Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-09, 09:51 AM   #1
bman90278
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Back into fishing and new to bass fishing

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and I'm very impressed with these forums here on bassfishing.com . Lots of great info!!

My name is Brian and I'm in Redondo Beach, CA and I just started taking my 4 yr old son fishing after 8 years away from the sport.

I normally fished for trout, catfish, and did lots of ocean fishing in the past, but my local lake down in my area seems to have some decent bass activity right now. I think I'm already hooked on bass fishing.

On the 4th of July I went out for a few hours and had some luck. I caught a bass that I would guess was close to 3 lbs and released it....Then I had one more that appeared to be larger, but I lost it on the shoreline when the hook pulled right out (only had 4 lb test on that pole ) and I had another bass hit but failed to hook it. It was a blast!! All of them were on my white or yellow spinning baits.

Now that I've been reading these forums, I know I need to switch the lines on my poles as I was set up for trout and catfish as well as learning some better techniques on the trolling too. I'm also heading to my local tackle shop and getting some trailing hooks as I know I probably lost one due to a short strike. If not, I'm sure the trailing hook can only help me, right?

For now I'm going to keep reading older threads before I start asking lots of questions.

Regards,
Brian
bman90278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 11:42 AM   #2
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

welcome to the forums. and its great to hear you are taking you kid fishing. i have a 4 year old as well and its a blast to have him fish with me. one piece of advice either texas rig his or flatten the barb so if he sticks you it will come out easier. i know from experience a hook in the back hurts.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 06:43 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome aboard. Good to hear your getting into bass fishin and you have started teaching your son to fish. Thats great. As far as a trailer hook, I never use them. I rarely have a short strike on a spinnerbait. Even if I am using a trailer like a grub. I end up with many more snags using a trailer hook and waste time retrieving the lure because of it. Here is a tip for you. If you are having short strikes, use a pair of sizzors and trim the skirt so that it's length does not go past the bend of the hook. That should take care of your troubles.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 07:00 PM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am a big advocate of the trailer hook on a spinnerbait , to it just seems that about 50% of my fish caught are on the trailer hook. welcome to the site man jump right in and make yourself comfy

Jim
Old 07-09-09, 12:15 PM   #5
Bassboss

Welcome to the forums!

You're right! You do need to up your line lb test! I would start out with 15lb test, and 16lb mono if you can find it! If your tackle shop has it, get sufix siege or elite! What kind of cover are you fishing? Rocks, wood, lilly pads? Spinnerbaits are great, defiantly one of my faves! I would also give worming a shot! It's very effective when it starts getting hot, check out this video to find out how to rig one right! When you go to the tackle shop pick up some black culprit worms, 6-7.5" should do you good to start! Make sure you also get some hooks and bullet sinkers. 3/0 is good for that size worm, get Gamakatsu if you have the money, other size mustad and eagle claw are good low price hooks! Get any brand bullet sinker, 3/16oz and 1/4oz are the best over all weights! Also get some pop-r's for fishing in the morning and afternoon! Great fun lures to fish!

I would also get a new rod reel combo! Get a pfluger presidant combo for 70 bucks! Get one big enought for line up to 17lb, anyone in the store should be able to help you with that! 6'6" rod should do you, if you can't find that, get a 7'!

Good luck to you and your kid!
Old 07-09-09, 04:41 PM   #6
bman90278
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Welcome to the forums!

You're right! You do need to up your line lb test! I would start out with 15lb test, and 16lb mono if you can find it! If your tackle shop has it, get sufix siege or elite! What kind of cover are you fishing? Rocks, wood, lilly pads? Spinnerbaits are great, defiantly one of my faves! I would also give worming a shot! It's very effective when it starts getting hot, check out this video to find out how to rig one right! When you go to the tackle shop pick up some black culprit worms, 6-7.5" should do you good to start! Make sure you also get some hooks and bullet sinkers. 3/0 is good for that size worm, get Gamakatsu if you have the money, other size mustad and eagle claw are good low price hooks! Get any brand bullet sinker, 3/16oz and 1/4oz are the best over all weights! Also get some pop-r's for fishing in the morning and afternoon! Great fun lures to fish!

