Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-09, 08:40 AM   #26
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a 7 foot rod when long arm casting with a wide sweep when fishing live crawlers on small hooks weightless, fishing for bream. Other than that, I use a 6'6" Medium Heavy action rod and a 6' Medium Heavy. I suspect the shorter the rod, especially in the MH action class, the more sensitive the feel. I'm thinking the 6 footer is a tad more sensative, but the 6'6" is easier to cast out the soft plastics, also weightless. I most often use the Graphite Series rods from Bass Pro, on sale at 19.95 and not on at 29.95 When you get right down to it, I rely on my suspicions without having done any verifiable scientific research on the subject. Good Fishing, Mac
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 02:22 AM   #27
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Alright, bama. I'll take your and WTL's word on it. There is something about how graceful it seems when fly anglers present their offerings. It looks so cool. I will give it a go some time this year.
Old 08-31-09, 09:47 PM   #28
Backwater Charlie

Long rods are made for long casts and playing the bass out of heavy cover. But I think any rod over 7' for bass is just ridiculous. I use 6' for top-waters, and 6'6 for plastics and jigs, and I also have a 7 footer that I use occasionally for pitchin' & flippin' jigs.
Old 08-31-09, 10:47 PM   #29
wargoth

I can correlate this to my cattin' rods as an extreme example, I have both a 7' cat rod, and an 11'... While the 7' rod is more manageable, etc. I can cast the same amount of weight about 30-40 yds further on the 11, additionally, I can horse that sucker out of dang near any cover with the 11. If it is a HUGE fish, I prefer the big rod, but the smaller fish are more fun on the little one. Not sure if any of that is at all clear, but there ya go anyway...
Old 09-01-09, 02:40 PM   #30
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

I tried to get her to use my pocket fisher man
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.