Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-29-10, 05:00 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question Adding weight without affecting the bait

So far this week, my goto bait has been a wacky rigged 3" senko. I have been tossing it to the edges of the reeds and have been catching a lot of fish in 3' of water.
The problem is that this technique is not so good on windy days. Today's wind was 15-20 mph with gusts of 40.
I tried adding weight, but the bait fell through the zone too fast. I also switched to drop shotting it and C-rigging them, but that didn't work either. The one thing that helped was for me to add a large bobber to the line with a 2 foot leader. While this led to several hits, it really hampered my hook up ratio.

With wind in the forecast for the rest of the week, I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-29-10, 05:04 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

A weight, and a small piece of cork right on the hook (on very close to the hook eye in other words). That along with the weight. It'll increase the weight and not effect the fall rate.
Old 04-29-10, 05:38 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

You mean to tell me Cali aint producing perfect weather??.hahaha!
A split shot a few feet up the line could help.
Old 04-29-10, 07:11 PM   #4
bassinbob

Did you try a nail weight?
Old 04-29-10, 08:43 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't think you'll be able to add weight without changing the action of the bait. However, a popular technique, similar to the wacky rig, is flick shake. It's pretty much a wacky rig with a very small jig head.

There are lots of variations, but here's one. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zappu...cpage-ZIW.html

BB
Old 04-29-10, 10:07 PM   #6
Bender

Not sure if it will work as well but it might be easier to manage using a 5" Senko and cutting it in half. The larger diameter (3" ones are tiny) might help add a bit to the weight and it will still fall slowly.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-10, 10:32 PM   #7
nofearengineer

I vote for Bender's proposal. You need more weight, but no more density. So a bigger bait of the same type is your best option. Either that, or sit and whine about the wind, like I do.
Old 04-30-10, 06:56 AM   #8
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The snagless slider jigheads in 1/16 ounce work well. They are flat and have a glide to them and are also lighter than the stated weight....just don't get the Pro model as it's heavier.
It won't fall the same, but will provide a different fall than adding splitshot. Fishing the wind last May, we used them on similar baits and still caught a lot of bass, most of which hit it on the fall. You can get them at www.sliderfishing.com if you don't find them locally.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 07:04 AM   #9
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You can also clip some finishing nails with side or angle cutters into small pieces and insert the piece or two into the "skin" of the bait......I recommend near the point of the hook on a texposed bait for balance. The closer to the hook point, the tighter the wobble from side to side, and the farther out you place it a more gentle side to side rocking occurs. I've used 14 gage brads cut into 3/8 inch pieces with good success.
The side wobble is great with baits containing glitter, kinda flashing on and off as the wobble does it's magic.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 09:38 AM   #10
Bob Smith

My favorite weighting technique for the wacky rigged senko type baits is to use the "clam shot" or crimp shot (bullet shaped) weights about a foot above the bait. I use a maximum of 1/8 oz, normally smaller. This works well in the wind and in the grass.
Old 06-16-10, 03:38 PM   #11
bman90278
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Weedless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Did you try a nail weight?
I feel nail weights really help out when you are trying to keep the balance right or not wanting to add any extra weights when going weedless. My 2 local city lakes are so bad I have to always go weedless when going for the bass and nail weights made a big time difference whether I was texas rigged or wacky style.

There are some great answers already posted and it does depend on where you are fishing.

brian
bman90278 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.