Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-09, 08:53 AM   #1
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Braid Imperfection

I picked up a spool of Power Pro 30 - my first braid. When I was spooling it, I felt a small bump go through my fingers. I just ignored it since it was early on. Later, I felt another lump go through and stopped and inspected it. I could see a gap in one of the threads, and there was an bump of material right before it. Its about a 15-20% of the size an albright knot.

Since I hit two of these on my first spool, I wonder if I got a defective spool. Or is it normal to find small imperfections on a spool of Braid? I am kinda pissed to be honest since its the most I ever spent on line. I expected it to be smooth as silk, now I will be expecting for it to hit my guides and impede every cast.

Also, what is your recommended cutting tool for braid? My desk scissors were a failure. I use nail clippers on mono but that failed as well.

Thanks.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 09:48 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

No, that's pretty odd, not normal by any means! You probably can get you money back some how. But line can be a tricky thing, show them the bumps, and ask for a refund.
Old 08-01-09, 04:41 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Also, what is your recommended cutting tool for braid? My desk scissors were a failure. I use nail clippers on mono but that failed as well.

Thanks.
Randy, check out the videos Kevin put on the website. In one of them he shows to use a small Swiss Army knife scissors attachment to cut braid. I got one, and yes it does work MUCH better than nail clippers.

I also use 30lb Power Pro, and like you, I am having mixed results with it. It is very noisy, and it is always digging in, causing my spinnerbaits to stop with a snap...it is really irritating. I'm about to try something else. I hear Suffix is coming out with something called "Performance Fuse" which is supposed to be silky smooth like you say.
Old 08-01-09, 05:19 PM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

I also use 30lb Power Pro, and like you, I am having mixed results with it. It is very noisy, and it is always digging in, causing my spinnerbaits to stop with a snap...it is really irritating. I'm about to try something else. I hear Suffix is coming out with something called "Performance Fuse" which is supposed to be silky smooth like you say.
Go up to 50 or 65lb and it will dig in a lot less , you may not think it needed but wait until the first time it digs in and halts the cast and ya hear a pop and the spinner keeps going .

Jim
Old 08-01-09, 05:43 PM   #5
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have been using Sufix 30 for a while and I did not notice any bumps in mine while spooling up. I am thinking about trying to bump up to the 50+ for "professional overcast" reasons. A serious backlash can be torment, but it seldom happens.
Old 08-01-09, 08:55 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Go up to 50 or 65lb and it will dig in a lot less , you may not think it needed but wait until the first time it digs in and halts the cast and ya hear a pop and the spinner keeps going .

Jim
That happened totay, Jim. I lost about 30 yards of braid with it. Well, I didn't "lose" it actually...my braid floated, and CMorg and me actually pulled the spinnerbait up with it.

Maybe I should have had some braid tied around my wrist for Cmorg to pull me up with when I fell off the boat today...haha....boy did that suck. I stubbed my foot on my storage compartment handle, and lost my balance...SPLASH! Threw my rod mid-fall back into the boat though...I can imagine the headline..."MAN DROWNS...SAVES FISHING ROD". God, I'm an idiot.

Back to the point...it seems kind of counter-intuitive that heavier braid is the solution, but I will certainly try it and see...anything to end that annoying "snap and fall".
Old 08-01-09, 09:03 PM   #7
Jim80

Quote:
That happened totay, Jim. I lost about 30 yards of braid with it. Well, I didn't "lose" it actually...my braid floated, and CMorg and me actually pulled the spinnerbait up with it.

I had a good snap off this morning during a cast as well but only I was using fluorocarbon , the line popped on the back swing of the cast the spinner went straight up in the air and landed at my feet in the boat only time i have ever had that happen and not heard a splash very shortly afterwords . but yeah with the bigger braid it will dig in a bunch less and how was the fishing besides falling in .

Jim
Old 08-01-09, 09:13 PM   #8
nofearengineer

The fishing pretty much sucked arse.

I manged to hook up with a dink early on...spat it out at the boat.

CMorg caught a 15 incher, who resided in my livewell, until we decided we weren't going to catch any more.

West Boggs is a weird little lake, at least to me. It's not really structure oriented...the whole lake seems to be driven by thousands of brushpiles...and if you don't know the locations of them...you're S.O.L. The water is also very murky and muddy from all of the shore that is exposed to skiers' wakes. I'm really used to Patoka's clear, stained water. Oh well, another thing to put on my Learnin' List, I guess.
Old 08-01-09, 09:17 PM   #9
Jim80

I hear ya there I had a bit better luck this morning but after heavy rain the last couple days the nice clear water at the place we normally fish look like chocolate milk I mean like 3 to 6 inches of visibility at best .