I would also get a new rod reel combo! Get a pfluger presidant combo for 70 bucks! Get one big enought for line up to 17lb, anyone in the store should be able to help you with that! 6'6" rod should do you, if you can't find that, get a 7'!

Good luck to you and your kid!
I just happened to clean up my fishing stuff and found a brand new 1/4 spool of some 15 lb mono that I never used and that's what I was planning on putting on my reel. Right now I do have a decent 6'6" rod which should be fine, but I will definately be looking at the Pfluger President combo soon.

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

Brian
Old 07-09-09, 06:58 PM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Welcome bman! Great to have you join us on the forums as well as bass fishing in general!
Great to see you getting your son involved as well!
Lots of great people on this site with tons of good info. I'm neither lol.
Plenty of video links that can really teach you alot.
Whatever you do, watch out for the bait monkey (he'll steal you blind), and bamabassman. He's a bad influence! lol
Old 07-09-09, 07:02 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Welcome bman! Great to have you join us on the forums as well as bass fishing in general!
Great to see you getting your son involved as well!
Lots of great people on this site with tons of good info. I'm neither lol.
Plenty of video links that can really teach you alot.
Whatever you do, watch out for the bait monkey (he'll steal you blind), and bamabassman. He's a bad influence! lol
x'2 on that! That man's bad new!

lol mallen!
Old 07-09-09, 07:19 PM   #9
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboss View Post
x'2 on that! That man's bad new! :d

lol mallen!
lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-09, 10:21 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

bman, welcome to the Nut-House! Make it x3 about that bama feller!

Anyways, get yourself a pflueger president 6730 or 6735. and spool it with 10lb mono. No need to as high as 15 or 17lb test, especially on a spinning reel, unless of course you want a really big one. For a rod, a 6'6" or 7' M Shimano Clarus or Compre or Crucial, all are great rods.

BB
Old 07-10-09, 03:37 PM   #11
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
bman, welcome to the Nut-House! Make it x3 about that bama feller!

Anyways, get yourself a pflueger president 6730 or 6735. and spool it with 10lb mono. No need to as high as 15 or 17lb test, especially on a spinning reel, unless of course you want a really big one. For a rod, a 6'6" or 7' M Shimano Clarus or Compre or Crucial, all are great rods.

BB
His rep is bein sullied for sure!
Old 07-10-09, 06:27 PM   #12
BigBassin144

lol, poor John. but he know's we're just messin' with him!

BB
Old 07-10-09, 10:45 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
lol, poor John. but he know's we're just messin' with him!

BB
He don't know that YET. He's knee deep in house framing about now, I imagine, and probably hasn't seen this thread. Once he does, I can honestly say I had nothing to do with this. I'm innocent.

This time.
Old 07-11-09, 01:21 AM   #14
cassidyta

Welcome aboard Brian. Great to see another SoCal guy here. I just down the 5 a little bit from you.
I know you said that the spool is "new", but I would be hesitant about any spool that you have had for 8 years. I would be worried about possible damage from storing it that long. Not only that, line has improved quite a bit in that time.
I am one of the few that does not use a trailer hook on a spinner bait. It is due to the areas where I fish them. I found that the trailer hook picked up too much other junk. (in the interest of full disclosure, I do not throw them often and do not catch much on them either)
Old 07-11-09, 08:53 AM   #15
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
He don't know that YET. He's knee deep in house framing about now, I imagine, and probably hasn't seen this thread. Once he does, I can honestly say I had nothing to do with this. I'm innocent.

This time.

Actually, I already ratted out the guilty parties....oh, wait.....I AM a guilty party! D'oh!
And yeah, he'll know we're messin around. He's my brother from a southern mother!
Old 07-11-09, 09:06 AM   #16
bman90278
BassFishin.Com Member

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Welcome aboard Brian. Great to see another SoCal guy here. I just down the 5 a little bit from you.
I know you said that the spool is "new", but I would be hesitant about any spool that you have had for 8 years. I would be worried about possible damage from storing it that long. Not only that, line has improved quite a bit in that time.
I am one of the few that does not use a trailer hook on a spinner bait. It is due to the areas where I fish them. I found that the trailer hook picked up too much other junk. (in the interest of full disclosure, I do not throw them often and do not catch much on them either)
Thanks for the welcome. Actually I bought 3 new rods with reels last month and I just went down and bought new line as well.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 07-11-09, 09:57 AM   #17
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman90278 View Post
Thanks for the welcome. Actually I bought 3 new rods with reels last month and I just went down and bought new line as well.

