left side of it's face. It still catches fish.
Really though, if you're worried about the eyes, put down the marker and buy stick-ons.

I buy my spinnerbait heads pre-painted with the eyes in place but if I had to buy eyes, I'd probably agree with bigb on jannsnetcraft. Really great site and I've never waited beyond the 3rd day to receive an item I ordered from them
Old 10-01-09, 06:44 PM   #10
BeaverIslander

I agree with Bassboss. Eyes don't matter when it's a reaction strike IMO. I used to paint red gills on all my spinners, topwaters and cranks with red nail polish, but I'm not too sure it added any appeal to the faster lures. I do still do it to slower cranks and topwaters.

Half of my spinners, especially the titanium ones that last longer, have less than 50% of the paint on the head because sometimes I like to throw them on the rocky banks and wake them back to the boat. Some have no paint at all.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-09, 10:01 PM   #11
gonefishin3

Usually the spinnerbait is a reaction strike. Unless your slow rolling it along the bottom it shouldn't need an eye ^_^ and sharpie shouldn't hurt it.
GF3
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 08:36 AM   #12
Culln5

Spinnerbaits are my "go to" baits and I can tell you from experience that a spinnerbait without an eye will catch as many fish as one with eyes. The basic premise behind a spinnerbait is "big fish chasing small fish". All the pretty packaging is to catch us.... LOL
Old 10-07-09, 07:19 PM   #13
Love of the Sport

Spinners always seem to work better for me once they are old and beatup with most of the paint missing.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.