Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-09, 11:04 PM   #1
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New Reel, What do you think? (pic)

Ok... So I went up to Gander Mountain for a new reel. I was looking to spend 40-50$ on something decent. I've owned two reels on this one rod, the first one came with it as a combo, so it wasn't anything special. When that one broke, my friend have me an old one of his that was kinda decent. After a while this reel continued to get worse and worse until a few days ago I decided to get a new one. I looked around and found this Gander Mounatin Pro select 35 reel for 40$. It looked nice, felt solid, has 7 bearings, and it really smooth, and only 40$. I decided to go with this one. So far its been working really nice and I enjoy using it. Going from a reel that skips a whole bunch to a nice one like this really makes you appreciate it. Gear Ratio is 5.2:1.

So, what do you guys think? anyone own this reel before, and if so, how do you feel about it?
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 04:39 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't own onw but Ganders products always seem to perform pretty good. I have a couple of their rods and really like them. Hope you enjoy the new tackle.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 11:35 AM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

hey man,as long as it feels good to YOU then thats all that matters...looks like a solid spinning reel..after you pull in a couple of lbs on it you'll see how it holds up....i use two daiwa regal 2500' for my spinning outfits..you can pick those up new for 40 to 50 i believe..waaaay cheap if they're used (ebay)..one of them is going on 6 yr old and still is my main one....little oil and grease and they run like they're brand new.....only grip is the bail is really rough when you engage it....but i use my other hand to slap it shut before i begin my retrieve....no problems.

well congrats on the new reel,its always exciting getting new stuff......I just got paid today so i can finally feed the monkey tomorrow morning at BPS

im not familar with gander mtn...im gonna go check them out...
Old 07-24-09, 11:40 AM   #4
nofearengineer

Man...Gander Mountain is like Mecca to me. I try to make a pilgrimage there at least once a week.
Old 07-24-09, 12:40 PM   #5
Jim80

congrats on the new reel man the most important thing about it is you being happy with it ,as long as you are all else will follow

Jim
Old 07-24-09, 06:13 PM   #6
nofearengineer

I'm with Waffle, man. I goofed around with that reel today at Gander myselff, and it seems to be decent quality. If you just keep that thing greased and oiled at least once a month or so, it should last a long time.
Old 07-24-09, 07:37 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm with Waffle, man. I goofed around with that reel today at Gander myselff, and it seems to be decent quality. If you just keep that thing greased and oiled at least once a month or so, it should last a long time.
I messed with several GM reels a week ago and they all felt good to a different degree or another. (Gander Elite was AWESOME!)

The Pro Select felt like a solid, quality product to me, Boyo. I'm sure you'll be happy with it
Old 07-24-09, 07:40 PM   #8
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
hey man,as long as it feels good to YOU then thats all that matters...looks like a solid spinning reel..after you pull in a couple of lbs on it you'll see how it holds up....i use two daiwa regal 2500' for my spinning outfits..you can pick those up new for 40 to 50 i believe..waaaay cheap if they're used (ebay)..one of them is going on 6 yr old and still is my main one....little oil and grease and they run like they're brand new.....only grip is the bail is really rough when you engage it....but i use my other hand to slap it shut before i begin my retrieve....no problems.

well congrats on the new reel,its always exciting getting new stuff......I just got paid today so i can finally feed the monkey tomorrow morning at BPS

im not familar with gander mtn...im gonna go check them out...
Gander Mountain is my idea of heaven. The nearest BPS is over 3 hours away, and Cabela's is even further. Nowhere near as big as the others but a quality store in my mind. And at least in the Traverse City store, the salesmen LIVE to recommend stuff and tell you fishing stories for 15 minutes lol
Old 07-24-09, 10:23 PM   #9
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool, thanks guys.

Well its been good to me so far. And I love Gander Mountain, I dont even know where the closest BPS or Cabelas is, but Gander Mountain gets the job done!
Old 07-25-09, 04:28 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Gander Mountain is my idea of heaven. The nearest BPS is over 3 hours away, and Cabela's is even further. Nowhere near as big as the others but a quality store in my mind. And at least in the Traverse City store, the salesmen LIVE to recommend stuff and tell you fishing stories for 15 minutes lol
Is the nearest one to you the Auburn Hills BPS? It's as far from us as it is you, but coming from this way, there's no easy way to get to it. Cabela's on the other hand is about 30 minutes, and so is the new BPS.

BB
Old 07-25-09, 11:05 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Man...like I said, I love Gander Mountain...especially since they just got in the new Mojo Bass Flippin' Stick...I was like Smeagel holding the One Ring, I tell ya. It hurt to let it go back on the rack.

But I am totally jealous of you guys with BPS and Cabela's close by. We don't have either in Evansville, IN.
Old 07-26-09, 07:25 AM   #12
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Is the nearest one to you the Auburn Hills BPS? It's as far from us as it is you, but coming from this way, there's no easy way to get to it. Cabela's on the other hand is about 30 minutes, and so is the new BPS.

BB

Yep, that'd be the one. Drove by it on the way to the Tigers game yesterday, but didn't have alot of extra time to stop
Old 07-26-09, 07:26 AM   #13
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Man...like I said, I love Gander Mountain...especially since they just got in the new Mojo Bass Flippin' Stick...I was like Smeagel holding the One Ring, I tell ya. It hurt to let it go back on the rack.

But I am totally jealous of you guys with BPS and Cabela's close by. We don't have either in Evansville, IN.

We wants it, precious....
Old 07-26-09, 11:44 AM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Yep, that'd be the one. Drove by it on the way to the Tigers game yesterday, but didn't have alot of extra time to stop
Hey, I was just at the Tiger's game on Friday . The first of the two games.

BB
Old 07-26-09, 05:51 PM   #15
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

nice reel just need to go fishin now- A tool is only what you make of it
Old 07-26-09, 11:44 PM   #16
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy View Post
nice reel just need to go fishin now- A tool is only what you make of it
Correct! And it's been working quite well so far.
Old 07-27-09, 07:51 PM   #17
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Hey, I was just at the Tiger's game on Friday . The first of the two games.

BB
Sweet! Gotta give it up for Comerica!
Old 07-28-09, 11:33 AM   #18
WaffleJaw

Quote:
yea i did a search,nearest gander mountain is in Sherman,TX...about 44 miles away.....hmmmmmm,..BPS is only 15 minutes away and i pass it going to and from work.....and my wife's work is next to a dick's sporting goods.

i like the stuff gander has online,ill probably do some ordering that way.....always good to have another place to watch for clearences and specials!!
Old 07-29-09, 04:18 PM   #19
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I bought a Gander Mountain brand baitcaster combo that I love, it's with me every trip.
Old 07-29-09, 07:38 PM   #20
aikenyounggun

heres my little thing with reel: yeah you get what you paid for, or at least with baitcaster, i love my revos.....

but i have caught tons of fish on a 40$ combo, a 20$ berkley bionix and some $20 mitchell spinnin reel and i have caught tons of fish on this and is the same rod that brought in a 9+ lber until the hook came out.... so if it feels good i bets it good

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.