Thanks,
Brian
So you and the bait monkey are on a first name basis.
Old 07-11-09, 10:19 AM   #18
BigBassin144

lmao, brother froma souther mother...

You crack me up Mallen.

Anyways, we're all on first name basises (<< that a word?) (oh, maybe it's basi) with the bait monkey. Actually, to the baitmonkey, we're a just a number (like at college) except to him, it's your credit card number.

BB
Old 07-11-09, 10:22 AM   #19
bman90278
BassFishin.Com Member

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
So you and the bait monkey are on a first name basis.
I don't know about that? I usually use my first name whenever I post something.

Brian
Old 07-11-09, 10:37 PM   #20
bamabassman

WELL! i see you have already been told a few things about me huh? well, just so you hear it from the hoss's mouth bud.................WELCOME TO THE HOUSE OF NUTS AND BAIT MONKEY FODDER. yea...they're talking about me an bringing me down alright, hahahahahahahaha. (now i got it mallen,lol) just keep feeding the bait monkey, and remember to send me half of what he makes ya buy,lmao. you'll be just fine pal. (kidding of course)
yea i have been knee and neck deep in house building right now. but the house is framed and waiting on the rockers, electricians, plumbers now. happening monday. still gotta find the time to load the pics.
sorry to insert this on your welcome brian. but you'll understand i hope.
this is the best grou of folks on the web pal. we joke, beat and cuss each other (once in a while only, and the cussing is in private mostley), but we all love one another cause we ARE all brothers and sisters when it comes right down to it, ya know?
so ask questions and give advice. some like me need the advice more than others, lol. i won't go into who else needs it, although i THINK you see already...hmmmm? hahahahahaha. post the pics of those hawgs out there in callifornia,hehehe. we LOVE to see pics of sow belly hawgs........well me anyway,lol.
have fun pal and if ya need to know ANYTHING we are here to help you out as best we can.
Old 07-12-09, 07:35 AM   #21
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
WELL! i see you have already been told a few things about me huh? well, just so you hear it from the hoss's mouth bud.................WELCOME TO THE HOUSE OF NUTS AND BAIT MONKEY FODDER. yea...they're talking about me an bringing me down alright, hahahahahahahaha. (now i got it mallen,lol) just keep feeding the bait monkey, and remember to send me half of what he makes ya buy,lmao. you'll be just fine pal. (kidding of course)
yea i have been knee and neck deep in house building right now. but the house is framed and waiting on the rockers, electricians, plumbers now. happening monday. still gotta find the time to load the pics.
sorry to insert this on your welcome brian. but you'll understand i hope.
this is the best grou of folks on the web pal. we joke, beat and cuss each other (once in a while only, and the cussing is in private mostley), but we all love one another cause we ARE all brothers and sisters when it comes right down to it, ya know?
so ask questions and give advice. some like me need the advice more than others, lol. i won't go into who else needs it, although i THINK you see already...hmmmm? hahahahahaha. post the pics of those hawgs out there in callifornia,hehehe. we LOVE to see pics of sow belly hawgs........well me anyway,lol.
have fun pal and if ya need to know ANYTHING we are here to help you out as best we can.

Heard it from a friend whoo-oo-oo......
Old 07-12-09, 03:56 PM   #22
bamabassman

heard it from a friend whoo-ooo-oo............heard it from a friend that you've messing around.

R E O SPEEDWAGON take it on the run baby
Old 07-12-09, 04:28 PM   #23
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
heard it from a friend whoo-ooo-oo............heard it from a friend that you've messing around.

R E O SPEEDWAGON take it on the run baby
THAT'S THE TICKET! Man, I loved me some Speedwagon back in the day
Old 07-15-09, 04:07 AM   #24
Stew

Whatever mental template you've used in other types of fishing will serve you well as a foundation for bass fishing.

So feel confident.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 12:12 PM   #25
Backwater Charlie

Yep, better get a stronger line! I use 4 lb. on my ultra light for bluegills!

I would go with a good strong mono such as Stren. Use 10 or 12 lb.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.