Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-11-09, 11:39 AM   #26
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Cass,

You just had to show this while I'm tryin' to learn to get better with a jig and trailer (only one fish ever in my life on a jig), and I can see the great potential with this rig in my waters.

This definitely looks like a winner here. I second your sentiments regarding BBoss. If I were his age, I would hope to have had his enthusiasm about fishing. I didn't start fishing until five seasons ago and I've come a long way in that short time starting with a $19.99 walmart special rod as I have dubbed it to making lures such as poppers and crankbaits.
Old 08-11-09, 12:49 PM   #27
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
Cass, about the hook size....I think it's the perfect size for the rig and will work extremely well, just a little prone to gut hook if not alertly attended. I used to use a small hook similar to that when fishing live bait (crawlers) and finally gave it up as I was gut hooking quite a few. Another rig was shown to me by Bender with a ball bearing swivel up the line a foot and a half, no weight in the worm, but hooked in the hump. The swivel serves as the weight on his rig and he's found it to be very effective as well.... Glad to see you go barbless, I mash my barbs halfway on almost all my rigs.
I have three lakes here that require barbless. It can be a little frustrating at times, but it is not all that difficult. It does make buzzbaits and jigs more of a challenge.

The worse part of barbless is the guessing game of how DFG will check your hooks. Some do a look, some run their finger over it, and the worse are those who push it through a T-shirt. If it snags, it is not barbless.

The other thing I like about the very small hooks is that they do not appear to affect the fish as much on a break off. I have caught a few fish with small hooks in them that were very healthy even though you could tell that the hook has been there for a while.
Old 08-11-09, 08:48 PM   #28
flipclip
BassFishin.Com Member

Been using something similar for a couple years now, some guy showed me it at the regional on the Potomac 2 years back. His set up was a zoom trick worm, nail in the head and this hook or something similar: http://www.performancetackle.com/ren...=400&padding=0
put the hook right throught the worm just below the burried nail weight, pitch it right into the weed mats and hang on. The worm will "dart" in the direction of your cast so you can get it under and into some of the overhanging stuff.
flipclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 09:14 PM   #29
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I understand...I fished 15 hours yesterday (doesn't include loading, unloading, and 3 hours driving) in the blazing hot sun (I almost look like a lobster now hehe), so I was a little cranky when I read this thread...so I put the mouse down, and went to bed.

Now that I'm more rested, I will address this. Spro...cut the kid some slack. Remember he is a kid, after all. If the worst thing he ever does is get over-enthusiastic and post too much (who decides how much is too much? ) and commit spelling and grammar FELONIES (Boss...you really need to work on that...you're killin' me! haha), I think we're all gonna be just fine. I know I'm gonna get over it lol. Play nice...be the adult here.

Anyways...thanks for giving me the opportunity be a postw hore and jack up my count by one more hahaha.
Hahaha , your killin me ! Did you mean to do that ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 10:41 PM   #30
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I tried it in my pond tonight, but because I don't have any floating worms, it hopped nicely, then fell sideways, lol. I'll have to pick up some trick worms or elaztech finesse worms next time I go to the store.

BB
BB, we've used this rig down in Texas in the hotwater discharge lakes during the winter. I typically used a # Gammy weedless hook because of all the hydrilla I was fishing in. You can adjust the action by changing the nail weight size (lead nails can be bought at BPS, get the smallest diameter). You do that by cutting (or breaking) the nail a little bit at a time until you achieve the desired action. It can be absolutely deadly when the fish are in a "funk".
Old 08-13-09, 11:43 AM   #31
jigfishinkid
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I tried it on different floating worms, but I really liked the action on the trick worm more than the others.

Here is a quick video of it in the pool. Sorry about the quality, it is a camera phone video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mt5aFia4n4
what brand of trick worms are those
jigfishinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 12:02 PM   #32
cassidyta

The basic zoom trick worm. 6.5 inch
Old 08-13-09, 02:38 PM   #33
Bob Smith

Quote:

When we used it the 8" Zoom trick worm was the best to use due to the lower visbility and the fish just seemed to zero in on it better. I can imaging a 6.5 or even a 5.75 working in a clear water environment.
Old 08-13-09, 03:14 PM   #34
jigfishinkid
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
o because i used zoom trick worm and i couldnt get that action so i guess i will use a smaller nail
jigfishinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-09, 03:30 PM   #35
cassidyta

I used a 1/32 oz tunsten in the nose.
Old 08-13-09, 07:58 PM   #36
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hmmm kinda reminds me of the collar rig..a common twist between live bait and plastic worm rigging..either way it would be a good currant rigging..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin spro View Post
that post was ABSOLUTELY necessary...i sure am glad you posted it. i am glad you posted all 2,500 of your ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY posts!!!

go fish, get a job, get a gf, do SOMETHING besides staying on bassfishin.com all frickin day.
i guess you could say i have 12,600+ "absolutely necessary" post..
i do go fishing daily..have a girlfriend...i can't however "work" so i waste time at bassfishin.com ALL FRIKKIN DAY....

fishin spro
tell me again what was your contibution to this most impressive of post??

to unload on a 17 year old kid-my but i am impressed...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.