Jim
Old 08-01-09, 11:11 PM   #10
CMorg

Quote:
Randy, check out the videos Kevin put on the website. In one of them he shows to use a small Swiss Army knife scissors attachment to cut braid. I got one, and yes it does work MUCH better than nail clippers.

You know your line guides could be the problem there. I didnt think about that. i was casting 65# powerpro without a problem , on that St.Croix.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 11:13 PM   #11
CMorg

Quote:
The fishing pretty much sucked arse.

I manged to hook up with a dink early on...spat it out at the boat.

CMorg caught a 15 incher, who resided in my livewell, until we decided we weren't going to catch any more.

West Boggs is a weird little lake, at least to me. It's not really structure oriented...the whole lake seems to be driven by thousands of brushpiles...and if you don't know the locations of them...you're S.O.L. The water is also very murky and muddy from all of the shore that is exposed to skiers' wakes. I'm really used to Patoka's clear, stained water. Oh well, another thing to put on my Learnin' List, I guess.
I agree , it was a strange lake , but I will go back in the fall. You may wanna go back and find those sunglasses this winter when the lake is drawn down.... , kidding.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 11:55 PM   #12
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the input. I will check out the video. I did find a pair of new toe nail clippers that worked on braid. I am still pissed at the imperfection though. As these things go, I get home from BPS search this site for what I bought and found a few were indeed unhappy with the PP30. Anyways, I will probably call the store and see what they say. I will have no problem finding the second line imperfection, as its near the cut I made. Maybe I will try and get a picture up here tomorrow.
Old 08-02-09, 03:54 AM   #13
islandbass

I think that you should return it. I have never encountered that case with the powerpro I have used. A long time ago, there was a probabem with phony power pro being circulated. Wonder if that might be a spool of it.

Nofear,

You won't ever want to have your wrist wrapped with braid and pulled. I imagine you were joking, but with the right amount of tension, braid cuts through skin like butter. Ouch! As for the head line, I did just in to a freezing river to save the upper half of my salmon rod and risked drowning and dying. Call me an idiot. I sat on the shore after recovering it shivering to death and left river skunked. I went to another lake, still soaked and frozen to bass fish and got skunked out too. The only time a bad day of fishing was NOT better than a good day in the office.
Old 08-02-09, 01:29 PM   #14
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Here is a picture of my defective Power Pro 30 lb Braid that was never used, and spooled using a brand new rod.

Old 08-02-09, 04:49 PM   #15
islandbass

There used to be an article at their site that helped you determine if you had an authentic spool vs. the fake. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it there anymore. The EZ spool thing is relatively new, so for your case I would be inclined to believe that you have an authentic spool that is defective. I would definitely exchange it.
Old 08-03-09, 06:05 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd exchange it as well, I've never had this happen with any braid. Get yourself some Sufix Performance braid.

BB
Old 08-04-09, 12:43 AM   #17
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

^^^ +1 BB#2 likes.
Old 08-04-09, 02:41 PM   #18
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Sufix Performance braid eh? I presume the green is the color I want, and to avoid the metered braid.

But I did call BPS and they said I can return my PP Braid within 30 days if I have my receipt. Maybe that EZ spool did the damage... running through two pieces of plastic. I doubt it, but something did it. I think I will do some spooling the parking lot this time around. I have to write this stuff down before I go supply shopping otherwise i show up there, staring at the wall of line, lost. A trip to BPS is a production.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 08-13-09, 08:55 PM   #19
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

get fireline braid in 50 or 65 lb.all other braids are pretenders.the new fireline braid is a 8 strand braid which is smoother and rounder than sufix or powerpro.it also holds it's color better than either of the others.powerpro was once the best but is stone age compared to the new fireline braid.it also comes as tracer braid for those who like a visible braid.
Old 08-13-09, 10:20 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

I knew as soon as I saw you'd replied on this thread that I'd see that pic.

Again.
Old 08-14-09, 06:05 AM   #21
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I knew as soon as I saw you'd replied on this thread that I'd see that pic.

Again.

i'm hoping it will sink in and you guys will switch to a real braid!!!
Old 08-15-09, 08:58 AM   #22
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I was able to return my PP30 that was defective. I called first and talked to a guy, got his first name and headed to the store. Dropped his name at the counter has having green lighted my return, and it was no hassle cash back. I even got to keep half the spool with 40 yds of usable braid. Taking the concensus at the time, I got Suffix 50.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.