Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-28-09, 12:26 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default A question for Kevin.

Kevin, I read the line suggestions with interest. A very good explanition of line preferences for different presentations. I didn't see any recomendations for co-polymer lines. I use a lot of a particular brand, and I wonder if you would consider a co-polymer flurocarbon coated line as interchangable with a pure flurocarbon line. I prefer the co-polymer over pure f/c as I think it has better shock and knot strength, with the lower visibility and low stretch of the f/c.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 02:48 PM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

Hey bassboogieman... thanks for the kind words and great question! I don't use copolymer lines that often, mostly because I either want all the benefits and strengths of fluorocarbon, or I want the buoyancy and stretch of monofilament. I keep finding myself moving more and more to fluorocarbon.. I'm even throwing some spinnerbaits on fluorocarbon now, which before, all spinnerbaits I threw were generally on mono for its buoyancy. I'm even starting to use braid for a lot of topwater lures, even those with trebles, but you must use a glass or soft graphite rod for this.

But back to copolymers. I may be wrong, but I'm not entirely certain that pure fluorocarbon lines have weaker knot strength than copolymers. If you asked this 5 or 6 years ago, I may have agreed... but the latest generation of fluorocarbon lines are very refined and don't have the weaknesses they once exhibited. This is also a very "brand-specific" problem too. I have been using Bass Pro Shop's XPS Fluorocarbon with great success, however have had numerous problems with other brands (ie. Trilene, Vicious, etc). Blackwater Intl. has some new fluorocarbons out that I've been liking as well, but will require more testing to be sure.

Are you using P-Line's copolymers? For instance, Floroclear, has a fluorocarbon coating, which amounts to about 20% of the total composition (I could be wrong about this). And I believe P-Lines Evolution is a copolymer and said to have 40% less stretch than mono (again, I'm not entirely sure of this either, just going off memory).

So I think a lot of people are going with copolymer lines as a compromise for versatility sake. That's cool. But honestly, I'd still go with all fluorocarbon instead. I've had major problems with P-Line Halo and P-Line Evolution, specifically with splintering. I used a couple boxes and hadn't used it since. Floroclear is a good line I think. I realized a valuable tip for winter anglers fishing in freezing temps... use P-Line Floroclear. Generally in freezing temps I use smaller line (especially for finesse) and will go with mono so it won't get stiff and coil badly. Floroclear has that 20% fluorocarbon coating on the outside of the line, so it will repel water and not have ice build up on the line. On reels I fish with mono in freezing temps, I'd have substantial build up of ice on the line, line roller and rod guides. With Floroclear, hardly any ice build-up at all.

Bottom line, I like fluorocarbon lines and everything they offer. The only reason I still use mono is basically for buoyancy (spinnerbaits/topwater) or when I need a lot of stretch (snapping shallow crankbaits out of wood) and so on.

Great question, I hope my stab at the answer makes sense.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 03:09 PM   #3
bassboogieman

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the reply.

I specifically use Yo-Zuri Hybrid line, in regular and the Ultra Soft if I need a bit more supple line (as in spinning reel). It's been a couple years since I've experminted with the F/c lines, maybe I need to revist them. I found the performance, then, unsatisfactory due to bad knot strength, line breaking for seemingly no reason, and they were very stiff - actually impossible for use on spinning reels for me. I have found the Yo-Zuri to be an exceptional performer in virtually all applications, with the exception of frogs and jigs/creature baits in grass. There I prefer braid, as you've suggested, in the 30# range.

Again, thank you for the QUICK reply. Also, I must echo the sentiments of many here in the forums - GREAT WEBSITE!, you share a tremendous amount of (good) information, and the members are fine people from the interactions I've had here.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 03:25 PM   #4
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the reply.

I specifically use Yo-Zuri Hybrid line, in regular and the Ultra Soft if I need a bit more supple line (as in spinning reel). It's been a couple years since I've experminted with the F/c lines, maybe I need to revist them. I found the performance, then, unsatisfactory due to bad knot strength, line breaking for seemingly no reason, and they were very stiff - actually impossible for use on spinning reels for me. I have found the Yo-Zuri to be an exceptional performer in virtually all applications, with the exception of frogs and jigs/creature baits in grass. There I prefer braid, as you've suggested, in the 30# range.

Again, thank you for the QUICK reply. Also, I must echo the sentiments of many here in the forums - GREAT WEBSITE!, you share a tremendous amount of (good) information, and the members are fine people from the interactions I've had here.
X2 on the Yozuri
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 04:51 PM   #5
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
X2 on the Yozuri
That makes three of us
Old 04-28-09, 07:39 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have to agree with you Kevin as far as the P-Line copolymers. I tried the Evolution and hated it. However, I have used Bagley Silver Thread for many years and I can honestly say I have never had any issues with it. It has always performed flawlessly for me. Specifically I like the Super SilverThread and Excaliber SilverThread. Thinner than mono, they take more abuse, less stretch, and hold knots extremley well. I really wish more folks would give this line a try if your interrested in Copolymers. I've been using Braid for really nasty cover when I need something to get a bad boy out of trouble fast, and lately for spinnerbaits, which I really like. At this point in time I don't use mono for anything. Last year I started using Flourocarbon for my pitchin rod. I really like it for that purpose. All of flouros qualities are perfect for that. However, I do have one problem with flourocarbon, and maybe it's just me. But when using flourocarbon for casting, I have more than my share of backlash trouble. And I've been using baitcasters for 30 years now. I have no problems with backlashes using any other kind of line. But spool on some flourocarbon line and I have trouble. I'm not sure exactly why. But I do like it for pitchin.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-09, 07:45 PM   #7
Kevin
Administrator

I should make clear that when I mentioned my bad experiences with P-Line's Copolymers, I wasn't making a blanket statement about all brands of copolymers, but merely the two I had used from P-Line. I'm sure there is a brand copolymer out there that performs very well, just for me, I always want a pure fluorocarbon for its characteristics, and when I don't want fluorocarbon (or braid), I want all the properties that monofilament offers. I rarely find myself needing that middle ground.

I fish a lot of rods, so I certainly have some luxury to have a million setups at my disposal, however, when I go shore fishing for instance and only take 1 or 2 rods, you can bet it will always be fluorocarbon. You can really fish fluorocarbon now with anything. For topwaters and spinnerbaits, just keep a high rod on retrieve. A lot of the pro's are moving more and more to fluorocarbon for these two lures.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 10:00 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

kevin i just wanted to tell you that i met a fella today at wally world. he is an older gentleman from up north, really right next to you and others up there. anywho, i got to talking to him and we discussed fishing lines and such. he is using a spinning rod and reel set up. and i told him about this site. he is gonna look it up as soon as he can find a camping area that has internet. he has braided line on his reel now but is having trouble with the knots. lost a few fish, and i told him of the palomar knot. showed him how to tie it. he asked me where i learned it. i said "bassfishin.com". he is most likely gonna sign up cause he travels all over and is just into bassfishing. i told him that this is the best site to come to to learn from, not me, this site, lol. so we will have a new member here soon. he is a great fella and is a bank fisherman. i told him to use this site and the gang here will surely help him catch more and better fish. he is excited to join too. just wanted to tell ya that. probably should've put this on the spread the word thread, but i am tired and ready to go to bed cuz 4 am is coming EARLY. hahahaha.
Old 05-02-09, 10:29 AM   #9
Jim80

I've nothing but good to say about p-lines fluoroclear but rarely use it I have it spooled on a heavy action rob in 20lb for jigs and such and has held up to just about anything I could put it through .

Jim

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.